“Delicious lobster soup”

Ranked #63 of 530 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Takeout
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Amazing lobster soup in very simple 'fishing shack' restaurant by the old harbour. My friend and I also tried the scallop, shrimp and cod kebabs. Again, delicious. Plus free coffee. Only in Reykjavik for 3 days or would definitely have gone back to Saegreifinn.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,573)

Reviewed February 25, 2014

We loved this place! We had our last night in Iceland dinner here and it was awesome. I think it's a converted fish shack and that's the theme the go for. The seats are barrels with cushions on top and the tables long wooden benches so it's very sociable. We had the lobster soup which was delicious and then had minke whale, red fish and blue ling all of which were perfectly cooked and the whale was completely not what we expected. This is a definite must for anyone visiting Reykjavik!

1  Thank Jess N
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Our glacier hike guide had recommended going to the Sea Baron for dinner so we took him up on his suggestion and were not disappointed! The place isn't much to look at from a decor standpoint, but the food is tasty and simple. Not to be missed is their acclaimed "world's famous" lobster soup. It was absolutely divine! A brothy seafood flavor that must have some kind of curry or warming spice in it - just a nice touch to change it from the heavier norm. The cod and trout were my favorite of the skewers - again simply grilled and served and you can add condiments to the finished product if you want, but the fish and seafood is so flavorful you don't need to. Picnic tables are inside with some outdoor seating during the warmer days. Highly recommended!

Reviewed February 24, 2014

My husband and I ate at Seabaron twice during our recent stay in Reykjavik. The first time we went for dinner and each had the lobster soup, I had grilled scallops and he had the salmon. We were amazed that such a simple place had such great food. The atmosphere isn't for everyone, it's pretty basic but the food is wonderful. I personally think it adds to the experience, but we did see a number of people walk in and turn around and leave.

I don't know if it's the best lobster soup in the world (as they claim) because I haven't tried them all, but it has to be close - soooooo good! The scallops and salmon were perfectly cooked and delicious. We enjoyed it so much that we went back for more soup yesterday before we had to leave, waiting around downtown for them to open before we left!

2  Thank 2nutz4travel
Reviewed February 23, 2014

best lobster soup in town. Whale also tastes good. Simple fisherman's restaurant has moderate prices. A must have been for Reykjavik.