Ways to Experience Icelandic Mountain Guides
from $118.21
from $103.34
from $84.47
1,634 results
All reviews glacier walk blue ice experience ice climbing northern lights solheimajokull glacier hour hike nights tour amazing glacier hiking boots glacier experience hot springs small group lava cave highlight of our trip an amazing experience wonderful guide golden circle
Selected filters
Reviewed July 15, 2019 via mobile

This was an excellent experience. The landscape was breathtaking, the trip was very well organized, the guide - Sigthor - was excellent: knowledgeable, experienced, patient, told us interesting facts and stories, and always with smile and a nice sense oh humor. Very highly recommended.

Reviewed July 13, 2019

This is an easy way to get safe access to the glacier without spending the whole day here and needing a long training or good physical status. While the walk is quite easy, it still involves climbing the glacier on foot, so you will get some pulse. Some parts are narrow but mostly you'll be walking uphill on flat ice. Crampon, rescue harness, and an ice axe are provided at the start. Then you ride a bus to the start of the track where you might jump on another 4WD terrain bus (we rode this bus in one direction and walked the other) before starting the glacier walk. The guide was knowledgable but I would have liked more information about the glacier and glacier walking in general. The tour lacked a bit of inspiration - it was more of a walk than a guided walk.
Also, we managed to get perfect weather, sun and blue sky, so put on some sunblock since the ice will reflect the sun and you might burn your skin. Bring water to drink.

Reviewed July 12, 2019

I recently completed this trek with 10 other people of varying nationalities. Our guide, Greta, was wonderful in so many ways. She set a good pace, was friendly, helpful and kind, and most important she knew her mountains and put safety #1. The scenery was unlike anything I had ever seen. This is a physically demanding hike; I didn't find the terrain difficult however you need to be prepared for some steep ascents and descents each day. Also river crossings - doable but care needs to be taken. I would not have attempted river crossings without Greta; I completely trusted her knowledge and experience, and she helped make the trip such that we could enjoy the land and company of our fellow travelers.

Reviewed July 8, 2019

We’ve done many trek and this one is in our top 5. The scenery is spectacular. Gorgeous mountains, glaciers, lava fields, lakes, rivers, and waterfalls. And Icelandic Mountain Guide was great. Our guide Mao was terrific and the trek was extremely well organized. This is a challenging trek with a couple of brief technical areas. And the huts are basic but clean, well stocked, and well maintained. Highly recommended

Reviewed July 6, 2019

Our guide was a young lady from Scotland (I forgot her name). She was friendly, helpful, and patient. She helped some of us put on the snow shoes and made sure they were secure. When she noticed that I was exhausted, she helped me so that I won't slow down the entire group. We learned so much about the glacier and because our guide was so sure-footed, we never felt unsafe. I highly recommend this tour!

Date of experience: June 2019
Arc_Mountain_Guides, Guest Relations Manager at Icelandic Mountain Guides, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2019

Dear Sophia,

Thank you for the recommendation and kind words. Safety is very important to us and we always make sure our guides and equipment are at the highest standard.

We are thrilled to hear that you had a fantastic experience on your glacier tour. We hope you enjoyed the rest of your vacation in Iceland.