Ways to Experience DIVE.IS
from $193.00
from $242.00
from $245.60
3,392 results
All reviews dry suit hot chocolate and cookies tectonic plates snorkeling tour once in a lifetime silfra fissure amazing experience clearest water diving experience continental plates wool socks water temperature bucket list explained everything great guide midnight sun these guys
Selected filters
Reviewed August 23, 2015

I did the afternoon snorkeling in Silfra with a friend and Patrik as our guide. I can't comment much on the transportation since we went to the diving spot with our own car. The tour started with a lively briefing given by our manly guide Patrik. The briefing was succinct, on point and peppered with just the right amount of humor to keep the audience awake and focused.

After that we proceeded with gearing up from head to toe in drysuits. It was requested for customers to wear a long sleeved shirt, long johns and double (woolly) socks under the drysuit since the water can get pretty cold so that is something to consider when packing if you consider booking this attraction. The overalls you get to wear under the drysuit are quite warm however so there's no need to really lose sleep over insulation.

The guides helped us change into the diving suits and I have to give special thanks to Siobhan who was running surface duty that day for her helpful demeanor and just approximations when sizing up my drysuit - after the dive not a single drop of water had found it's way inside the suit.

With suits on it was now time to enter Silfra's icy waters. There are two distinct things I remember when first submerging my face:

1. The view was so much more stunning than I expected looking down from the shore. I don't want to spoil too much, however suffice to say that the all the refraction at the surface skews things up pretty unfavourably.

2. The water is reaally cold and makes your face (what little of it isn't protected by the suit) feel quite horrible for the first few minutes. This however will pass rather quick and didn't really detract from the experience after a few minutes. Other than that I didn't really feel very cold at all thanks to the drysuit.

We were divided to three groups, each with an instructor and 8 snorklers. Patrik was the instructor in our group. He went out of his way to guide us and keep everyone safely together. He even freedived several meters undewater to take pictures of us snorklers! At the end he stayed in the water with the last snorklers for as long as they wished: at no point felt the tour rushed. The whole experience was very relaxing actually, the water is cold but crystal clear and there is a small current so you can mostly just float and admire the scenery. Then again, for the more adventurous Patrik helpfully provided advice on how to try freediving in a drysuit (which is considerably harder than you might think!).

After the dive we went back to the shore to dry off and were offered some cookies and nearly and endless supply of hot chocolate. The whole endeavor transport included took about 5 hours, of which about 30-40 min is spent snorkeling. I can whole heartedly recommend snorkeling in Silfra with Dive.is, it truly was the most memorable and special attraction during our trip to Iceland!

1  Thank Lauri R
Reviewed August 20, 2015

Stunning. Breath-taking, great service!! Don't miss it. Highlight of our visit!! Don't worry about the cold.

1  Thank 17BettyBoop17
Reviewed August 20, 2015 via mobile

Although I'm a qualified diver, we just went snorkelling in the fissure. But the water is so clear this is more than adequate as you can see right to the bottom.

You'll be organised into groups of about 10, with 1 guide to each group. Our guide was German but he spoke excellent English.

If you've not done this before and are at all claustrophobic this may not be for you. (The suits alone are restrictive and might freak you out if you're not used to them.) One girl in our group bottled it at the last moment in tears. But the other staff on hand took good care of her; she wasn't just abandoned.

The water is cold (about 3 degrees celsius) but the dry suits are pretty good - you'll probably only notice the cold around your face along the small gap between mask and hood.

It is all set in a World Heritage site and most visitors were treating it as such. It's pretty unspoilt save for a few pathways and the steps into and out of the water.

I heard a few complaints and cringed: "no fish" and "no golf buggies" (to take you the ~50 yards from the car park to the fissure) - neither of those are what you are there for! You are in a unique place; enjoy it for what it is and has to offer.

Overall we were well looked after, with hot chocolate and chocolate biscuits post dive nicely completing the adventure.

It's really only a half day experience (depending on exactly what time you get there) so should be easy to squeeze into a short stay in Iceland; I recommend that you do!

Date of experience: July 2015
1  Thank AndyFogg
Reviewed August 17, 2015 via mobile

Our group of 4 did the 5 pm Silfra snorkel. The guides were awesome. It takes a while to get into the dry suits but there are lots I guides around to help. The Silfra crack was very neat to see. The water is super clear. While the water is very cold, the dry suit keeps you pretty warm. Our hands were the only part that felt super cold. Afterward, you get hot chocolate and cookies.

1  Thank melbell1
Reviewed August 16, 2015 via mobile

We trained for our scuba certification solely to dive at Silfra. It was well worth the preparation to experience such clarity and unsurpassed geological features. If you have any hesitations on diving at Silfra, just do it! Well worth the time and money; especially because of the Dive.IS team. I've never had an experience so dedicated to our comfort and enjoyment. As most divers know, it is a labor intensive process to prep the gear for a dive, however the crew took care of EVERYTHING. That left nothing for us to do but to relax and enjoy the experience. Our guides, Rachel and Adrian and land crew, Jose, we're professional, helpful, and personable. Thanks to them, and the beauty of the site, this was an experience we'll never forget.

2  Thank Heatherhousekn