“Laugevegur Trail - 5 days - Go for It!!”

Icelandic Mountain Guides
Book In Advance
More Info
$1,799.90*
and up
5-day Laugavegur Trek in Huts
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Icelandic Mountain Guides is Iceland's premier adventure tour operator. The company was established in 1994 by four young outdoor enthusiasts with a passion for nature, travel and environmental advocacy. These pioneers aimed to introduce the wonders of Icelandic nature to travelers from all over the world. We started by offering Glacier Walks in Skaftafell and later on Solheimajokull glacier. Hiking, backpacking and other adventures and expeditions in Iceland and Greenland soon followed. Today, Icelandic Mountain Guides offers adventure tours ranging from short day tours to longer multi-day expeditions in the great outdoors in both summer and winter. So whether it is the exploration of the icescapes of glaciers and ice caves, crossing of impressive highlands, trekking in the extraordinary rhyolite massifs or hiking in fascinating valleys, our aim is to Make Every Moment an Experience.
Reviewed July 26, 2014

Probably one of the best trips I've ever been on -amazing, amazing scenery and a great sense of achievement at the end. We had rain for a couple of days but hey this is Iceland.
We had a great guide Sig Thor -" just call me Thor" who was knowledgeable and with his colleague provided very good food in the evenings (.If you're English and want black tea bring your own!)
We were a group of 15 all ages (20s to 70) and nationalities and everyone got on very well.
We are a couple 61 and 62 and were worried that we would not be fit enough and we did a lot of walking in preparation beforehand which was definitely a good idea. There was a lot of mention of undulations and on the first couple of days some steep ascents and one killer descent. The second section of the walk was much flatter but covered longer distances.
If you get good weather for all the trip you will be lucky. With that in mind don't skimp on buying good waterproofs and sturdy boots. Walking poles spread the load on those "undulations" and help in balancing in fording rivers (that was quite fun and your feet felt wonderful once the circulation got going again).
You stay in huts in communal dorms. If you're on your own you may find yourself doubling up in a bunk with your new best friend. There are rooms to hang wet clothes overnight but these are not heated so can still be damp the following day - not ideal. Not having to carry all your gear with you just a day sack made it a much more pleasurable experience.
A lot of people hike this route for the three months each year it is open so you are rarely out of site of other people but still one of my most memorable wilderness experiences.

1  Thank Linda M
Write a ReviewReviews (1,140)
All reviews
in 12 reviews
"tomato farm"
in 13 reviews

Reviewed July 25, 2014

Went to Solheimajokull Glacier Tongue with Icelandic Mountain Guides - outstanding trip. Thorsten, our guide, was funny, informative and looked after our well being. 3 1/2 hours on the ice was the right amount of time.

Reviewed July 22, 2014

I arranged a glacier hike for 15 people attending a conference through Icelandic Mountain Hikes. Elsa Gunnarsdóttir was superb, assisting me with every aspect of getting everyone from Reykjavik, having an excellent guide at the glacier Sólheimajökull, and ensuring that everyone stayed safe. The day could not have been more perfect. The glacier had been closed due to geothermal activity until we arrived, so it was fairly empty. Johno, the guide who helped with crampons, also made sure the trail was safe. I would hike with this company again, no doubt about it.

Also through Elsa I arranged a jeep tour to Landmannalaugar and the surrounding area. She booked us with Reynir Jonsson, who was an excellent guide: fun, informative, and willing to adapt the itinerary to what we wanted. I'd highly recommend this trip if you'd like to do some hiking and see some incredibly beautiful landscapes.

1  Thank Jeffrey C
Reviewed July 14, 2014 via mobile

Although I'm used to hike in mountain, it was my first time using crampons. I spent a great time and found the scenery marvellous. Our guide was very kind and explained many interesting things.