“A real Icelandic feast!”
Review of Icelandic Bar (Islenski Barinn) - CLOSED

Icelandic Bar (Islenski Barinn)
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed October 9, 2012

As someone who doesn't eat fish I was quite nervous about my trip to Iceland yet excited about the prospect of trying some different foods. I had thought it would be quite difficult to find some of the more notorious foodstuffs such as fermented shark and whale meat and even then I thought they would just be served as a curiosity to silly tourists like myself.

I was very pleasantly surprised to come across Islenski Barrin in the square which served these Icelandic foods in small jars - perfect for those of us taking a risk with our dinner - almost like tapas so we could share them between us. The service was absolutely second to none, friendly, helpful and knowledgeable with a genuine passion for the food and interest in whether we liked it. And boy did we like it... Well except for the shark.

We ordered a few things to split; puffin (meaty, gamey, tasty), lamb (Icelandic lamb is some of the best I've ever had), whale (AMAZING! Like a firm but tender beef and not at all fishy and no fat to be seen), languoistine in garlic butter (yummy) and on the waitress's recommendation, foal which came as a fillet and also a confit salted foal. It was quite honestly one of the most delicious things I've ever eaten. Don't be put off by the fact that it is foal, just think if you eat lamb it is a baby sheep so there is no difference and the Icelandic people love their horses and they will be organic and free-range unlike horrible battery chickens back home.

The fermented shark is every bit as rank as is rumoured. We ordered our's the traditional way - served with Brennivin/Black Death (Icelandic liquor of fermented potato flavoured with caraway) which is the only way to get rid of the foul taste. I can only describe it as eating the flesh of an obese man who has been decaying for months and someone pee'd on him. Not that I'd know of course!

I would implore anyone to visit this restaurant for its fabulous reasonably-priced exotic food and wonderful staff. Just stay away from the shark, it's got that reputation for a reason!

3  Thank rubyglittershoes

Reviewed August 26, 2012

Very reasonable prices compared to elsewhere in this expensive country and a great way to try some of the local food. Nice outdoor area too - great for people watching.

Reviewed July 15, 2012

Islenski Barrin is located in the beautiful square in the heart of Reykjavik. The service was very fast, tha food was delicious, and prices were more than affordable. We enjoyed it very mush.

1  Thank Vera C
Reviewed June 3, 2012

Fun bar and good, typical Icelandic fare. Very energized and very fun, friendly staff. Have been twice and enjoyed both times.

1  Thank Mike P
Reviewed May 21, 2012

I really liked this place. We ate there two nights in a row in Reykjavik. Lots of traditional Icelandic food. You can read about my experience there, as well as my experience in Iceland, and see photos, on my blog heartisinlondon dot com.

2  Thank klc624