“Fantastic Experience!”

Reykjavik Excursions Northern Lights Tour
Ranked #151 of 369 Tours in Reykjavik
More attraction details
Owner description: The Northern Lights, also known as the Aurora Borealis are a spectacular natural phenomenon, often seen dancing around in fantastic colours across the Icelandic Arctic sky. The Northern lights are caused by the interaction of particles from the sun with the upper atmosphere near the North Pole. That creates this wonderful light effect, known as the Aurora Borealis.The locations visited are different every tour since we go where it’s most likely to see the Northern Lights each day. This tour is dependant on weather and sightings are not guaranteed. Refreshments not included.
Reviewed December 8, 2010

We came to Iceland with the mission of (hopefully) seeing the Northern Lights. We were extremely fortunate and saw an awe-inspiring display on our first outing with Reykavik Excursions. We also used this company for several other outings and found them consistantly organized, dependable and professional

Things to know if you are looking for Northern Lights:
1. It's a natural phenomena - translation - NO GUARANTEES they will appear
2. If you have leeway on your trip planning, remember that you have the best chance of seeing the lights in the winter, only on a clear night and as far from the full moon as possible.
3. Wear everything you own - then add layers cause it's frickin cold
4. TURN OFF THE FLASH on your camera, you'll only annoy the other viewers
5. The Aurora Oval (a dim oval of low level activity) is not the same thing as the Northern Lights. The guide did try to tell us it was - until the real light show started.
6. Find a company that will give you a second chance if there are no lights the first time out - most of them do

28  Thank Petes101
Write a ReviewReviews (1,290)
All reviews
"aurora borealis"
in 23 reviews
"bucket list"
in 26 reviews
"picked up from our hotel"
in 20 reviews

Reviewed April 13, 2010

We went on this tour in March 31 and it was extremely cold (we dressed for it and still were rather uncomfortable.) But it was worth it - we saw quited a display out tour guide was very excited about it. When we got too cold we were able to go on the bus and warm-up.

2  Thank dishmouse
Reviewed March 24, 2010

6 hours on a bus to see what looked like a candle flickering behind a cloud - what a waste of time. Of course the Northern Lights are a natural phenomenon and no tour can or will even attempt to guarantee a sighting. And perhaps part of the amazement at seeing the Lights is due to their not being available for viewing every night. But I think I would have had to see something pretty fantastic to make up for driving around Iceland in the dark for hours on end listening to rubbish. The bus tour was disorganised, took ages to load us on buses initially and brought us back to town an hour later than we were supposed to return. Getting to bed at half one is not good when you have an early tour to get up for in the morning. Now maybe they kept us out late to increase our chances of seeing the lights. But if so, advertise that in advance so purchasers of the tour will know to expect it and can plan around it. Also the commentary was rambling, repetitive and uninformative. I was thinking this would be one of the highlights of my trip to Iceland. Instead it was the dullest.

3  Thank Enick
Reviewed March 18, 2010

When I saw a city break with free northern lights trip I jumped at the chance to hopefully see this wonderful sight. As it happened the tour was cancelled each night by a sign on the reception desk.

During the holiday I spoke to many Icelandic people who were completely nonplussed at the idea of buying a holiday in the hope of seeing the northern lights. They couldn't even agree when would be the best time of year to hope to see them. Of one couple a spoke to one thought December and the other June!!

All the visitors I met were expecting the opportunity of hopefully seeing the lights but no effort was made, even when it was not too cloudy, to see them.

On a tour I took we were shown the site of the second largest geyser in the world, which only blows when there is an earthquake, but it would be unreasonable to advertise a holiday on the strength of seeing that. And yet Icelandair were quite happpy to attract visitors on a similarly unlikely experience.

My three night, two day holiday ended up costing me about £700 in all and I am very disappointed that I ended up spending so much money with such a miniscule chance of seeing the northern lights. And quite frankly if I had known the odds I wouldn't have visited at all, and I suspect the marketing people realise that.

I wrote to Icelandair and they refunded me 21 euro as we didin't get to go and look for the lights. Did they do this for anyone else? I doubt it. They haven't even bothered to reply to my second letter.

I believe they have used a cynical ploy to attract people to visit and their limited response ignoring the point of my letter only shows them in a worse light.

I also had a disappointing visit to the Blue Lagoon where I paid for a massage, but was ignored by the technician who refused to deviate from the treatment he wanted to give. I ended up paying £30 for womething I hadn't asked for. They have totally ignored my letter asking for an explanation.

My advice to visitors would be that unless you wish to spend a lot of money filling your time, sadly I wouldn't recommend a trip.

9  Thank HappyWanderer069