“If I could have taken the apartment with me, I would have...”
Review of Kalli's Apartments

Kalli's Apartments
Ranked #52 of 110 Specialty Lodging in Reykjavik
Reviewed November 19, 2011

The apartment is perfect!

I had the opportunity to spend three months in Iceland at Kalli's apartments (Sept. - Nov.) as I received a fellowship to pursue research. The experience + apartment were unforgettably incredible!

Apartment #5 became my home during this time. Whether out in extreme Iceland weather and ready for the steaming hot shower and large, comfortable bed, or working at the large dinning table with large windows all day, this apartment was always a welcome and wonderful space I was happy to be in.

Systa's glass work and her son's photographs embellish the apartment walls. Incredibly inspiring and thoughtful artwork (both Systa and her son Damon's) brought life, spirit, comfort and a sense of personalization and care to the apartment. Simple, artistic, and equipped with all the necessary provisions (french press, coffee maker, or espresso maker as an example) it didn't take long to feel at home.

I was welcomed to the apartment on day one by Systa, a glass artist, who also runs the apartments. She was patient, helpful, and sincere. She sat with me and went over places I would soon frequent in the city and even helped me work out some Icelandic pronunciations. Systa responded to my emails in a timely manner and even occasionally popped by to say hello and make sure all was well. The entire family was a joy to run into!

Situated Within close walking distance to the city center I felt well positioned within the city.

If I could have taken the apartment with me when it came time to leave, I would have.

Room Tip: I am guessing they are all uniquely incredible!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank kelly r

Reviewed October 30, 2011

We stayed at Systa's new building in October with our two children (11 and 13).
From initiial enquiry to booking to arrival and departure we have nothing but praise for the service we received. Emails were friendly, efficient and informative. Systa was on holiday herself when we arrived so we were met by Damon her son. Damon waited up till about 2a.m for us to arrive, nothing was too much trouble. We had two small breakages whilst we were there, we were reasured not to worry and not asked to pay for the items. I would recommned Systas apartments without reservation. (good quality bed and mattress too!)
Spotless, stylish, wonderful

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank cluck_11
Reviewed October 30, 2011

It is very handy having an apartment - great to be able to make our own meals or order takeaway. There is a good selection of kitchen utensils so you should have everything you need to prepare meals. Bonus is the cheapest local supermarket - slightly further walk than the closest but much cheaper! (Or drive to the larger store.) This would be better for long-term stays than short-term as you need to buy all the basics e.g. tea, coffee, milk etc so we felt we wasted some food as it wasn't all used.
The apartment was very clean and tidy when we arrived. There is free wi-fi, although it was slow - but there seemed to be free high-speed internet in any local cafe. There's a TV, which showed 2 and a half Icelandic channels (one had no sound and was green!).
The location is generally quiet during the week - the traffic noise stops for a few hours during the night and is nothing like any other capital city I've visited! Thursday was bin-day. We heard hardly any noise from the other flat sin the block. We thought as there were no bars very close, we would escape the traditional noise of Friday nights...unfortunately not. The Icelanders seemed to celebrate at home before and after going to a bar with loud music, talking and singing. So I am afraid to say I would avoid staying in Reykjavik on a weekend unless you are a party animal.
For the rest of the time, this is a great location - you can walk to the shops, restaurants, cafes and bars and all the attractions of downtown Reykjavik. The building was very warm - we turned off our radiators and had the windows open (in Iceland you only seem to have small windows to open!) and it was still warm in our flat! I would stay here again but avoid Fri/Sat.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank snowpingu
Reviewed October 28, 2011

Kalli's was the perfect base for three wayward American travelers to explore Reykjavik. For the price, you could not get beds for three, a bathroom, a kitchenette and still have room to spread out. Systa is the icing on the cake, though, as she will go out of her way to get you acclimated to the city, get you reservations, save you from tourist traps and generally make you feel at home. I have never stayed anywhere so helpful.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 6 - it worked well for three or a family with young kids.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 30, 2011

If you are thinking about staying anywhere else besides here, I implore you to reconsider. I have never felt so at home away from home as I did in Kalli's Apartments. Systa offers luxury and hospitality unrivaled; and it starts with the pick up at the bus station (big help! would have gotten lost without it). Once I got to know Systa, she made me feel so welcomed, and often checked in with me to make sure everything was going well, with both the apartment and me. The apartment itself is adorable, comfortable, and completely practical. Everything you need is in the apartment, including an excessively comfortable bed. The stove and oven are a perfect size for virtually any meal. I was very grateful to have all the dishware provided as well. The shower and bathroom are perfect as well; I already miss that Icelandic warmth. Side note: after a shower, the tap water (which is the best water I've had in my life) gets really cold; perfect and delicious. Storholt 1 was the perfect location; Hlemmur bus station (a two minute walk down the street) will take you anywhere, and there are several late night groceries within minutes walking distance. The commute to the University of Reykjavik is very reasonable. The apartment is right around the corner of Laugavegur, the main shopping street, and from Klambratun, a local park which is very nice to stroll through. The walk to anywhere in the 101 area is simple and enjoyable; never have I seen such a colorful little city. At night (not it summer) you can see the rotating lights of Perlan from the windows, and perhaps some of the most brilliant sunsets I have ever seen. I watched many a sky from those windows. Systa is of a rare type; one of the most genuine and wonderful people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. She will not disappoint you, nor will Kalli's Apartments. I tell everyone I know of Systa and of the magic of this place.

Room Tip: Room 2 is at the top and has inspiring views of the city
  • Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Gregory Z
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We had a wonderful stay at Kalli's Apartments in late August/early September and can't recommend it highly enough. We stayed in the landlord Systa's new building and the location was just perfect - approx 5 minutes away from both the harbour and the centre of town. The apartment itself was gorgeous, clean and cosy with lovely attention to detail in the furnishings, ornaments and artwork. Systa was incredibly helpful, picking us up from the bus station on arrival and taking time to show where to find the closest supermarket and recommending restaurants. We would definitely recommend this to anyone and would love to return.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Can't say enough wonderful things about this place and Systa. She is awesome. She picked us up at the bus station and was nothing but accomodating and incredible to us. The location is excellent (only 5 minute walk to downtown) and very quiet and clean. A real gem of a place. It was nice to have a place like this to retreat at the end of a busy day. Felt like home! Don't bother checking other places out quite frankly...

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple