“Good bed and shower but very bad service”
Review of The Capital-Inn

The Capital-Inn
Ranked #57 of 109 Reykjavik B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I spent 4 nights in The Capital Inn in Reykjavik due to a business trip. First I was a bit shocked because the furniture looked very cheap and old. My room was clean, it had a good bed and a nice new shower (superior double room).

Unfortunatelly, I was facing the highway and the window didn't close properly so it was extremely loud the whole time, too at night. I travelled at the end of May, when there is almost no night and the curtains were not long enought to cover the window, so I had always light. This was OK for me as I was prepared for it.

What I liked was the bed, the shower and that you are only a couple of meters away from the see.

What I didn't like is:
- It is far away from Reykjavik city centre, around 40 minutes walking.
- I was giving several times wrong information by the employees for example:
* I was told breakfast would be served starting at 8. I had to leave earlier. Afterwards I found out that it was served at 7
* I was told it would take 20-25 minutes to walk to Reykjavik and that I should take the see side. Unfortunatelly there are no maps and the guy at the reception was unable to tell me which path to follow. It takes 40 minutes to get to the centre.
- The owner wan not very helpfull. His answer always was "I am not the owner of American Express". Instead of talking to the people who gave me the wrong information, he passed the responsability of all mistakes to the credit card institute.
- The prices of the restaurant, although in euros, are only approximately. Of course nobody informed me about this so I was surprised when I got my credit card clearance.

The biggest problem was the invoice. I had a reservation for 58 euros per night and when I arrived I was asked if I would like to pay in EUR or in ISK. As my reservation was in euros and my european company would pay for the stay, I asked to pay in euros. Unfortunatelly they have charged me a different price because I paid with AMEX. None of this information was giving to me at the moment of payment and the invoice I was given was wrong I was told I could get a corrected invoice, but they wrote me later that it was not possible.

Room Tip: Room to the back, not to the highway. And check all prices!! Better to pay in cash so you don't...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Manager-Capital-Inn, Owner at The Capital-Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

I would like to respond on the following claim; "The owner wan not very helpfull. His answer always was "I am not the owner of American Express". Instead of talking to the people who gave me the wrong information, he passed the responsability of all mistakes to the credit card institute." This is not correct, I asked you to not make me responsible for the difference in exchange rate on the day I charged your card and the exchange rate that American Express gave you on your statement. I am not able to charge Amex cards in Euros but only in Ikr. resulting in the 10 Euros difference for you, this is also valid for the 0.90 euros difference on your meal at the restaurant that your also wanted me to refund you. As for the some of your other claims like your room facing the highway and the window didn't close properly. You room was not facing the road but it is facing the garden I know this even with out looking up your room number as all rooms with private bathrooms do not face the road. The curtains are surely long enought to cover the window. But why complain if your knew about our nice midnight sun and long days. Like with the rest of your claims, I do not accept any of your complains, the only reason that you are complaining is that I did not want to refund you the currency difference, but remember I did provide you with a new invoice explaining the currency difference so you could claim it from Sixt Car-rental that you work for as a service Trainer. Also you are the first one to use TripAdvisor as a threat to get what you wanted from me.

Reviewed May 17, 2013

This is a nice little guesthouse, with charming staff!! I stayed there a total of 10 days and I had the breakfast buffet included which is perfect to fill up in the morning for your day of excursions!! There is a kitchen available with fridge, stove and etc to cook yourself food, or if you don't want to cook yourself there is a chef almost always there who cooks really awesome food and is very nice!! :)

This place is located pretty far from downtown Reykjavik, so if you plan to go in town a lot and don't have a car it is like 30 to 60 minutes walk depending on where you are going. You can rent bicycles though! Also, if you take any group excursion tours, they offer to pick you up and drop you off at this place so this option is pratical!!

Overall really like my stay here and definetly recommend this place!!
Enjoy Iceland!! :)

Room Tip: There are cheap dorm rooms available if you bring your own sleeping bag ... or else for a little mor...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 11, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at this hotel. The staff are very nice. The location is good, but a bit far from the city center. The price-quality ratio is very good. The food served in the restaurant is also good and the breakfast is plentiful.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 8, 2013

First of all - I didn't stay the night. Had paid up front, and yes it's cheap - but I regretted it and wished I'd paid a bit more.

The location - terrible unless you have a car. It's two miles into the city centre, half of which is trekking down the main highway into the city. Some of the rooms face onto the highway and the traffic noise would have kept me up all night. There are hotels in the city centre as cheap as this one.

The shared bathrooms were dirty. There is no separate toilet, so I didn't want to stay around to find out how difficult it was to use the facilities. If you want this level of accomodation, go to the backpacker's hostel which is in the centre of Reykjavik.

The room I was given was very basic. I had wanted a double room, but had two singles which would have had to have been pushed together. As mentioned, the traffic noise was pretty bad. The decor no longer looks like the published photos and is all very worn and depressing.

By the entrance to the room I was given on the first floor was a large bookcase which was weirdly jutting out across the hallway.

The staff I encountered seemed OK. One guy checked us in, very basically - and another called a cab for us to get away from the place.

Find a hotel in the centre of Reykjavik and avoid this place.

Room Tip: Just don't bother - but if you do, ask for a room that doesn't face the highway.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank thecatwithnotail
Reviewed April 23, 2013

You simply get what you pay for. Hostel part is located in the basement - each of the rooms neighbours with the kitchen/meeting area. That could give you some noises during the night. You'll be charged extra for breakfast (1600KR, rip-off!), linens, towels etc. - expect Ryanair alike policy there. But, after all, it's cheap, so don't bother. Located about 30mins walk from city centre.

Room Tip: Hostel part is located in the basement.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Lovely large room! Plenty of car parking space.

The bathroom was not very clean and was shared by several rooms on the same floor.

The Location was middie of nowhere but we have a car so its alright that we can drive.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 17, 2013

We stayed there for one night in April 2013, rooms are very comfortable and clean, even rooms to the main street are quiet, we have been there out of the high season, shared bathroom was always free but I can imagine that 1 bathroom is not enough at the high season between June and August, house is near to center (walk 30 min to the harbour), perfekt price/performance ratio!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends