“Comfortable, quiet residental area, easy,walk to old town.”

and 1 more site!
Eric the Red Guesthouse
Ranked #3 of 108 Reykjavik B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Edda and Runnar keep the rooms well maintained, and are personable, kind, helpful, and knowledgeable. Edda can set you up with tours, or take groups on tour if you are all staying in the guesthouse, as she is an official tour guide. There are many rooms in the house and all are different so be sure to give a description of what you would like on your reservation request...things like: quiet, or near the garden or upstairs, private bath, or near a more social area, etc. I asked for a room away from the street, with a window that opens, shared bath to save a bit of money. The bathroom was cleaned every day but the room is not. l liked my room. It was convenient and since I stay up late for tango, I could come in late without waking other people. The guesthouse is close to tango spots. Do get the breakfast ...lots of variety and Edda's hot homemade bread. And the tours in Iceland leave at 8am for the entire day...you will not have time to go out for breakfast. Let Edda feed you! I really liked my stay there, I felt safe and cared about. I saw the Aurora Borealis from the back yard, just outside my room.
A note for allergy/asthma sufferers: the floors are bare and the room free of chachkas that collect dust, there was no visible mold, no smell of mold or mustiness even though my room was part basement..and you are two blocks from Iceland's largest hospital...open 24/7. Be sure to tell Edda and Runnar what you are allergic to...we had a communication breakdown when they were doing some winter maintenance and painted near my room while I was out on tour. It would be good for them to post notes on the doors..."we will be painting tomorrow", or some such...and then I would have told them to wait until I left! Once they knew I had a problem with paints they immediately stopped all work until I left. They are very kind and considerate...but you must tell them if you have health problems and what with.

Room Tip: I liked my room with big windows looking at the back yard. There is NO pool at the house, but this p...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Eric the Red Guesthouse

Reviewed March 14, 2014

I stayed here for 7nights and really became a fan of the hosts.
My room and the whole guesthouse had cute furnitures and that made my stay even more enjoyable.
Also, as has been commented by numerous people already, the location is perfect; the church, cafés, a supermarket and some museums... it was so much fun to walk around and down to the harbour.
I'm sure I'll come back here sometime.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Guesthouse is located very close to the famous church and within close walking distance of the city centre. Price/quality is excellent! The owners are very friendly and helpful and the breakfast is good. The rooms are good and clean, what you pay is what you get. Highly recommended to independent travellers who appreciate a personal approach.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed February 25, 2014

This 3 double bedroomed apartment is owned by the nearby Eric the Red Guesthouse. The owner Edda, is very friendly and helpful and available throughout your stay should you need. The apartment is in a residential block of 8 apartments, on the top floor (4th). This provides wonderful views down over the city, across the mountains and out to sea. We even saw the northern lights from the balcony! Being located back from the centre the area is peaceful and very handy to gain access to the road network when driving but it's also an easy stroll into the city centre. About 10 minutes walk to the Cathedral, 15 minutes to the main shopping street and 20 minutes to the harbour. There was never a shortage of parking spaces outside and there's also a garden and play area. The central heating is available all the time along with very fast wi-fi. The living room is huge and very comfortable, add a fully equipped kitchen and it's a fantastic place to stay and base yourself for both Reykjavik and day trips out of the city.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Good clean and warm guesthouse. Very warm, casual and homely welcome from owners Edda and Runar. Very clean, comfortable and warm room with good fast wifi Internet. Breakfast buffet incredibly good, and they will accommodate you if you need some extra rest in the morning. Edda and Runar very helpful in general when I needed to find somewhere in the city or arrange anything. They also arranged a great Golden Circle tour for me with pickup from the door; I was even provided with packed lunch because I would miss breakfast with the early tour start. Excellent establishment all around indeed. Highly recommended and will go back there if in Reykjavik again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Stayed at Eric the Red's for 3 nights for what was a fantastic first trip to Iceland. We missed out on the Northern Lights but everything else was brilliant, and Eric's offered a perfect home base. Easy to find, walking distance to downtown Reykjavik, clean, cosy, just the right amount of quirky, and with parking aplenty 30 seconds down the road. Price was also very reasonable.

Highlight for us was definitely the hosts who were full of kindness, patience, suggestions and generosity. We missed (comfortably) the "cut-off" for breakfast our first morning, but they went out of their way to ensure we had more than enough fuel for the day, and even brought it upstairs so we could have breakfast in bed/on couch just outside the room.

Would definitely go back.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We stayed at Eric the Red for 6 nights in December 2013. We had a great time in Reykjavik, saw some wonderful sights, loved getting warm in the hot tubs, went to a wonderful concert, toured the golden circle (in a blizzard) but our best memories will be of our lazy days at 'home' with the music coming from downstairs, the wonderful cooking smells, and you two wonderfully lovely hosts. Thanks Edda and Runar.

Room Tip: The upstairs rooms have nice views over Reykjavik. I didn't try the downstairs rooms but they lo...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends