“lot of effort for very little reward”

Reykjavik Excursions Northern Lights Tour
Book In Advance
More Info
$62.00*
and up
Northern Lights Tour from Reykjavik
Ranked #66 of 337 Tours in Reykjavik
More attraction details
Owner description: The Northern Lights, also known as the Aurora Borealis are a spectacular natural phenomenon, often seen dancing around in fantastic colours across the Icelandic Arctic sky. The Northern lights are caused by the interaction of particles from the sun with the upper atmosphere near the North Pole. That creates this wonderful light effect, known as the Aurora Borealis.The locations visited are different every tour since we go where it’s most likely to see the Northern Lights each day. This tour is dependant on weather and sightings are not guaranteed. Refreshments not included.
Ireland
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“lot of effort for very little reward”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2010

6 hours on a bus to see what looked like a candle flickering behind a cloud - what a waste of time. Of course the Northern Lights are a natural phenomenon and no tour can or will even attempt to guarantee a sighting. And perhaps part of the amazement at seeing the Lights is due to their not being available for viewing every night. But I think I would have had to see something pretty fantastic to make up for driving around Iceland in the dark for hours on end listening to rubbish. The bus tour was disorganised, took ages to load us on buses initially and brought us back to town an hour later than we were supposed to return. Getting to bed at half one is not good when you have an early tour to get up for in the morning. Now maybe they kept us out late to increase our chances of seeing the lights. But if so, advertise that in advance so purchasers of the tour will know to expect it and can plan around it. Also the commentary was rambling, repetitive and uninformative. I was thinking this would be one of the highlights of my trip to Iceland. Instead it was the dullest.

3 Thank Enick

• Korean first
  • Thai first
England
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Holidays luring you to Iceland to see the Northern Lights are a misnoma”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2010

When I saw a city break with free northern lights trip I jumped at the chance to hopefully see this wonderful sight. As it happened the tour was cancelled each night by a sign on the reception desk.

During the holiday I spoke to many Icelandic people who were completely nonplussed at the idea of buying a holiday in the hope of seeing the northern lights. They couldn't even agree when would be the best time of year to hope to see them. Of one couple a spoke to one thought December and the other June!!

All the visitors I met were expecting the opportunity of hopefully seeing the lights but no effort was made, even when it was not too cloudy, to see them.

On a tour I took we were shown the site of the second largest geyser in the world, which only blows when there is an earthquake, but it would be unreasonable to advertise a holiday on the strength of seeing that. And yet Icelandair were quite happpy to attract visitors on a similarly unlikely experience.

My three night, two day holiday ended up costing me about £700 in all and I am very disappointed that I ended up spending so much money with such a miniscule chance of seeing the northern lights. And quite frankly if I had known the odds I wouldn't have visited at all, and I suspect the marketing people realise that.

I wrote to Icelandair and they refunded me 21 euro as we didin't get to go and look for the lights. Did they do this for anyone else? I doubt it. They haven't even bothered to reply to my second letter.

I believe they have used a cynical ploy to attract people to visit and their limited response ignoring the point of my letter only shows them in a worse light.

I also had a disappointing visit to the Blue Lagoon where I paid for a massage, but was ignored by the technician who refused to deviate from the treatment he wanted to give. I ended up paying £30 for womething I hadn't asked for. They have totally ignored my letter asking for an explanation.

My advice to visitors would be that unless you wish to spend a lot of money filling your time, sadly I wouldn't recommend a trip.

9 Thank HappyWanderer069
Belfast, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“No Northern Lights for me.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2009

I went on a trip from Iceland Excursions for 3 consecutive nights from December 26th- Dec 29th. (If you don't see them the first night - your trip is free until you do).

Alas no lights :-( .. but what can you do except find the best spots and hope. Still the free trips were good.

1 Thank Claire M
wales
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“OH WOW!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2009

After 3 nights when the tour didn't run (they only run when there is a good chance of seeing the lights) we finally set out. You need a good quality camera as the naked eye isn't good enough to see the detail. You also need good thermal clothing as you will be out for over an hour in sub zero temperatures. Also make sure you book when there is no full moon as this would make the chances of seeing the lights almost nil

8 Thank dragonfall
New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Reykjavik Excursions Northern Lights - amazing life experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2009

This is a must do if visiting Reykavik. The guides on our tour were very friendly and informative. I don't want to give too much detail as I feel the best part of the trip is experiencing it all -- the drive through complete darkness, the search for color in the sky, and finally (hopefully) the chance to view the Northern Lights. We were fortunate enough to get a great viewing of the Northern Lights and awesome pictures to bring home. The guides gave us more than enough time to take it all in!

10 Thank jsmith11