Ways to Experience Icelandic Mountain Guides
from $118.21
from $103.34
from $84.47
1,635 results
All reviews glacier walk blue ice experience ice climbing northern lights solheimajokull glacier hour hike nights tour amazing glacier hiking boots glacier experience hot springs small group highlight of our trip an amazing experience wonderful guide golden circle iceland trip
Selected filters
Reviewed July 2, 2019

We took a private guided glacial walk from Skaftafell because my 6-year-old was considered too young for any of the public tours. It was totally worth it. Both my 6-year-old and my 8-year-old LOVED every second of the climb and glacier walk. Our tour guide Elisabet was patient, informative, and very kid-friendly. She was super-knowledgable and we had the time of our lives. The views were AMAZING. The kids also loved chopping ice with their ice axes, filling their water bottles from a glacial stream, tasting ice chips, and peering down into glacial crevasses. We felt safe and supported every step of the way. We will never forget this experience and are really grateful to Icelandic Mountain Guides for allowing the kids to participate. I would recommend this group for ANY of their tours. The booking process was smooth and the agents were very friendly and responsive. A must-do if possible when in Iceland.

Date of experience: June 2019
ah0208, Guest Relations Manager at Icelandic Mountain Guides, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2019

Dear Carade,

What a joy it is to read about how happy your family was with the Glacier Adventure. The views really are stunning!

Elísabet is a wonderful guide and will always make you feel safe. We take pride in knowing how interactive, knowledgeable, and fun our guide was to your group.

We hope to see you and your family again on your next visit to Iceland. Thank you so much for your recommendation. Definitely send us a line when you return :)

Reviewed July 1, 2019

While the experience of trekking in Iceland is unique, spectacular, and beautiful, our guide, Sölvi was truly without parallel. His passion for Iceland, it’s culture, history and geology is infectious and made the trip more than interesting, it made it come alive. Not only was Sölvi a wealth of knowledge, he was generous with it and also kind and extremely patient. I noticed other guides leading other groups not affiliated with IMG who seemed to be laboring through their trek. No trip like this goes by without some hairy moments and Sölvi, while he may have gotten flustered, he always treated people with kindness and respect. This trip is a must, but I can’t imagine doing it without Sölvi.

Dear Bruce,

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your trip with our guide Sölvi- he truly is an amazing guide. We always aim to give our clients the best experience as a company and we are happy to see that this reflects in our services.

Thank you for the 5 stars and kind words. Sölvi will be thrilled to receive your message.

Reviewed July 1, 2019

After a mixup and loss of our reservation, we were finally on our way to trek on the glacier. Our family of 6 followed our guide Siggie like a bunch of ducklings. He was a wonderful teacher and guide. We had 40 years between us but Siggie took in all of our challenges like a pro. He was so patient with the old folks and added more for the younger trekkers. Thank you Siggie for giving us a vacation to remember.

Dear Connie,

We appreciate you writing to us. It is wonderful to hear that the trip was a highlight for you.

Thank you for taking the time to mention Siggi, we will be sure to pass your message along- he will be pleased to hear your feedback :)

Reviewed June 29, 2019 via mobile

We did the glacier discovery tour for 3 1/2 hours.
This was a great day out but as you are on your feet the whole time, I am glad I didn’t take a longer trip. I was exhausted afterwards.

Our guide (Trig? Or T) was lighthearted, fun and above all kept us feeling safe.
No need to take water as you can drink from the glacier and T shows you where.

All equipment provided but do dress warm and take hats and gloves as it gets cold on top of the glacier (of course!)

Stunning views even with some low cloud and I would thoroughly recommend this company (they are the only ones with a base there so have toilets for you before you go up and when you come down hot tea and coffee as well and very friendly bunch. Other companies seemed to operate there but just have vans.

Do this!

Hi Jody,

What a pleasure to hear how happy you were on the Glacier Discovery tour with Tryggvi :) Our guides are very professional and always put safety as their priority.

We hope you enjoyed the rest of your holiday in Iceland. Thank you for leaving us a review!

Reviewed June 23, 2019 via mobile

Just wanted to sing the praise of this tour, and especially the guide, Rowen. I hit the jackpot when the other two participants cancelled, which meant I got a private tour. Rowen went above and beyond just guiding me around the glacier. Even set up a hoist or two to get me up and over a couple a challenging parts of the glacier. I'm fit enough for my age, but I ain't no mountain/glacier climber. Therefore, when I sign up for a "tour," what I'm really doing is hiring someone who has expertise and knows what they're doing, because Iceland isn't Disneyland. Definitely got my money's worth this time. Challenging, but absolutely wonderful day on the ice. Highly recommend!

Dear Steve,

Thank you for the 5 stars and sharing your experience with us. We are delighted to hear that you had such a memorable time with our guide, Rowan. The ice climbing is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and we take pride on our small-group experiences. We will be sure to pass your kind words along to Rowan :)