“Great location, friendly welcome: what more do you need?”

Skolabru Guesthouse
Ranked #50 of 108 Reykjavik B&B and Inns
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Great location, friendly welcome: what more do you need?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2011

My Japanese TV director colleague & I stayed at the 1912 for 2 weeks when we were making Japanese TV programmes in Iceland. Rikhard & Ingunn were very welcoming, and gave us all the necessary information to orientate ourselves. The location is great: right in the middle of Reykjavik within walking distance of restaurants, bars, supermarket, cafés etc. NIce for my jogging with the Tjörnin Park nearby! My room was quiet & comfortable, and it was good to have cooking facilities and a fridge etc to save money on eating breakfast out at a café. Joey the boss man was very generous, arranging discounts for us at various bars etc! It was nice to relax over a pint at the House of Guinness next door!

Room Tip: Ground floor or upstairs the best option.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Korean first
Nuuk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2011

The rooms are good, better upstairs than in the basement, great beds, excellent location

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2011

PERFECT location, super clean, comfortable/cozy beds, beautifully decorated, very relaxed atmosphere, super nice owner, GREAT price. So glad I chose to stay here during my trip (instead of the other hotels I was considering which were double or more in price... and right around the corner!). I will most definitely stay here again!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
1912GuestHouse, Owner at Skolabru Guesthouse, responded to this review, April 8, 2011
Thank you so much !
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2011

Very nice place in a fantastic location in Reykjavik. As some comments indicate, it is somewhat a DIY situation and you are pretty much on your own with no permanent "staff" on hand. Personally, I prefer it that way. Clean, central and all the amenities required for a stay in Reykjavik and the price certainly reflects the lack of service. Would absolutely stay again and recommend to any independent traveller to Iceland.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
1912GuestHouse, Owner at Skolabru Guesthouse, responded to this review, April 5, 2011
Thanks allot.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2011

Just returned from my stay at 1912 Guest house and couldn't be happier. Beautiful and well decorated rooms, comfortable beds, very nice owners, and charming perfect location! I will ask for an upstairs room when I stay at 1912 Guest House next time I am in Iceland ! Thank you!

1 Thank byuruk
1912GuestHouse, Owner at Skolabru Guesthouse, responded to this review, March 15, 2011
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2010

I was staying in Reykjavik only for 2 nights on a stopover and did not want to spend too much money on the accomodation. After contacting several guesthouses and b&b:s I decided myself for this one and did not regret it. Location was very central and during the week also quiet enough (I'm a light sleeper!). It has only a few rooms and because there were only 3 other guests I could choose which room I wanted although I had booked a single room. The room was nice and clean and spacious enough. There are two shared bathrooms, which are ok (they are cleaned every day).

As one other reviewer said, it's all very informal and as a matter of fact I met the owner only the morning I was leaving. Maybe this was an exception but be prepared that you have to be self-reliant, so don't necessarily expect help with tour bookings or other tourist information. There is a shared kitchen, where you can make yourself coffee/tea and there is some basic food stuff which you can use free of charge. I met the other guests a couple of times in the kitchen and got some tips about good restaurants etc.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Dusseldorf, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2010

Normally I am the more or less spoilt business traveller with the choice of boring hotels, but this time I figured since Reykjavik is expensive enough for everything else, why not try to find an accomodation that is nice but still on a budget ...
After a lot of searching I ended up with this place, the pictures on the small website looked nice enough, there were some good reviews ... I was sceptical, when I got a "no problem we have a room" answer, when a lot of other cheap places were booked, but I took the dive....
And don't be irritated by the simple and easygoing conversation and booking process, there are no booking numbers, they don't want your credit card ... it is just based on trust, which is a very rare thing in todays world ... but it works. And it just shows what the atmosphere of the house is ... informal and nice.
But to sum it up, it is indeed a very nice place, and yes the rooms and house look like on the website pictures (I try to upload I took ...). They don't do breakfast, but there is some cereal and toast, and a bakery around the corner.
I would definitely recommend this place (maybe I should not, because then it will be booked when I want to return ;-)), it is really nice, and especially more so after I saw some of the other "budget" accomodations I had considered in reality ...
Go for it!
Oh, and the location is really about as central as you can get! Perfect, and at least in the Sunday to Thursday period there was no noise problem, but maybe it is different on the weekend, or if you have a really light sleep ...

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank lkayDus
1912GuestHouse, Owner at Skolabru Guesthouse, responded to this review, February 4, 2011
Thank you my friend, I hope to see you again :)