“Delicious! and friendly...”

Ranked #190 of 519 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: International
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Fjalakotturinn is located in the heart of Reykjavik. It is located on one of Reykjavik's oldest streets, Adalstraeti, in a newly renovated building, the oldest part of which was built in 1764. On each side of it, new buildings have been constructed in the likeness of their historic predecessors
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Loved the food here! The arctic char was delicious! Had a wonderful sauce on top and a beautiful presentation. The service was great, the staff friendly. They offered my children food from their cafe menu, if they didn't like anything on the regular dinner menu. The creme brulee was tasty! Would definitely go back!

1  Thank famfromct

Reviewed January 7, 2013

I have been staying at hotel centrum a week for the last 9/10 years. This year i tried to book a week for over the new year and rang the hotel in August to book. I was informed there were no vacancies, very abruptly which was also very strange (loyalty ???).
We booked another hotel (the Borg which was fantastic) and e.mailed the centrum to book a new years eve meal in attached restaurant Fjalakotturinn as we had one there last new years eve.
It was a set 4 course meal and the first 2 courses were very small, almost pathetic. When the main course arrived the meat (duck) was stone cold whilst veg warm. I complained to waiter and was amazed to see almost everyone else also complained. I refused to eat the meal and informed the manager i would not be paying. He then informed me the Police will be called even though we were polite and calm. I begrudgingly paid the bill for the two of us(very,very expensive) and left without eating, so it didn`t cause a scene for my partner. Never ever again will i stay there. Pathetic.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

We were tempted into eating here as the menu read very well and the hotel it is in gave us a 20% off voucher as we were staying there. The french style bread was served up in a paper bag which was cute but only to find that it was warm on the outside and stone cold (perhaps frozen or at the very least fridge cold) in the centre... at the start we ignored this as its just bread and we really aren't that fussy.

Starter: I had the langoustines which had a tasty garlic herb sauce with them, they were cooked well and plonked unceremoniously on some rocket... more gastro pub than fine dining restaurant but ok. My wife on the other hand chose the double baked souffle with blue cheese sauce. Not really a stunning looking dish but then its not meant to be, just hearty grub. The sauce was hot but when she cut into the middle it was cold (a theme perhaps?), fridge cold. We asked the waiter if it was meant to be like this (would hate to be ignorant of local customs/ways), he apologised profusely and said it was meant to be hot. In less than 5 minutes a replacement appeared. Alarm bells start ringing... and yes it was hot, searingly hot, inedibly so... the only way I can think of heating an object of that size in that time is a microwave (it was even bubbling around the edges in the bowl). For just under 2000 kroner (£9) I do not expect microwaved food and even if they have to resort to this then it should be edible when the diner gets the food.

Mains: Putting that behind us and tucking into the wine we carried on. I chose the lamb which was well cooked and with a mishmash of veg and potatoes and jus/sauce on the plate. Tastey and a very generous 9 bone rack of lamb. The only way to describe the dish they served to my wife was lazy... we have often eaten steak tartare and always the chef has taken great care to season the meat with the classic flavourings and then have a yolk on top and perhaps a few additional ingredients should you want to alter it further. This steak tartare was just a massive cylinder of choped meat on a croute with about 8 or so flavourings in small ramekins around it (ketchup, capers, shallots, parsley, vinegar etc). The meat didn't even appear to be seasoned with salt... a very expensive DIY meal. There was no mention in the menu that this was all to be mixed by the diner, just that it was a classic recipe from France... shame they didn't share the recipe with us.

I hate to moan, I really do and always look for the positives but for a fine dining restaurant you cannot afford to have bad dishes/days like this. I have worked in the restaurant trade and there is a common expression that you are only as good as your worst dish... unfortunately it was a very bad day.

So for two poor dishes like these it has to be a poor rating overall rather than average as the experience was ruined by the food. I wish it had been a day when the numerous other reviewers loved it and had great dishes but this time they were seriously lacking. Sorry.

Hotel_Centrum, Head Chef at Fjalakotturinn, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2012

Dear sir
I am very sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience at our restaurant. It’s very disappointing to receive a comment like this, but non the less we appreciate all feedback. We work hard to offer our guests good food and a friendly service.
I would also like to take this opportunity to comment on your feedback: It is right that the soufflé should under no circumstances been served cold … It seems that there has been a misunderstanding between the kitchen staff and waiting staff the evening you dined. Unfortunately you received a soufflé which was being prepared for another table. While your order was still in the oven. Our sincerest apologies for this mistake.
Feel free to contact to me directly if you have any further questions or comments.
Sincerely.
Emmanuel
Head Chef

Reviewed November 15, 2012

The lobby staff recommended us fjalakoturin and it was a good recommendation! The menu offers a great choice of dishes with the best icelandic icelandic choice of fish and lamb .The service was excellent and very friendly, the quality of the food we ordered was great. Try the 6 courses menu and I'm sure you will not be disappointed! The atmosphere is elegant . All that makes this restaurant probably the best place in Reykjavik

1  Thank Go A
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Unlike most of our other restaurant reviews, we didnt find this restaurant on Trip Advisor or a guide book. This restaurant was attached to our hotel. We had an overbooking issue at the Hotel Reykjavik Centrum and graciously they offered us a free meal to compensate us for our trouble. Initially we wondered how the free meal would be. The menu is surprisingly sophisticated and will meet most desires. It has a French flair with Icelandic ingredients. The meal started with a cheese soufflé and a lobster salad paired with a glass of white wine, perfectly presented by the gracious waitstaff. For the main course, we both had the Tornado Steak (essentially a beef filet) with foie gras. The steak was cooked medium and we didn't need a steak knife because the meat was so tender. On the side we had potatoes and wild mushrooms with a Madiera wine sauce. The main course was paired with a Sicilian red wine. At the end of the meal we were full and completely satisfied. Would definitely consider this restaurant for another visit as a paying customer during our next trip to Iceland.

4  Thank doingstuff