“Golden Circle and South Shore - Brilliant”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Iceland Horizon

Iceland Horizon
More attraction details
Owner description: Operating only a few select daily scheduled tours which are always in small groups, Iceland Horizon is a small, family run tour operation with no intention of becoming a large bus company. Our philosophy has always been that you are travelling on a guided tour and the bus is just a means of transport, keeping the experience more personal, friendly and fun for both travellers and guides. We also arrange tours for groups wanting a private or individual arrangement.
Bristol
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Golden Circle and South Shore - Brilliant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

We went on the South Coast Tour on 11/11/12 with Javier and the Golden Circle Tour on 13/11/12 with David. I cannot recommend this company more highly, we had a fantastic time on both trips with excellent help and advice on email prior to making a book. The mini bus held 10/12 people which was great (imagine a toilet stop for 50 people!). We saw some of the most beautiful country I have ever seen including beautiful waterfalls, black sand beaches, geysers, Icelandic horses and Þingvellir Park to a name a few. Both our guides were friendly, knowledgeable, and informative about local Icelandic culture and the sites we were about to visit. Thank you so much for making our trip wonderful.

4 Thank Zoe6631

• Czech first
  • Korean first
Fairfax, Virginia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Possibly the best tour I've taken, ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

I'm not kidding. I'm generally wary of tours, I'd rather rent a car and do it myself. This tour ended up costing about $400 for my family of 5 (my 2 youngest were 1/2 price) and I couldn't have done it better or cheaper on my own.

We had Christina as a guide; she's the whole package: friendly, gorgeous, fun, adventurous. All 3 of my kids adored her instantly. There were only 2 other people on our trip (bus holds 16 I think) so we were able to be very flexible with our schedule. She not only drove the bus but she got out with us and showed us around. (And held my 7 year old's hand so he could navigate the ice. AND lent my 12 year old her mittens when hers got wet)

The week we were visiting, Iceland experienced historically bad weather. A wind storm (I heard from Hurricane Sandy, although that was never confirmed) and torrential rain. We saw 4 hours of sunlight the entire 5 days we were there, and the day of this tour was the worst. No matter ! We still hit all our sights and then some. (I do wish I'd bought dry clothes for the drive back)

My kids' favorite stop was the glacier. Christina took us a decent way up it, considering we weren't properly equipped, finding a safe path and pointing out interesting features. She took us to 2 waterfalls; one of which promised eternal happiness if you drank from it. We visited a black sand beach, the village of Vik and some elf houses.

The ride to the first waterfall was long, but Christina kept us entertained with interesting facts about Icelandic history, the economy, culture and stories about elves. She also went out of her way to help my husband find the bread that they bake in the ground and to help my son find an Iceland Airwaves tee-shirt even though the event was over.

My suggestion is to do this tour AFTER the golden circle tour. That's a must-do as well but would anti-climatic after seeing these sights.

12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Perfect way to see the golden circle... And a few other treats!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

We wanted to see the golden circle in an affordable way, but not on a giant impersonal bus. Iceland Horizon was the perfect solution. A small 15 seater bus with just 8 of us on there, was fantastic. As well as the 3 main sites we stopped to see the volcanoe and the horses! A few extra stops the large coach companies can't offer. David our guide was fantastic, humourous, knowledgable about the geography and science bits.... And great recommendations for lunch and how to best see the sights. Was an amazing, must-do trip

Heppenheim, Germany
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 252 helpful votes
“More than just the sights - they deserve to have 5*”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

We were on a cruise ship. It was good that we must not book a private tour and can go on a public tour.

But honestly: the sights deserve 5* but I want more:

I am tourist, guest in Iceland, never been there: I am expecting someone walking an extra mile to help me to solve my problem: but here: NO GO. "You can come back once you solve your problem".

The vehicle: I had the impression you have more comfort with others what you might want when you are a full day around: all seats were extremely narrow. No extra space for backpacks etc. as no trunk. But I could see that other have trunks.

You must be early there to give full flexibility to them. So we should wait 30 minutes while it was windy, cold and little rainy. Instead of telling us that we will be the last guests to collect we should wait as the driver might collect us at first. If you stay in a hotel it's ok - then you can wait in the lobby but we had to wait outside the ship.

What was good but also bad: Our driver does not escorted us to the spots so you get all explainations before you arrive and had to remember yourself. But you never need to return to the same place as the driver took the vehicle and collect you at a different parking.

He gave us extra service by double checking with our hotel.

If you visit their website: on their list Northern Light Tours: but when you ask: NO - and we cannot help!

Visited September 2012
2 Thank HeinBloed
Cincinnati, Ohio
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 92 helpful votes
“Iceland Horizon =BEST TOUR COMPANY South Shore = UNFORGETTABLE”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

There are a million reasons to hire Iceland Horizon for your tour. To name a few:
1)Extremely informed guides. On the 8 or so hour trip, I swear he never ran out of information and stories. It was incredible!
2)Small groups! We were able to go everywhere without a crowd and without having to wrangle the stragglers onto the bus. The bus only fits 16 people total, so it's the perfect size group every time.
3) The South Shore tour is one of the most affordable tours out there! For what you get, it's totally worth it!
4) Easy to pay, no-pressure sails, very responsive to emails and fantastic customer service.

There are also a million reasons to go on the South Shore tour!
Waterfalls (so many!!), back sand beach, basalt columns, glaciers,volcanoes, beautiful scenery, excellent views and SO many great photos!

We booked Iceland Horizon for the Golden Circle and the South Shore and were not disappointed!

As a note, there were a couple of elderly folks on the tour with us, one with a walker. Our guide was so great in storing the walker for her and helping her off the bus. If you're worried about mobility, they really do try to help as much as they can. There are some areas that are too rugged to get to, but for the most part it's an easy walk for people.

You will also have a few opportunities to stop and buy snacks and you will stop for lunch and at the Vik gift shop (THE BEST PLACE TO BUY SWEATERS OR WOOL). The gift shop also has people in the back making the wool items. You can see them in action by walking up to the second floor and checking out their workshop. Very neat!

Visited October 2012