“Best tour ever!”
Review of Iceland Horizon

Iceland Horizon
More attraction details
Owner description: Operating only a few select daily scheduled tours which are always in small groups, Iceland Horizon is a small, family run tour operation with no intention of becoming a large bus company. Our philosophy has always been that you are travelling on a guided tour and the bus is just a means of transport, keeping the experience more personal, friendly and fun for both travellers and guides. We also arrange tours for groups wanting a private or individual arrangement.
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Best tour ever!”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

My friend and I went on the tour with David on his Iceland Horizon Golden Circle Tour on February 4th, 2013 and it was the best tour I have ever gone on! David was so informative, gave us the enchanting history of this beautiful country, took us to the most amazing locations, stopped so we could meet the Icelandic Horses on the side of the road, and showed us how much Iceland means to him, making us feel so welcome and happy to have made this journey! When you go to Iceland make sure and call him to take any of his tours and the next time we go back, we will take the South Shore and Northern Lights tours he also offers. This tour and the moments encountered along the way that beautiful snowy day will always be one of the most cherished days of my entire life! Thanks David!

Visited February 2013
2 Thank Veronika W

• Czech first
  • Korean first
Plymouth, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Excellent small group tour”
Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

I had originally planned to drive this route as I had booked a car prior- this was good for a coastal drive, but glad I used a tour for this route. All of the tour went to plan- the minibus was fully booked but still comfortable- only issue was steamy windows which is less of a prob on a coach. David gave a great commentary- not usually a fan of too much chat but this was interesting and at a reasonable level. Small group size made timings better . Overall a good option for this tour and a better price than the larger operators.

Brooklyn, New York
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“An absolute MUST in Reykjavik”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I cannot say enough about how fantastic this tour was. Absolutely, positively, one of the best things we did in Iceland.

Let's start with the intro to the tour: After arriving a few days prior in Reykjavik with no real plans on the horizon, we were swayed by the excellent stories of others in our hotel about the Golden Circle. However, I am not a fan of Big Bus tours. So at around midnight, after some Tripadvisor research, I decided to call Iceland Horizons to see if there was a recorded message about tour availability for the following day. There wasn't, so I hung up.

About 20 minutes later, I received a call from David, the owner, who had seen my missed call and was following up. Let me repeat this: He looked up my # and called me back after midnight to see if they could accommodate us. Though the morning tour was almost full, David said he could squeeze us in, no problem. THAT is customer service.

As promised, at 8:30 the next morning, Gerta our driver showed up right on time. You could not ask for a more knowledgeable, friendly, cheerful, and yet non-intrusive guide to Iceland. While we hit all the main highlights of the Golden Circle (waterfalls, geysers, lava fields), Gerta also took us to hidden spots where the big buses couldn't fit. Stopping to pet the magical Icelandic horses was a true highlight, and we all loved learning about the ecology and history of Iceland.

The tour was timed impeccably so that we were always a step ahead of the mammoth tour buses and their stampedes. Gerta even timed our visit to the Gullfoss waterfalls for when the angle of the sun would produce the best rainbows through the mist! I am not making that up!

Everyone who knows me knows that I am extremely prone to motion sickness, and I never felt queasy once on this tour. The Icelandic roads in winter can be treacherous, with whipping winds and layers of black ice on the road. Watching the giant buses sway and swerve up ahead of us, I was so grateful to be in a snug little 20 person van--and in Gerta's capable hands.

The pictures I took on this tour were the best I snapped in Iceland and the memories are even more amazing. Whenever I next return to Reykjavik, I will most certainly be taking another excursion with Iceland Horizons. Don't miss this experience!!

Visited January 2013
4 Thank KR_bklyn
London
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 115 helpful votes
“Brilliant: Showed Me Everything I Wanted & More”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

I chose this company on the basis of reviews I had already read on TripAdvisor and was not disappointed. A small tour company like this is definitely the way to go, instead of the big bus tours - you get to see so much more. Don't rush a trip like this, it's one of the main reasons to visit Iceland!

We were picked up promptly from our apartment by our tour guide - a Brit, who has lived in Iceland for several years, and knows the country very well, speaks the language etc. There are also native Icelandic guides working for this company.

The party we travelled with was small - and that is a HUGE bonus. Our guide was very good at getting ahead of the big tour parties, so we were often the only people there at the sights we visited - nobody else around. Then, as we pulled away, three huge coaches pulled up and the place was swamped, but we were on the road to the next stop.

This tour was flexible as well - so we if wanted to stay slightly longer at one place, it was okay. In fact, we made the odd detour - such as going to stroke some Icelandic horses we saw in a field. The most important thing is that I NEVER felt rushed when we were visiting the various sights - I always felt I had enough time to see everything and get all the photos I wanted.

To get to the golden circle, there is an hour or so of driving from Reykjavik, but this went quickly as the guide has a mic in the bus and gave a really informed commentary as we drove.

I have to admit, if someone had said this was a trip with someone talking into a mic the whole time we were driving, I would have run a mile as I like to stare out of the window without interruption... but it was really good! The guys who run these tours really know their stuff, and were not merely repeating things you can read in your guide book. I learned a lot on this trip - from modern Icelandic culture, to the country's geology and language.

Our first stop was a dead volcano - a good chance to first step out into Iceland's Mars-like landscape and we gradually made our way through the countryside, and made stops at smaller waterfalls as well as the more famous sites such as the geysers and Gullfoss waterfall - both magnificent. These places were obviously a lot busier, but again, we seemed to time our arrival well with the departure of really big tour parties.

The highlight for me was walking through the National Park, where you see beginning of the edge of the North American tectonic plate. An amazingly beautiful place - and again, we were alone for most of the time we were there!

There is some walking needed on this trip, up and down a few small slopes, with slightly rocky paths, so wear good shoes and wrap up warm - but you're not going on a hike and really it only amounts to a few hundred metres walking at a time. So, if you're not overly mobile/active, this trip should still be fine for you. The most walking needed was at Gullfoss falls, where you have to walk down/up a small hill to get to the main waterfall.

At both the geysers and Gullfoss there are gift shops and restaurants where you can buy food - not too expensive (for Iceland), although the Gullfoss restaurant was really busy. We brought our own lunch, and then bought a hot drink at the cafes. Again, we had plenty of time to stop and soak in the surroundings and I never felt our guide was clock-watching.

This tour is a long, full day, but even if you're only visiting Iceland for a short period I would definitely set aside time to do this tour. When we arrived back in Reykjavik we were dropped off outside our apartment.

My friend and I enjoyed this tour so much, we booked another tour with the same company the minute we got indoors - the South Shore tour, which I also highly recommend. We also got a discount for booking a second trip with the firm.

Visited October 2012
3 Thank MendozaUK
Boston, Massachusetts
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Great tour guide”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

The views on the Golden Circle Tour are without a doubt beautiful but what made this tour so great was our tour guide. He told us lots of stories about the sites we were seeing and about Iceland during our drive which I really liked.
Some other great things about the tour:
- Small group (mini bus)
- Plenty of time at each stop
- I looked into a lot of tours before going on this trip and this was a great price for a small group!

Visited January 2013