“Wouldn't Use this Company Again”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of BusTravel Iceland

BusTravel Iceland
Book In Advance
More Info
$99.90*
and up
Southern Iceland Glaciers, Waterfalls and Beaches Day Tour
More attraction details
Owner description: BUSTRAVEL ICELAND offers guided bustours to the most spectacular sites in south of Iceland such as the Golden waterfall, Geysir, Glacier Lagoon and more. Free pick up from hotels/guesthouses in central Reykjavik.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Berlin, Germany
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wouldn't Use this Company Again”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2013

Used Bustravel Iceland for a trip to the airport from Reykjavik with a stopover at the Blue Lagoon. First, their website was not very clear during the booking process. I couldn't tell whether I had booked Reykjavik > Airport or the other way around. The bus that arrived was very old, dirty and rusted (the back doors barely closed). The driver didn't even get out of the car when we arrived... had to open up the back door and load our bags ourselves. The drive felt very unsafe. It was a pretty bad storm outside, and his windshield wipers barely worked. I have no idea how he could see, and he was constantly swerving/hydro-planing. Upon arrival at the Blue Lagoon, he dropped everyone off at the far end of an empty parking lot, even though a terrible storm was going on outside. Once again he made everyone unload their own bags (even an old couple which I ended up helping unload). The driver was very rude to everyone during the whole process. Theres plenty of other companies that do this trip. Use them.

1 Thank jprauch

• Korean first
  • Polish first
Derby
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Enjoyable and informative”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2013

We had been recommended the Golden circle afternoon tour by our hotel as we didn't want to spend the whole day on a bus with the possibility of half the night as well if the Northern lights tour was on.
What a good recommendation it was.
We were picked at our hotel up by our guide Ragner Thorsenn who was brilliant. There was a problem at the start with fumes on the bus but he called in straight away and explained that it would clear within a few minutes, one customer decided to ignore his advise and requested to leave the tour, he should have waited as told because he missed a treat.
Ragner was very informative and entertaining and we learnt so much by listening to him.
We knew exactly how long we had at each stop off point and the timings were right for each location, we saw everything we wanted to and more.
Would recommend this tour and especially Ragner, thankyou.

19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“4.5 stars - great guide, very well-controlled, lovely tour!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013

My brother and I booked a Golden Circle afternoon tour (we'd slept in that morning) and had a blast! I didn't get the name of the driver/guide (yes, a two in one, unlike the other companies! I was apprehensive about this at first, worried that the multitasking would affect his tour-guiding, but it was a false apprehension!) He was the tall older guy, with glasses. He was amazing! So knowledgeable about Iceland, and gave a lot of insight into the every day life of Icelanders! Loved the way he spoke about Icelandic horses, schools, boarding schools etc. So easy to listen to, but still interesting. I wish I'd gotten his name. Really funny as well.

Best thing about him was the way he controlled our time. We only had about 3 or 4 hours of daylight, and he was quite specific about how much time we were allowed at each attraction, and he was reasonable about it! (It was a super cold day, so twenty-thirty minutes per attraction was plenty. Esp the Thingvellir National Park!) He was very no-nonsense without being rude or curt.

Beautiful sights of course, but I'm not reviewing the sights, but the experience. We chose bustravel because the tourist information centre on Langevur said it was the cheapest, but also that all the buses didn't make much difference, as they all visited the same sites, so it was worth saving the money. It was a smaller bus than Reykjavik excursions, but definitely comfortable enough, and we survived without wifi!

If you're doing the afternoon tour, then definitely recommended!

London, United Kingdom
“Golden Circle tour guide Ingur made our trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

The bus tours are Reykjavik's main attraction as the city itself is rather small. My girlfriend and I went on a few bus tours with different company and these guys were by far and away the best.

Our tour guide Ingur was an absolute gem. He made a 6 hour trip seamless and very enjoyable. He had remarkable knowledge and was very funny. He is a bit of a hellraiser and permitted us to get closer and go further than we would have otherwise been allowed to go. We even stopped by to feed horses that Ingur noticed just because he thought we would like it.

Although Ingur's minibus may have needed work done to the windscreen, the smaller bus (max of 30 passengers) made for a better experience as you could ask questions and could see the city better as you were not as high up or cramped on a bigger coach. The tour also arrived promptly and ended on time.

