“A bit of surprise”

Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Miõborg
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Our server did not speak any Icelandic, which I can't stand in Iceland. I want to be able to speak my own language in my own country, sorry.
We asked for a bottle of the house white wine, she brought us 2 glasses and had a little problem understanding our greed for wine :)
We ordered Fajitas, steak and chicken. The food was very good and portions good, not too much just right. I would go there again for the food, maybe not the service, unless they step up their Icelandic language skills :) :)
The decor is a bit cheesy, but I found it fun and instead of the traditional Mexican music you find in every every Mexican restaurant you go to, they had VH1 on the TV with eightees music, very refreshing to see Madonna in her youth he he.
Overall nice.

1  Thank MariaRichter

Reviewed July 29, 2013

If you check your prejudices at the door when you come to Iceland - as my guide explained, Icelanders eat whale - and order this dish at Tabascos, make sure you know what you are getting.

I asked for the 4000 kr plate of minke whale. What came out of the kitchen was a white piece of meat covered in sauce. I confirmed with the waitress, "this is minke whale?", and she replied "yes, sir". After one bite, I told her, "I've eaten whale lots of time in Japan, and this is definitely fish". And her apology was immediate - "sorry sir, they are making it now", as she took the plate away.

If what you get looks like spongy beef, it probably is whale, and it will be delicious. But if you go to Tabascos and, like me, get white meat when you order minke, I guess this is not such an honest mistake, and you should send it back.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

We arrived in the afternoon on a sunny day, and were the only guests in the restaurant. The restaurant had limited lights on, the furnitures were dark wood. The tables was sticky. The food was ok but pricy. Not a place we will visit again.

Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

As a native Californian who is used to authentic Mexican food... This restaurant hit the spot for the Icelandic version of Mexican with a twist. Good value, varied menu, house red wine was good. The waitress seemed new/a bit shy but did bring us an extra bowl of red onions when we asked.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

I never thought that my favorite restaurant during my Icelandic trip would be a Mexican place but Tabasco's is amazing! They offer much more than Mexican food but even their Icelandic dishes have a bit of a Mexican flair to them. The decor is cute and cheesy and adds to the ambiance of the restaurant. Our waitress was very nice. The prices were great compared to other restaurants in the area. The menu was extremely varied. They had a great list of beers too. My partner and I decided to share a three course Icelandic lamb meal. First up was the fish soup. It was spicy but not overly spicy and had plenty of shrimp. The bread was delicious. The main course was the star of the show. Amazingly delicious lamb that melted in your mouth. The best lamb that I have ever tasted. I ordered a sangria and it was fantastic. Apples and oranges and it came in a carafe. For dessert, we had the best skyr that we tasted in Iceland. Creamy and fruity. We seriously contemplated asking for another batch to go! I wish we had gone back but we (foolishly!) wanted to try a variety of restaurants. I cannot recommend this eating experience enough- you simply have to taste the food!