“A great little B&B in a fantastic location”

Eric the Red Guesthouse
Ranked #3 of 107 Reykjavik B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 2, 2013

We stayed here in October 2013 for one night. A nice little B&B right next to the church and also a short walk to town. During our stay we found parking plentiful on the side street around the corner next to the school. Room was big and bright. Friendly owners. Average breakfast. A nice stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 27, 2013

If you want to visit some of the most interesting countries in the world, Iceland must be in your list. Once in Reykjavik, ERIC THE RED GUESTHOUSE is certainly one of the best choices you will find to settle down. Mr. Rúnar and Mrs Edda will get out of their way to make you fell at home. I have been on the road for more than 30 years and I can hardly remember a haven-place I enjoyed more than ERIC THE RED GUESTHOUSE. Thank you Edda; thank you Rúnar; hope to see you again!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Firstly, thanks Edda and Runar! You made our Iceland trip with your help, tips, recommendations and friendliness. We stayed as a mixed group at the Guesthouse's apartment property and were thoroughly thrilled by the apartment and its complete "home from home" feel. Location was good as was a short 10 minute walk to the main church which is at the top of a couple of streets with restaurants and bars on it and a further 5 minute walk to the main street/shopping area. The guesthouse itself is also lovely and is a minute from the church so even closer to town. Edda is also able to assist with local knowledge on places to eat, tours and trips to go on, best bakeries, cheapest grocery stores, and where to find anything you desire. We cannot praise everything highly enough and like everyone else, we will be back. I think I already need to book now for next year as Eric the Red will be a packed place in the future.
Top tip - any questions before or during your stay, just ask Edda. One in a million.

Room Tip: Just ask Edda for what you ideally are looking for and she will help as best as she can.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I stayed here for 5 nights the first of October. It is in a great location, right behind the big church so a short walking distance to shops, restaurants and maybe 15-20 mins to the harbor. I had a single room with bathroom in the downstairs. Compared to American standards, these rooms are very small. But I had all the essentials, and since I was mostly only sleeping here, I didn't mind a bit. My room had a single bed, with towels, coffeemaker, mini fridge, hangers, and a small chest (a TV as well but I didn't even touch it). I did have to be careful in the small shower, else water got all over the floor. Even though the breakfast food was quite different than what Americans are used to, it was my favorite part, I enjoyed catching up with other visitors and hearing what everyones plans were and what they had seen and done so far. Edda and Runar are great hosts. Edda even let me try the rotten shark and Icelandic schnapps, and a bit of sheep's head as well. Very competitive prices compared to the rest of Reykjavik. I would stay here again, if or when I return to Iceland!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed three nights at Eric the Red, and we will stay there again any time we return to Iceland. We arrived at 8:30 a.m. after an overnight flight and our room was waiting for us so we could take a nap before exploring Reykjavik. The guesthouse is the perfect location, close to the bus station, the harbor and tons of restaurants. The rooms are not fancy, but have some of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in.
We cannot say enough good things about owners Runar and Edda. They were fantastic to us while we were there- lots of great conversations with great advice for our trip and history lessons about Iceland. But it was after we checked out that we fully realized how amazing Runar and Edda are-- We rented a car during our trip and returned it on our way to the airport. The rental company called us after we were in the airport to accuse us of damaging our rental car. With no way of returning to Reykjavik without missing our flight, we frantically called Edda and Runar for help. Runar made two trips to the rental place just to sort out the issue. Without Runar and Edda, we would have spent $2500 on an accusation that wasn't true. Thanks to them, the rental company realized it made a mistake.
Runar and Edda had no obligation to help us. We weren't even their guests anymore. But they have our permanent loyalty thanks to their generosity in helping us, and we plan to return to Iceland and stay with them again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 7, 2013

good location across from big church. Walking dist to DT shopping and harbor (uphill return). Better than average Icelandic BF. Rooms are small by upscale US norm, but adequate and nice. Price very fair and competitive. This is a big old house, so don't expect the Westin concierge desk. It is a true B+B. Door lock little flimsy and outdated skeleton key, but Iceland is very safe so not major concern. Iceland apparently doesn't have queen or king beds. They shove 2 twins together, so somebody falls through the crack every night. But that is not Eric's fault the whole country is that way, at least in class of hotels that I frequent. Also friendly staff makes smalltalk during BF or evening, answers questions, and listens to your stories.
Overall, excellent experience. Highly recommended if you like the B+B experience.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 22, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a week, and I can't say enough good things about this guesthouse. Inside its unassuming exterior, one will find clean rooms with super comfortable beds, delicious morning breakfasts with traditional and western options which one enjoys at a long table with friendly guests from all over the world, and, best of all, the friendly, helpful owners, Edda and Runar. Edda, who lived in the U.S. for several years and speaks fluent English, is a professional guide who can take guests on private tours of the fantastic sites and entertain them with stories explaining the names of various land features along the way. She can also arrange any other excursions and offer lots of helpful advice. A highlight was our hike with Runar to a beautiful area full of thermal vents and a soak in a naturally-heated river. We will return, and when we do, we will definitely stay here again!!

Room Tip: We loved our room on the upper floor, and even when there was loud music playing at an establishment...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple