Review Highlights
Snorkel at Thingvellir rocks!

We took 2 tours in the same day, Lava tubes and snorkeling. Lava tubes is quite dissapointing, it... read more

Reviewed 2 days ago
U5014GJluism
via mobile
I wanna go back

What a great experience it was to travel trough Iceland for 5 days with Extreme Iceland. I... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
Patty P
via mobile

2,194 results
All reviews scuba iceland glacier hike day tour ice caving golden circle northern lights south coast dry suit jokulsarlon lagoon the bus black sand beach caving tour small group dive master hot chocolate and cookies clear water lava tube
Reviewed July 7, 2017

I went on a two nights / three days trip to the Westfjords with Extreme Iceland. It was a dream come true for me - I have long wished to visit this area but as I can no longer drive thought I would never get the opportunity. The guide (Palli) was very knowledgeable and good humoured and took us to some lovely places. He also took into account our personal interests and wishes. Having a guide who with local knowledge made all the difference. One highlight was visiting the pool and hot tub at Krossneslaugh which looks out to the Arctic sea. Great after a good hike. I think this may be the best holiday I have had! The accommodation at Nordfjordur was good. I felt really relaxed and happy the whole time I was there. Many thanks to Palli and Extreme Iceland for making a dream come true.

Reviewed July 6, 2017

Everything about Thingvellir is pretty amazing.The geography is stunning and dynamic (even more than that, it's tectonic), the scenery is beautiful, and the history is fascinating. While you're out at Thingvellir, don't miss the Law Rock (where one of the first democracies in the world was established), and the UNESCO site accompanying it.

If you're scuba diving, a drysuit cert is required, but this is a no-brainer- who wants to be working their certification tasks instead of admiring the unique dive that Silfra offers? The ratio of instructors to divers is legally set at 1:3 (snorkelers have a higher ratio), so you're guaranteed to be closely looked after.

If Ronan is your instructor, you're also guaranteed to be incredibly well looked after. He's a recovering commercial diver, with a south-of-France accent and capacious joie-de-vivre. A total gentleman, with a twinkling eye. The whole experience was high on information and reassurance, and very low on stress. Also, plenty of hot chocolate and biscuits. (Looking over other reviews, if you're new to diving and cold water, bring sustenance of your own: beef jerky, etc, with plenty of calories and sugars. Cookies are great, but it's good to have a backup plan.)

Both my girlfriend and I are beginner/intermediate divers, with about 20 dives, albeit some in challenging circumstances. The Silfra was not daunting, but it's worth going in prepared: it is a wilderness, after all. The main challenges in the Silfra are the cold, which will definitely gnaw the exposed portions of your face for the first couple of minutes even in the summertime; and buoyancy. There are several portions of the Silfra where divers must very nearly surface, which means that for the first dive (of two), you're very likely to be fine-tuning your trim. But don't worry, you'll almost certainly have it all dialled in by the second dive (after another round of hot chocolate and biscuits), and that's when it's really magical. The visibility, the colours, the taste of the water (yes, you can taste the water): it really is like nothing else.

The water is cold year round. So be prepared for that- it is Not warmer in the summer, although the air temp is. We dove in the summertime. I heard stories from one of the snorkeling instructors about winter excursions where, by the time they exited the water, their drysuits were icicles. That sounds cool to me, but if it's not your thing, be advised. Also, be aware that there is a short walk to the entrance point of the fissure, and a longer walk back from the exit point. Finally, drysuits are dry, but it's a good idea to have a spare set of thermals and thick wool socks, just in case.

Overall, it was a fantastic experience. Ronan is a legend: if he's your instructor, I have serene confidence that you will have a great time. His colleagues are equally generous and attentive: Christos was very kind in ferrying me back to my car when I had a tiny leak in my suit and needed a change of clothes (and, as a Greek man, he had an enjoyably dissenting perspective on just how original the Althingi is as a democracy!). I don't know the names of the rest of the crew, but they were all very helpful and kind.

Highly recommended! I'm hoping that, with a bit more experience under my belt, I can return to Iceland for some of the fjord dives, or the challenges of the North side of the island.

Thanks for a great time, Scuba Iceland!

Reviewed July 6, 2017

I did the South Coast and Thorsmork tour with Extreme Iceland. Our guide Arnar was a delight. Very knowledgeable, professional and had a great sense of humor. We got to ride in a ultra cool super jeep which was so fun! The hike was picturesque and moderate. I really enjoyed the day. I would definitely use this company when I return to Iceland.

1  Thank Cherisse H
Reviewed July 6, 2017

Iceland was the first stop for my honeymoon, but sadly only had 2 days in this fantastic country. We had planned on spending most of one of the days exploring the Golden Circle, and after some light research, we decided to use Extreme Iceland for this excursion.

Christian arrived at our hotel right on time. The small bus wasn't completely full, so everyone had some room to stretch out. Christian was full of stories and facts, keeping us all entertained on the tour. Iceland is a fascinating country, and I learned quite a bit on this trip. He made a random side stop at a dairy farm, giving us a chance to use the bathroom and get some fresh ice cream. We also had the chance to stop and meet some Icelandic horses. So good!

Next time we return to Iceland, we'll be using Extreme Iceland again for a different tour. Christian was absolutely fantastic. I hope we get him as our tour guide again! Thanks!

2  Thank MisterDoug
Reviewed July 5, 2017

We are both PADI dive instructors with combined more than 60 years of diving world-wide under our belts. We decided to do the snorkling experience with Scuba Iceland and we were impressed by Mariana & Zoltan, our dive masters. Safe, fun and laidback!
They made the entire experience fun and easy, also for those in our 6 people group that had never been in dry suits or water this cold. We looked at other companies taking up to 14 people at a time and we were happy campers with Scuba Iceland.
Top noth gear and suits, solid briefing, taking the time to get participants relaxed and hot choclate and cookies after the snorkel dive. Did we mention Mariana & Zoltan?? Ask for them and you have great time.

1  Thank MMBonaire