I would definitely recommend this company to use on all Bus Tours. Disappointed we went with anybody else before or after this company. A++

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 142 helpful votes
“Goldern Circle Tour & Blue Lagoon were the BEST parts of our trip to Iceland!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

I am sooo very glad we booked the package for the Golden Circle Tour and to visit the Blue Lagoon with BusTravel, as otherwise our trip to Iceland would have been very disappointing (as were were unlucky on all 3 of our nights to see the Northern Lights :-( and found the other sights advised on Tripadvisor for Reykjavik to be very disappointing, perhaps because it was dark when we visited).

Bus Tours are excellent! Our package was approx £84 each (16,500ISK) and included:
- Transport from Airport to Hotel Klettur (also recommended)
- Full day Grand Golden Circle tour
- Transfer to Blue Lagoon and back
- Basic entry package at Blue Lagoon
- Transport from hotel to airport

BusTravel are fully flexible and you can rearrange these activities around your own schedule to make best use of the time you have available.

There was some confusion over which bus stop to be at for collection at airport, but we rang the number given on our booking confirmation and they found us 2mins later. It is advisable to keep the booking confirmation with you on all tours, as each driver would check this when we boarded the bus.

The Grand Golden Circle tour was EXCELLENT! The driver was very knowledgeable and spoke excellent English. He provided a running commentary, which was very interesting and informative. It took 1 hour or so to get outside of Reykjavik and then there were stops every 20-30mins to see the sights. From 5mins to see a beautiful waterfall, to stopping for 90mins for lunch and exploring the famous geysers (awesome!), an hour to walk along the river and see the famous Gulfoss (Golden) waterfalls and our last stop was an hour to explore and walk around the Thingvellir National Park where you can see the effects of the tectonic plates shifting, plus many more.

The trip to the Blue Lagoon was fantastic and I would highly recommend - whatever the weather! We went on a grey and miserable day, when it was spitting more often than not and very windy too! But once you are in the lovely warm water it is very enjoyable :-) The wind and rain did make our faces very cold, but there were lots of inlets to shelter in, a mini cave and a sauna and steam room near the waterfall if you wanted to warm up thoroughly! There are lots of wooden boxes around the lagoon with 'mud' that they recommend you cover your face with for 5-10mins for clean and smooth skin. It is very exfoliating. I was surprised by how large the Lagoon is - the lockers in the changing rooms were nearly all full, yet the place did not seem at all busy and there were large expanses of water to swim in where you would only pass 1 other couple, due to the huge size of the Lagoon and all the many inlets and little areas to sit and rest in the water. There are lots of walkways and bridges to venture out when you're back in your clothing to take some gorgeous photos.

My favourite part was the swim up bar - I HIGHLY recommend the strawberry sparking wine! We both loved it so much that I bought 5 bottles at the airport to bring home! lol There is nothing quite like paddling around in a warm pool in the spray and mist so you cannot see the other side of the lagoon with a delicious glass of wine in 1 hand :-)

I would recommend upgrading to the Premier Package (as it is only Basic entry that the BusTravel package gets you at Blue Lagoon). For approx an extra £50 each you get use of bathrobe, towel and slippers (highly recommend as it is VERY cold!!) Also, free drink at swim up bar, 4,000ISK each for food in the restaurant, and a free algae face masque - available from the swim up bar.

BusTravel uses smaller minibuses, which makes the journey much more comfortable - less waiting to get on and off the bus, and smaller queues for lunch/toilets etc! The buses pick you up and drop you off at your hotel which made everything easy. I would definitely recommend this company to anyone visiting Reykjavik, as it is a great way to see some beautiful areas of the country and make the most of your time there.

These trips with BusTravel were the best part of our trip to Iceland, and I am so very glad we booked with them. On another note, please see my other reviews on Iceland as I found it very surprising at how very VERY expensive everything was! Eating out is minimum of £50 per couple for basic pasta dish with 1 glass of house wine each. I would perhaps not have minded paying that much for a meal, but it was not a spectacular meal (and my boyfriend ended up throwing it back up on the boat tour later on in the night, but that's another story!:-S) Our favourite eating place actually was Subway! lol Which was the only comparable price to eating out in NE England.

Visited November 2013