“Overrated”

Cuisines: European, Swedish, Danish, Scandinavian
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 8, 2011

Went there in a group of 5. The restaurant was full and so noisy our group couldn´t hear each other across the table. Two waiters struggled to serve us, one could not introduce the dishes so half of them were brought to us without explanation. The whole thing took 3,5 hours and the wait between courses 6 and 7 was over half an hour. The food was interesting - at least if you like pink froth. The wine list was very poor.
What really annoyed me was that when we arrived there were champagne glasses on the table and the waiter brought an open bottle of fancy champagne which he offered us. Of course we went for it (under all this pressure!) only to find out at the end that each glass cost 2300 IKR. These are tactics I haven´t seen outside tourist traps in busy resorts.
Overall I´d give service one star and food 31/2 stars (out of 5).

2  Thank Nagranni

Reviewed April 26, 2011

We went to Dill with a group of 4. My sister had made the reservation and had told me it was the best restaurant in Iceland. We arrived at 8pm for our reservation. The menu was limited (5 course or 7 course set menu with or without wine pairings), which had I known in advance of the reservation I could have been more prepared. We decided to go with the 7 course with wine pairings, however I told the server that I didn't eat red meat, and many of the courses were made with red meat. He said that this wouldn't be a problem.

The first course I had to send back because it had bacon in it. They remade the dish without bacon. The main course was veal with a side of parsnips. When my main course arrived, it was nothing but a plate full of parsnips! They were very bland. Often we would receive our wine pairing well in advance of the dish and would be almost finished by the time our matching course arrived. There was a large table beside us who was a course behind, and then suddenly they were served their next course before us. We were served our last course around midnight, and almost everyone was gone by then.

The highlight was the celery icecream, which was very interesting, but not redeeming enough for the entire experience. I must admit I was pretty upset at spending over $200 for a main dish of parsnips. I'm sure this place would be good if you didn't have any dietary restrictions, but if you do you should beware.

2  Thank MBMcGee
Reviewed April 7, 2011

Located a little out of the way of the main city centre, Dill is a relatively small restaurant seating around 30 or so guests. We visited for dinner one evening in December, and the restaurant although only half full was a romantic and intimate place with the dining room perfectly lit with candles and offering beautiful views across a shimmering lake.

I have to say I'm always a little apprehensive about booking and eating at a place that has so many good reviews against it; when high expectations are met by disappointment it can be seriously crushing. A case in point is restaurant 'Le Reminet' in Paris, but that is an entirely different story which I shall save for another day.

On arrival to the Nordic House we were ushered to put our coats up in the cloakroom area opposite the dining room. My b/f was slightly taken aback by this course of action, but this was most likely heightened by his prior stay in the US where customer service is on an entirely different level given that many people working in this industry work on tips.
We hung up our coats and were greeted by a smiling waiter who politely ushered us to a fantastic table in front of the huge panoramic window, and perhaps more excitedly for me, right in front of the restaurant's kitchen where I was able to admire the expertise of Chef Gunnar Karl and his culinary team creating the decadent 7 course tasting menu that we were due to sample.

The evening kicked off with an offering of champagne, followed by the first of two innovatively explosive amuse bouche with regard to it's presentation, combination of flavours, textures and colours. Chef Gunnar knows exactly how to bring the best out of the ingredients that he is using, and it clearly shows.

Following the amuse bouche, Chef delivered to our table a delightful herring dish with beetroot. His presence front of house throughout the evening presenting the delightful dishes to the occupied tables made for a magical evening.
This was followed by arctic char with turnip; the bread course with accompanying flavoured oil and butter on a lava rock; langoustine tails smoked with pine birch; a beautiful tender duck dish; caramel pudding with sorbet, and the heavenly mandarin cake with mandarin gel, praline mousse and praline dust which absolutely took my breath away.

In summary:
- The personal service contributed to a hugely successful evening.
- The creative use of fresh ingredients was out of this world. (No wonder Chef Gunnar Karl and his team recently won a gold medal in Luxembourg for the 'Restaurant Gastronomique' category as part of the Expogast-culinary world cup. Deservedly so - this guy is a culinary genius!)
- The price for the 7-course menu was more than reasonable at 9500 ISK (c. £54 per person based on the exchange rate of December 2010),
- The setting was perfectly relaxed.

For modern Nordic food that will truly astound all your senses, if you can afford to only eat at one place in Reykjavik, then please do yourself a favour, and look no further than Restaurant Dill.

Reviewed February 27, 2011

Had an amazing evening here...exactly what I expected from the TA reviews. We were not disappointed. The atmosphere is slightly lacking but it suited me, I think it could be a little open and modern for some readers. I liked that you could see the chef in the kitchen. Many of the courses of the 7 we had involved very little cooking, just lots of preparation. As many of the things seemed to already be prepared the timings were excellent. The food was both tasty and beautifully presented. The wines were all very tasty. I'm not sure they all enhanced the flavours but were very unusual so good to taste!

Reviewed February 12, 2011

We went here after reading the reports, and it was everything and more that previous visitors have written. Service was very good and every course was explained (in exceptional English). Email communications were very good and the restaurant was was certainly worth seeking out.

1  Thank Boslin