“Great tour - small groups!”
Review of Iceland Horizon

Iceland Horizon
Book In Advance
More Info
$133.94*
and up
Full Day Small Group South Shore Tour by Minibus
More attraction details
Owner description: Operating only a few select daily scheduled tours which are always in small groups, Iceland Horizon is a small, family run tour operation with no intention of becoming a large bus company. Our philosophy has always been that you are travelling on a guided tour and the bus is just a means of transport, keeping the experience more personal, friendly and fun for both travellers and guides. We also arrange tours for groups wanting a private or individual arrangement.
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Skip the large buses and try Iceland horizon. Our guide David was quite knowledgable and took us to the big 3 attractions as well as a few other small stops. Liked the small tour approach (~10 of us). More time seeing sites than waiting for others to get back to the bus. With a small group guide was also amenable to requests (eg stop to take photos of wild horses.) This company also has a few other tours (we did the southern coast, but there is also whale watching /nature excursion). If you book more than 1 you'll be offered a small discount... Would be worth full price!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,460)

Reviewed February 11, 2013

The Golden Circle tour is not to be missed and you should ensure that you make time for this trip if you want a real taste of Iceland.

We went on the day trip tour booked through Iceland Horizons, on a smaller tour bus (I think 16 people in total) which offered a more personal tour. We were picked up and later dropped off at our hotel on time. The tour guide David was extremely knowledgeable about the area and history of Iceland. He gave us an informative insight into each of the highlights along the way. While we stopped at all the main sights on the route, we also stopped at some extra places as well i.e. to stroke the horses and for better photo opportunities when the sun was low across a lake. I am sure this would not have been offered on the larger tours. A truly memorable tour.

1  Thank brady33
Reviewed February 10, 2013

My friend and I went on the tour with David on his Iceland Horizon Golden Circle Tour on February 4th, 2013 and it was the best tour I have ever gone on! David was so informative, gave us the enchanting history of this beautiful country, took us to the most amazing locations, stopped so we could meet the Icelandic Horses on the side of the road, and showed us how much Iceland means to him, making us feel so welcome and happy to have made this journey! When you go to Iceland make sure and call him to take any of his tours and the next time we go back, we will take the South Shore and Northern Lights tours he also offers. This tour and the moments encountered along the way that beautiful snowy day will always be one of the most cherished days of my entire life! Thanks David!

2  Thank Veronika W
Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

I had originally planned to drive this route as I had booked a car prior- this was good for a coastal drive, but glad I used a tour for this route. All of the tour went to plan- the minibus was fully booked but still comfortable- only issue was steamy windows which is less of a prob on a coach. David gave a great commentary- not usually a fan of too much chat but this was interesting and at a reasonable level. Small group size made timings better . Overall a good option for this tour and a better price than the larger operators.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

I cannot say enough about how fantastic this tour was. Absolutely, positively, one of the best things we did in Iceland.

Let's start with the intro to the tour: After arriving a few days prior in Reykjavik with no real plans on the horizon, we were swayed by the excellent stories of others in our hotel about the Golden Circle. However, I am not a fan of Big Bus tours. So at around midnight, after some Tripadvisor research, I decided to call Iceland Horizons to see if there was a recorded message about tour availability for the following day. There wasn't, so I hung up.

About 20 minutes later, I received a call from David, the owner, who had seen my missed call and was following up. Let me repeat this: He looked up my # and called me back after midnight to see if they could accommodate us. Though the morning tour was almost full, David said he could squeeze us in, no problem. THAT is customer service.

As promised, at 8:30 the next morning, Gerta our driver showed up right on time. You could not ask for a more knowledgeable, friendly, cheerful, and yet non-intrusive guide to Iceland. While we hit all the main highlights of the Golden Circle (waterfalls, geysers, lava fields), Gerta also took us to hidden spots where the big buses couldn't fit. Stopping to pet the magical Icelandic horses was a true highlight, and we all loved learning about the ecology and history of Iceland.

The tour was timed impeccably so that we were always a step ahead of the mammoth tour buses and their stampedes. Gerta even timed our visit to the Gullfoss waterfalls for when the angle of the sun would produce the best rainbows through the mist! I am not making that up!

Everyone who knows me knows that I am extremely prone to motion sickness, and I never felt queasy once on this tour. The Icelandic roads in winter can be treacherous, with whipping winds and layers of black ice on the road. Watching the giant buses sway and swerve up ahead of us, I was so grateful to be in a snug little 20 person van--and in Gerta's capable hands.

The pictures I took on this tour were the best I snapped in Iceland and the memories are even more amazing. Whenever I next return to Reykjavik, I will most certainly be taking another excursion with Iceland Horizons. Don't miss this experience!!

4  Thank KR_bklyn