“Dead Skeleton's favorite restaurant in Iceland!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Nepalese Kitchen

Nepalese Kitchen
Ranked #57 of 455 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: Asian, Tibetan, Indian, Nepali
Good for: Special occasions, Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: Nepalese Kitchen restaurant offers a delicately spiced Nepalese and Indian Grill & Curry. Kitchen's Nepalese dishes originate predominantly in the Newari cuisine, praised for its rich taste as well as for its dietary benefits. All our food is glutein free. If you have any allergies, please let us know and we will adjust the food for you.
Reykjavík, Gullbringusysla, Iceland
“Dead Skeleton's favorite restaurant in Iceland!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

Kitchen - Eldhús is our favorite restaurant in Reykjavík! The food is very very good and the service is excellent. Have a chat with the owner about the family recipes from Nepal and listen to traditional Nepalese music while dining and you are in for a great and interesting evening.

• Visited November 2012
5 Thank J_n_S_12266

Exeter, New Hampshire
“I wish I could find food this good in the USA!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

What a wonderful experience!! I made the reservation on line for 19 people and then I showed up on the wrong day... Not only was the owner understanding, but he was able to accommodate us graciously. The food was absolutely amazing! He took such good care of the entire group, even making us a "special meal". You MUST try the sweet Naan....omg!! Fabulous! Every bite was delicious and my entire group walked away full and very satisfied. Thank you!!!

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank makoben1
Aarhus Denmark
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A nice evening with nepalese food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

Very nice food, and very good service. I will defintely give this restaurant 5 out of 5 if it was not for the long waiting time. We were there a saturday night and the house was not full, but we still waited for mere thn 40 minutes beore we our appetizers.
But the food was worth waiting for! Nice and creative, the cook is a genouis!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Yankie G
Penrith, United Kingdom
“Great food and great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

Went to Kitchen Eldhus on the 8th October with my partner and was amazed by the taste of the food.
Walked in and was met stright away and seated and handed the menu, after we had got drinks and ordered food, after a short time the starters arrived plus an extra complimentry starter, all was very tasty.
Was then told after we had finished the starter, that we would not be charged for them due to a mistake as one of the starters should of had cheese in it but never did, we would not have known this and the staters were very nice and tasty but it was nice of them not to charge us for them!
The mains arrived a little while later, my partner had the Chicken Murgh Masala, which blew her away with the taste, I can not remember what the name of mine was but it was the most expensive thing on the menu and was very very tasty. The sevice was great from start to finish and at the end of our stay we were offered coupons of 25% off our next meal there (another nice touch)
We went back there for my birthday the very next day and again was meet stright away with a smile and got the same seats, they remembered our drinks, and the food was just as good as the first time.
The taste of the Chicken Murgh Masala was out of this world, i would travel back to Iceland just for the food and service at the Kitchen Eldhus!!

2 Thank ShaunMartin
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
“A chef that actually cares, and it shows!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

So what does a vegetarian eat in Reykjavík, the capital of one of the most meat-loving countries in the world? What do I choose when the menu of most restaurants is populated by puffin, whale, shark and all sorts of other things that are about as veggie un-friendly as it is possible to be? Thankfully, Cafe Eldhus is here to help.

This Nepalese/Indian restaurant is located on Laugavegur, Reykjavík's main street. We wandered in and were seated immediately - in fact, we were surprised how quiet it was after reading the rave reviews on TripAdvisor. The decor of the restaurant is pretty typical of any European Indian restaurant, it was comfortable and clean. On looking over the menu, I was very impressed. Not only did I see the usual Indian favourites, it was good to see some more unusual Nepalese dishes - many of which are vegetarian (which was good for me, as Reykjavík isn't the most veggie-friendly city).

I am glad to report that the food was fantastic. The spices were just right, the ingredients (particularly the cheeses) tasted very fresh. I chose the vegetable samosas to start, and I feel like this is the first time I have ever eaten a REAL samosa (most Indian restaurants in Europe serve ready-prepared samosas. Here, they looked and tasted completely different and completely fresh!) We were given a complimentary 'house starter' which was delicious. This is a nice touch. I also tried a traditional Nepalese yoghurt desert which was fantastic, and I've never seen it on the menu anywhere else.

Whilst the food was superb, what really made this place special was the service. From the start, it was a welcoming and friendly experience. The waitresses were always on hand and we didn't have to wait too long for food. Later, the chef came out and spoke with us; he genuinely seemed to care that people were enjoying the cuisine. He even pointed out an item on the menu that he wouldn't serve because he wasn't happy with the quality of the ingredients that day. This is something you rarely see in restaurants these day, which is a shame.

I would recommend this place to anyone visiting Reykjavík, it was a highlight of our trip and I'll definitely be back when I'm next in Iceland. The only downside was that the food was so good, I ate far too much!

1 Thank Raydar