Ways to Experience Icelandic Mountain Guides
from $200.26
from $87.66
from $1,688.11
1,236 results
All reviews glacier walk blue ice experience ice climbing skaftafell national park hotel anna northern lights glacier tongue solheimajokull glacier ice picks hour hike nights tour hiking boots amazing glacier dairy farm hot springs lava cave small group
Reviewed today

It was just a great adventure! To walk on a glacier, in a crevasse an in a glacier cave was a beautiful experience. My guide Michal was just great, he also knew a lot to explain about the glacier and the nature around and in Iceland. He was helpful in every way and I enjoyed the whole trip a lot.

Reviewed 5 days ago via mobile

One of the main reasons I gave our glacier hike 5 stars was the guide and the team of IMG thus I have to give them 5 stars too.
They are proper mountain enthusiasts and ensure you are properly equipped for the hike on the glacier AND that all the equipment is properly attached. And then you are guided for about 2 hours across and up a glacier. And where safe you also get to go off the beaten track to see features that are interesting.
Back at base they also offer the essentials of toilet facilities, tea and coffee and water & picnic tables to sit and enjoy the post hike smiles. Special mention to our guide Marco for his expertise.

Reviewed 5 days ago

My wife and I joined Michal Z. and Icelandic Mountain Guides on a private glacier exploration on Sólheimajökull and it was without a doubt the highlight of our weeklong honeymoon in Iceland.

Icelandic Mountain Guides has a dedicated structure on-site which made checking in, gear selection, and adventure prep much easier as the weather outside was blowing wind and rain. It was a huge plus to not have to get set-up outside in the elements!

The staff was welcoming and friendly. They made us feel comfortable with whatever we wanted to do on our private tour and assured us that we could refund the "ice climbing" portion of our excursion if we didn't feel comfortable participating on that day.

Although the weather was hard blowing wind and heavy rain when we arrived, Icelandic Mountain Guides outfitted us with rain gear and waterproof boots that actually made the day perfectly enjoyable. The weather, as it often does in Iceland, turned much better within the hour and we even got some sun towards the end of the adventure.

Michal Z., our guide, was amazing from the moment we met him until we said goodbye nearly 5 hours later. His expertise and confidence on the glacier were on full display throughout the trip and my wife and I felt very comfortable navigating Sólheimajökull under his watch. He took us to several spots on the glacier not frequently visited by other glacier tour companies operating in the area, including the "Grand Canyon" - a huge subsurface area of the glacier with stunning views. This is where we did our ice climbing as well.

Michal anchored us into the glacier and belayed us into the Grand Canyon where we spent nearly an hour exploring the many waterfalls, chutes, and overhangs found underneath the surface. It was truly a magical experience. When it was time to leave, Michal gave us ice axes and instructions for climbing the wall back up. Apart from our wet gloves and cold hands, the day couldn't have been any better! Michal did have two extra sets of gloves he generously lent to us to get us through the day :)

In all, I'd highly recommend Icelandic Mountain Guides and Michal Z. if you are considering a glacier excursion while in Iceland! Show up with a positive attitude and an appetite for adventure to make the most of your day!

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Oct 22nd my friend and I had a fantastic experience on a glacial hike. Icelandic Mountain Guide Tryggvi ( aka Trig, or Mr T or Ice Tea) was really excellent. Since this is a new activity for most (all?) of us it was a delight to have a guide who obviously enjoys his work- he was knowledgeable, encouraging, and made the afternoon really fun all the while keeping us all safe! Over several hours we all climbed high up on the glacier enjoying the fantastic views, learning lots, getting great photo ops and drinking glacial water...no hands allowed!
I highly recommend this activity; it was a highlight of a marvellous week in Iceland.
Thanks Tryggvi.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I had a wonderful experience with the tours I booked through Icelandic Mountain Guides. The excursions were incredible with beautiful sights and activities. Make sure to dress warm! The guides were fabulous as well. They were friendly, really well educated in Iceland's history and country, and we learned a lot from them. Would highly recommend the tours- we even saw the Northern Lights (we went in October). We'll be back!

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Icelandic Mountain Guides gave our group the most amazing and informative tour we could ever hope for. Our tour guide Helga was friendly, helpful, efficient, and very knowledgeable. We didn’t expect our guide to have a PhD in geology but Helga did, and her explanations of the features in the landscape we encountered were fascinating. We did the Golden Circle tour— highly recommended while in Reykjavik.

The BEST thing about this company though was how they took care of me when I lost my wallet (with my passport)! It ended up between the seats of the bus and when I called them and told them I had lost it somewhere they must have really dug around to find it for me. It was two days later so it must really have been concealed. I am so grateful to them — they saved my trip!

Cannot recommend them enough!!!

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

I recently did the Blue Ice Experience with my mum. We were led by Maja who was absolutely fantastic. She was full of information and very helpful, went above and beyond to make sure we had a good experience. The tour had amazing views and we were provided with the gear required for glacier walking. Would definitely recommend Icelandic Mountain Guides and Maja if you are wanting to explore the area!

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We had an awesome time on our guided tour--long enough to feel like a real hike, not too long though. Our guide, Elsa was fantastic. She was extremely knowledgeable about the hike, the glacier and life in iceland in general. She had lived in iceland her whole life and was very open to sharing about it. We hiked, chatted, drank glacier water and got some amazing photos. Would recommend to anyone.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Did the “Golden Circle and Magical Nights” tour. Tour guide Tom was very courteous and knowledgeable. All locations were absolute top. Lunch and dinner very good. Bit unlucky concerning weather to view the northern lights. If you want a day tour from Reykjavík, that’s the one!

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We did the Blue Ice experience with our 13 and 9 year old sons in October. Pre-booked the 3pm tour, last of the day, and it ended up just the 4 of us with our guide so a private tour. It was an absolutely fantastic experience.

Kitted out with crampons and ice axes we went onto the glacier and climbed much higher than we expected to. Despite expert tuition from our guide our 9 year old spent more time on his bottom than his feet - but that is no reflection on the guide, just a very clumsy boy!! However the guide had infinite patience and stayed by his side to make sure he couldn't fall far when the glacier was particular steep or slippy. He was also so patient with both boys who found the ice axes the best fun they'd ever had and couldn't stop wielding them for the duration of the tour.

The scenery is completely breathtaking and we were lucky to be up on the glacier as the sun began to set - it was jaw droppingly beautiful. As well as being really knowledgeable and telling us about everything we saw, our guide also took some awesome photos of us during the ascent.

It was a little challenging for our 9 year old and he was exhausted at the end of the trip - we had around 2 hours on the glacier and it's a good 15 minute walk over rocky terrain to get there, and same back again. That being said, he loved every minute of it - as did the rest of the family.

A highly recommended trip, and would highly recommend this company too.