“Bad Equipment, rude staff”
Review of DIVE.IS

and up
Silfra Snorkeling Tour from Reykjavik
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: A close second is our passion for creating once in a lifetime experiences for our guests. Our ambition is always to maximize the enjoyment and experience of our divers and non-divers alike through close personal attention and professional guidance. In all honesty, we do get our kicks primarily from the smiles on the faces of our people at the end of an epic dive
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Diving the Silfra crack is a highly recommended experience - but avoid this operator.

I met them at the office, drove to do the pick ups, and then went to the site. The insulating layers for the dry suits were old and had rips and tears. The mask I was given was broken - and there was no extra, so the divemaster traded with me.

We went in the water, and submerged to check our weights - as soon as my shoulders went under, I felt a gus of water enter my dry suit. I came up, and took the regulator out of my mouth - and said "I'm wet!"

The divemaster didn't believe me - and had me go down two more times. Each time I got wetter and wetter. Finally - we went back to the van, and he put me in a different dry suit. I used another ratty, torn up insulating layer, and both of my underlayers were soaked. He also put a collar around me that made it hard to breath. We went back in, and the SAME THING HAPPENED.

I then went back to the van on my own, and took my underlayers off, and sat in the van with no shirt on and my jacket sipped up. I was wet, freezing an miserable. The other staff members ignored me and were rude when I asked to speak to a manager.

Later on, after the office manager Hossi explained that my neck is too small for the suits, and called me a (rhymes with) witch, I got a refund.

The next day I booked the same tour through Arctic Adventures - and had no issues. My neck is not too small - their equipment is bad.

TobiasKlose, General Manager at DIVE.IS, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2012

Rinwonderland!

I have been waiting for your tripadvisor review since you were on tour with us on the 6th of October. You told us that if we wouldn‘t pay you the double amount of the tour price back, you would write a bad review on tripadvisor. That seems to be a creative way of making money.

I will report your review since it is against tripadvisor guidelines to threaten a company of writing a bad review if not complying to customer demands.

Before I continue commenting on the content of your review I have noticed that DanielaO_81 was on the same tour with you and wrote a review as well. It is 3 reviews down from this one (when sorted by date). It might help giving a clearer perspective of this occurance.
Concerning our dry suits, their age and condtion, sizes and our maintanance:
We have over 40 dry suits, all top of the line BARE XCD2 or BARE CD4 dry suits in all standard and many non-standard sizes.
None of our suits is older than 2 years or do more than a certain amount of dives before they are sold. The suits are checked after every tour, maintained frequently and if applicable repaired. They are sold before they get old. The same counts for our undergarments and the rest of our equipment.
It happens hardly ever that a diver or snorkeler gets into a suit that has a defect.
In your case there wasn‘t either a defect on the suit, but your neck seal was a bit wide for your neck. We have special adjustable rubber bands that help us tightening the neck seal if this is the case.

Even though a dry suit fits 100% correctly and a diver bends his neck far forward, e.g. to look down, it can happen that a bit of water seaps in at the neck. It‘s not comfortable but not a huge deal.

If a lot of water gushes in into the suit, which I have seen less than 5 times happening in my diving career, it is a different story and a safety concern for sure.
However, I personally inspected both undergarments and dry suits you used and saw that the top part of the back of the first undergarment you used was slightly wet. The second undergament wasn‘t wet at all.
Our office manager and myself were on a whale watching safari when our guide (the one you saying ignored you) called and said that you would like to speak to the manager. I have a very hard time believing that this guide (or any other of our guides for that matter) is rude. As a matter of fact I know that it was the other way around.

I know our office manager for decades both personally and professionally and it is not in his character to be rude or use words that rhyme with witch. For most part of the phone conversation I was standing right next to him.

He did everything in the book, starting with listening to your story, he talked to the guides, trying to find reason for the problem, apologized (frequently) to you, offered you to come again on another tour as well as to refund you the full tour price.

There was nothing that could calm you down, I could hear your screaming through the phone being pressed on the office managers ear demanding a refund of the double amount of the tour price and a free tour on the next day.

After more than 30 minutes on the phone, that was the point we had to realize that there is nothing we can do to reconcile and that we do not want to have you on another tour with us.

There are newer reviews for DIVE.IS

Reviewed October 28, 2012

The guides are great, and the experience was awesome. Pure fun! Yes, the water is cold, but I didn't mind. It's a worthwhile experience that I recommend to anyone.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

From the initial emails to confirm the trip and queries, Hana from Dive.is has been extremely helpful in providing information and answering our numerous questions. The actual snorkelling along the Silfra Fissure was a real experience. Though not our first snorkelling trip, getting into a dry suit was, and that alone is memorable in its own right!

Our guide, Joaquim was very helpful and knowledgeable. The actual snorkelling in the clear serene waters was FANTASTIC, and the clarity of being able to see everything underwater and along the fissure makes the trip in the cold worth every minute!

Thanks to Dive.is for making this a memorable and awesome experience!

Reviewed October 18, 2012

I signed up for a day trip including two dives with Dive.is to Silfra. They responded quickly to my mail and gave me good instructions for what to bring with me for the dive. I was picked up at the hotel and the group I was diving with was kept small with four divers plus the instructor. One of the members of our group had problems with her suit and I thought our instructor handled the situation very well, ensuring her safety and comfort, even though the rest of us ended up having to wait for some time to get started. The instructor gave clear instructions and often checked that everything was okay with all of us during the dive. I ended up having some problems during my second dive but I still left feeling satisfied with the experience and the service of the diving company.

Diving in Iceland is truly an experience and well worth it!

2  Thank DanielaO_81
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Me and 5 friends booked on the snorkelling tour. Everything was top notch. The equipment (thermal body suit and dry suits) were all great and although there was some groaning and grunting to get into them it was well worth it for warmth in the water. The water is so clear and clean enough to drink. It's easy to float along in the slight current with all the gear keeping you floating. Guide was really helpful and patient with us all. Amazing trip - highly recommended.