“Friendly welcome & decent rooms”

and 1 more site!
Eric the Red Guesthouse
Ranked #3 of 109 Reykjavik B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 3, 2012

A friendly welcome from the owner & decent ensuite room makes this place worth a stay. It is located 10 minutes walk from the bus station, & is located to the rear of the main church in Rekyjavic. 18,000K for the night, should have included breakfast, but as we were leaving early 4.30a.m. to catch a flight the owner said he would leave a sandwich in the fridge for us - but he must have forgot....not good.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Martutd

Reviewed July 20, 2012

We had a lovely 5 night stay at Erik the Red and was by far the best place we stayed in during our 12 days in Iceland. We stayed in the 3 bedded family room downstairs and found it very comfortable and cosy. Good blackout blinds for the light nights of summer. Edda and Runar are lovely hosts and are extremely knowledgeable about what to do and see during your stay. Having breakfast with Runar and the other guests was great and my husband and son tried out some shark snack which Runar produced to try. Edda was our tour guide for our Golden Circle tour and we had a lovely day with her and two other guests who were staying from Norway.
We liked the ginger cat who appreciated being stroked and as we left we caught him curled up taking a cheeky nap on one of the beds downstairs!
I would thoroughly recommend Erik the Red to anyone who was staying in Reykjavik; it's positioned within easy striking distance of the centre of the city and as it's right by Hallgrimskirkja so wherever you are in the city you know what direction you have to head to get back home. I hope that we will return one day.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 23, 2012

I stayed here solo for a few days in August at the start of my round trip. I felt right at home in this sweet, beautifully decorated little building with the friendly hosts.
The location right next to the church isn't the most central or the most scenic, but it's nice and quiet, and just a short walk to the city centre.
My room in the basement was dark, cozy and clean, it had it's own tiny bathroom and even a fridge and a water boiler, and a lovely red cat that occasionally came by for a cuddle.
Breakfast was the best. The dining room is so pretty and quaint it's almost unreal, and sitting around one big table while the sun was shining in from the big windows, discussing your plans for the day, while Runar brings in fresh bread and boiled eggs, was a wonderful experience.
The breakfast itself was by no means opulent, but of very good quality and nicely varied, with lots of different local foods.

The only negative point was that, at least at the time of my travel, this was ridiculously overpriced compared to similar lodgings in Reykjavik. The price was not justified in my opinion. It's a nice and cozy guesthouse, but not a luxury.
The price was raised twice between my reservation and my arrival, and a third time while I was there. Of course, I had to pay the highest price for the whole stay. This resulted in an amount that I would not have been willing to spend on this lodging, had I known about it beforehand.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank M S
Reviewed April 15, 2012

My partner and I stayed here for 4 nights in February on the opening and closing nights of our visit to Iceland, and couldn't recommend Erik the Red more highly. The guesthouse is 10 minutes walk to the centre of Reykjavik - perfectly quiet though still easily located to stroll in and out of town for walks, hot chocolates and dinners.

The room was comfortable; simple and clean. The showers are hot and powerful. We stayed here in February so didn't have any problem with long hours of daylight, but the room had a decent blind and curtains so I wouldn't imagine light would be a problem during the summer months.

The hosts, Edda and Runar, made us feel very welcome to their home; preparing freshly made bread, sometimes cake, always warm porridge every morning, as well as a full spread of cheeses, meats and fruit. We really enjoyed our chats with them around the dining room table at breakfast talking about our respective travels and our plans for our visit to Iceland. Edda is a tour guide, so is very knowledgeable about the secret spots and provides numerous tips on where to go (free of charge!), though you can also arrange to do a tour with her, I believe.

After a week's driving round Iceland we still hadn't seen th Northern Lights (despite it supposedly being the perfect time to go in 11 years! The weather wasn't in our favour to see them). On our last night in Reykjavik there was a clear sky so we wanted to make one last attempt to see them; Runar showed us up to the attik room which has big skylights that you can open right up and stand in to look across the city to help us in our quest. In the end we drove down to the lighthouse and saw them there - faintly, but still there...

I couldn't recommend Erik the Red enough: good value for money, delicious breakfasts, comfortable room and welcoming hosts. What more could you want?! :)

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 10, 2012

Come here if you want genuine and warm hospitality for your stay. Although it is just across from the big church, it is not surrounded by shops and restaurants. Such amenities are only a 5- to 10-minute walk away.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 31, 2012

As much as I like staying in the city center, when it comes to Friday and Saturday nights, I wanted to stay somewhere quieter, instead of listening to the all night party going on outside a downtown hotel window. Erik the Red is just a few minutes walk from the city center as well as the bus station where you can catch excursions all over the country, and it's also right across the street from the landmark Hallgrimskirkja Church. On Sunday morning I woke up to the beautiful sound of church bells and the smell of coffee brewing downstairs to lure me out of bed.

Also located one block away is Cafe Loki, where you can try out some unusual Icelandic delicacies, such as "Rotten Shark" and Rye Ice Cream. Or, if you aren't into that, you can get a coffee and pastry and just look out the window at the wild architecture of the church across the street.

Runar and Edda are very good at making you feel at home. They often partake in breakfast with the guests, making you feel like you have an instant family of fellow travelers from all over the world coupled with friendly Icelandic hospitality. When it was time to depart for the airport, they called and set up the bus to come pick us up right outside the hotel, making the process very easy.

The rooms themselves are comfortable, clean and functional and the atmosphere, which is actually an old house, is laid back and informal.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 29, 2012

We stayed at Eric the Red during a five day stay in Reykjavik in January 2012. We can highly recommend this guesthouse to anyone who wants a warm, welcoming and personal place to stay while in Reykjavik. During our stay we enjoyed Edda and Runars hospitality and knowledge about the town, and had delicious homemade breakfast while chatting to the hosts.
The location is prefect, just a short stroll down to the main street, and sightseeing-spots. If you want a personal touch to your accomodation while in Reykjavik, Eric the Red is the place for this!

Helge and Vilde (Tromsø/Norway)

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family