Ways to Experience Icelandic Mountain Guides
from $156.00
from $113.00
from $156.00
1,683 results
All reviews glacier walk ice climbing skaftafell national park northern lights solheimajokull glacier hour hike amazing glacier hiking boots glacier experience small group an amazing experience highlight of our trip golden circle bad weather interesting facts crampons safety
Selected filters
Reviewed February 4, 2019

We had a wonderful experience climbing up the glacier after visiting a truly amazing ice cave. Our guide was extremely supportive and helpful also shared us all the information needed about the area. We had tried other companies before, but Mountain Guides exceeded our expectations. Well done!

Date of experience: February 2019
Reviewed January 31, 2019 via mobile

This was an extremely enjoyable and overall easy 3 hour hike on a glacier. The tour provided crampons. The view was spectacular and the blue ice crevasses remarkable. Our tour guide was Michal, who was experienced and knowlegable about the paths, safety and history of the glacier. He also knew a lot of Game of Thrones trivia relating to Iceland :)) Highly recommend this tour+++

1  Thank Lina H
Reviewed January 29, 2019

Just to be clear, I very rarely go out of my way to review anything. This was one of the best tours I've been on, hands down. Jon deserves a shout-out for being a phenomenal tour guide: A perfect blend of fun discussion, wit, and history, a wonderful experience on the golden circle (The Yaktrax were an amazing addition - every tour company should learn from this), along with the Freiharmar tomato farm, The Family-run dairy farm, Dinner at Lindn, and Fontana spas. However, the best part of the night was pure luck. We saw the Northern Lights, and Jon know how to catch them perfectly, and knew all of the good spots on the drive back to catch them. What a wonderful experience! Thank you Jon and Icelandic Mountain Guides for Organizing such a wonderful tour!

Reviewed January 29, 2019

What an awesome company! Jon was my guide to and from Reykjavik, and he was wonderful! Saedis was my guide for the hike and ice climbing experience, and she was sincerely the best! She was very knowledgeable, skilled, and kind. I will be recommending Icelandic Mountain Guides to anyone I know heading to Iceland! Probably my favorite part of my trip!

Reviewed January 28, 2019

We booked the Golden Circle/Magical Nights tour and I have to admit I was very anxious about booking a 10-12 hour tour. It seemed like a very long time but in reality I think our tour lasted close to 12-13 hours and we enjoyed every minute. The mini-transport easily and comfortably accommodated our group of nine. Our tour guide Jón had the perfect combination of the knowledge of Iceland geology, folklore, and pop culture. He was an expert driver on the pitch dark and icy roads. What I liked about the tour was that you visited all the must-see sites but the additional stops to enjoy local foods was simply lovely. Lunch at Friðheimar, the hothouse tomato farm included tomato soup and homemade breads that were outstanding. We also visited a dairy farm for skyr yogurt, ice cream, and other dairy products produce on Efstidalur farm. The weather on the day of our tour was cold but sunny and Jón suggested in several spots that we walk a bit and provided YakTrax so that slipping on the ice would not be an issue. I saw many other tourists without these grippy stabilization contraptions fall and slip down stairs and on the trail. These were a really nice added amenity to the tour. The dinner at Lindin was nice. It was truly lovely to relax in the hot waters of the geothermal spa Laugarvatn Fontana under a dark star filled sky. The temperature by this time was close to single digits in Fahrenheit so the warmth of the waters and cold of the air provided a refreshing AND relaxing experience. Throughout the day Jón was monitoring the predicted global geomagnetic activity ndex or Kp for the night’s culminating event. We were all rewarded by his efforts and witness the beautify of the Aurora borealis.

1  Thank LJF246