“Yum yum in my tum”

Sjavarbarinn
Ranked #24 of 571 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Vidid and homely seafood restaurant by the old harbour in Reykjavik opposite the Maritime museum. Fresh fish is our game! Magnús Ingi Magnússon, chef and owner of Sjávarbarinn, also guides groups in a gourmet walk by the old harbour. He welcomes the group in his seafood restaurant at 10 am with traditional fermented shark and Icelandic schnaps, called Brennivín or Black Death, and more local delicacies. Participants are then led on a tour by the old harbour that ends with a visit to the Icelandic fish market nearby where they can see the fresh variety in the day‘s catch. Magnús Ingi guides the tour and gives an introduction to Icelandic fisheries and its history. Then the group returns to Sjávarbarinn for a feast, a buffet with variety of the best seafood that day. There Magnús talks about traditional and popular seafood dishes and cooking methods. The meal ends appr. at 12.30 pm. More information at our website, sjavarbarinn.is. Only 6,900 ISK per person – €55 – $66
Reviewed February 10, 2016

Oh wow, what a delight we discovered. The food was A...mazing.
We had fish and chips and were able to try the Icelandic buffet to accompany the meal.
This gave us another opportunity to try all those foods we would not normally attempt.
We very much liked the beetroot, smoked herring and skyr (yogurt), the fried fish skin, and Ling (marinated white fish slices)
Worth a visit and very friendly staff.

Reviewed February 9, 2016 via mobile

Great spot for lunch while touring the a honour area of Reykjavik. Just across the street from the Hop on Hop Off bus stop. Excellent fish stew and fish and chips. Very clean with buffet and salad bar.

Reviewed February 4, 2016

My wife and I decided to pop in here for lunch when the wind and sleet was beginning to pick up near the harbour. It appears much like a greasy-joes cafe, but in a good way - and certainly suited us for lunch (I wouldn't claim it's the sort of place to go for fine dining at dinner).

On entering we were greated by a bowler-hatted(!) owner(?) who explained in perfect English the menu, the salad bar options, and the self-service water/coffee. He tried to sell the idea of the Icelandic specialities (fermented shark) but we were far too sober to consider that.

Playing safe, we ordered fish and chips (well, we are English) - which was cooked perfectly well - really fresh fish (though that's to be expected), complementing our earlier salad selection from the buffet. Neither my wife or myself were able to finish the plates, so we can't complain about the quantity. Talking of quantity - there were a number of what I guess were local dockers or certainly burly gentlemen with a local air about them who were busy polishing off a healthy number of calories to no doubt help their afternoon's labouring in the bitterly cold conditions.

There were certainly more luxurious menu options, but fish and chips suited us well for lunch. The bill came to around £25 (4600isk) for the pair of us, which isn't too bad for Reykjavik. We could eat somewhere posher for similar, but I quite liked the quaint charm of the place and the patrons.

For the short time we're staying we're unlikely to return to this restaurant, but that's nothing against the place - there's just too many other choices in Reykjavik to try as well; but, that's nothing against this place (in fact, as we left we passed on a heart-felt recommendation to three fellow English tourists who were peering through the window).

Reviewed December 13, 2015

I tried to visit this restaurant in 2010 on my first trip to Iceland, and reviewed it then, pretty harshly as I trekked across town only to find it closed despite the website suggesting it was going to be open. Luckily this time, five years on, I was luckier!

We went for an early evening meal as we had a Northern Lights boat tour booked, departing from the harbour round the corner, so this was a perfect location for a seafood evening meal. I chose the restaurant back in 2010 based on TripAdvisor reviews saying the food was good and the prices very fair in comparison to other, similar places nearby. The restaurant seem to have embraced this idea and have a huge banner above the shop extolling just these two virtues.

We chose the menu option which offered the salad bar and a main and we're not disappointed. I had Icelandic lamb - effectively a roast dinner and my friend had the fish bisque. Both were delicious, the lamb was flavourful and moist and the bisque rich and containing plenty of fish. We also enjoyed the salad bar, she more than me as she loves herring, of which there was a choice! We also had some red wine, which was pretty steeply priced, but this is Iceland, so that's to be expected.

The place was very quiet, as it was early and while the staff were friendly, they did disappear into the kitchen a lot, so occasionally you were waiting around for them to pop out so you could signal to them if you needed something. This was a very minor thing though.

I am glad I gave it another go, and I would go again as the food merited it, especially at the prices, which compare favourably with other restaurants nearby. I also liked the fact that it was on the 14 bus route, with a stop outside and another right near our hotel (Hotel Cabin), so there was no need for a taxi :-)

Reviewed November 3, 2015

After a relaxing visit to the Laugardalur Swimming Pool, we decided to indulge in a seafood buffet of "traditional Icelandic food"; however Sjavarbarinn was disappointing. The food was mediocre at best and neither of us even finished our first plate, which is a waste especially at a buffet-style restaurant, not to mention at a cost of 4000ISK per person. There are so many better options in Reykjavik. Pass on Sjavarbarinn.

1  Thank Robin H