“Best Guesthouse in Reykjavik”

Skolabru Guesthouse
Ranked #50 of 108 Reykjavik B&B and Inns
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Best Guesthouse in Reykjavik”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

I stayed in the 1912 Guesthouse over April for the annual CCP EVE Fanfest, and the rest of our group stayed with us as recommended by those who visited last year (Yeah that's you Cameron). It was an excellent location in the city, being no more than 5 minutes walk to Harpa, as well as the main street restaurants and bars - making it very convenient for anything we wanted to do. Richard was very welcoming to our entire group, and made a point of personally meeting us and introducing himself - an act that is all too often missed in other resident locations, but always appreciated. The cost of the rooms was entirely reasonable, and I felt I got my moneys worth within the first few hours of being there! The rooms were immaculate, and exactly as shown in the pictures online, and the house was extremely comfortable: getting a perfect nights sleep was an easy task in such a good house. I would recommend this place to anyone, regardless of your trip length, as it was a place where I truly felt at home. I will be returning next April without delay, and I look forward to spending longer in the 1912 Guesthouse

Excellent all around!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Korean first
Cohoes, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying in the 1912 Guesthouse this past April. It was the perfect place for our group of friends (o/ Cameron) to unwind, relax, and hang out after a busy day in the city. Everything you could need is in walking distance, including the Harpa. Richard was very accommodating for our sizable group and provided us with plenty of communication prior to our trip, making the whole process of crossing the Atlantic and being jet lagged by 5 hours not seem so bad! The rooms were very comfortable and had enough storage so I could unpack and feel like I was at home. I fully intend on returning next April and will be staying in the 1912 Guesthouse again!

Durham, New Hampshire, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

The 1912 guesthouse was exactly what me and my group of buddies were looking for. The rooms are extremely clean, not a spot on anything and it served perfectly as a place to sleep for the night. With bars and restaurants all around it its right in the middle of everything you would want to be doing in the evenings as well. For what it offers you its price almost seems like stealing, much cheaper than a hotel. Finally the owner, Richard is extremely friendly and willing to do anything he can do to help accommodate you to make your stay better. At the end of our trip he even took us out to a pub, bought us a round and talked with us about Iceland. Will use again next year. 5/5

Jerusalem, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

Although this is a B&B without breakfast, the availability of nearby shops and the excellent kitchen facilities more than make up for the missing second "B". The facilities are excellent, the place is "spotless", and the location in the Old Town, kitty-corner from the Old DomKirke, is perfect. ( I would advise some sort of indoor footwear [or go barefoot]-- as all Nordic countries, the custom is to remove outdoor footwear upon entering -- socks, however, are treacherous on the waxed hardwood stairs...).

Room Tip: I think any room would be a good choice since the 1912 Guest House is located off of a main thorough...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Newcastle upon Tyne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

I stayed here three nights in February (including a weekend) and was quite happy with my room, the cleanliness, and the location close to everything, including local buses (and Gray Line tours). Gray Line drops you off and picks you up from the airport, directly at the door.

The kitchen has only a microwave, but I was prepared for that. Bathrooms are shared, but I was very lucky in that there were only a few others guests staying there at the time, as it was low season. There is no TV or room for guests to relax except two rooms with kitchen type tables and chairs

The only drawback I could see was there were no comfortable lounging chairs for reading. My room had only a desk chair, and the only other options were the dining room tables. To be fair, though, I spent quite a lot of time away from my room and only needed chairs to relax on in the evening.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank cathy7uk
Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

The 1912 guesthouse was one of the best places I've stayed. It is immaculately clean, central and comfortable. Richard, who runs 1912 guesthouse, was very helpful and friendly. Great value, did not disappoint.

• Stayed December 2012
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

Myself and a friend stayed at the 1912 guesthouse over the christmas period and were very happy with our choice of accomidation.
The 1912 is homely and welcoming. Our room was spacious and the beds were very comfortable. The guesthouse was always being cleaned to a high standard.
We were also happy to find that there was a kitchen with plenty of fridge space so we were able to prepare meals rather than eat out for every meal.
1912 is conviently situated right in the heart of reykjavik so we could walk within seconds to restaurants, bars etc.
There is also a phone which made it very easy to book excursions and airport buses etc.
The owner Richard is a very nice man who clearly takes alot of pride in maintaining high standards in his guest house and if your lucky, he may even take you to his local for some screwdrivers!

• Stayed December 2012