“A Must-Go-To in Reykjavik”

Saegreifinn - The Sea Baron
Ranked #63 of 529 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Went to this place back in 2004 armed with a page of a NYTimes article written by Mark Bittman on where to eat in Reykjavik. It wasn't much of a foodie place back then. He recommended the "lobster stew" at the Saegreifinn and so I walked down to the docks looking for a bright blue building. Inside it was something I might have found in Maine. Warm, homey, newspaper reviews on the wall, and seafaring decor. Full of locals. I ordered the lobster stew and it was sublime, like nothing else. Minerally and rich, full of langoustine - like crustaceans, and an herb I couldn't place. Anytime I know someone is going to be in Reykjavik, I give them the name and address of this restaurant and tell them Mark Bittman recommends the "lobster stew."

Write a ReviewReviews (3,567)

Reviewed October 7, 2013

This little restaurant by the harbor occupies a warm spot in my heart. Not only was it our very first (and second) dinner in Iceland, but it was our very first dinner after a very windy, cold, and rainy first day spent wandering around Reykjavik, freezing our buns off and trying not to be blown away. The minute we walked in the door, our bodies were warmed by the cozy atmosphere and our mouths watered at the grilled fish kebabs displayed under the glass. I chose a salmon kebab and started with a bowl of rich, creamy lobster soup - the perfect appetizer to thaw out our tired and frozen bodies. The bread and butter which accompanied it was yummy, like all bread and butter in Iceland. The fish was perfectly grilled and simply prepared - light seasoning and a squeeze of lemon really brought out the freshness of the fish.

We came back the next evening to try different fish and seafood. This time I ordered plaice, which was just as delicious if not more so than the salmon. And we had the lobster soup with tons of bread and butter again, which was, of course, heavenly. Seriously - do not miss the lobster soup! SO good.

Many thanks to the woman who works at the hostel who recommended this place to us!

2  Thank reeay
Reviewed October 5, 2013

We loved our meal in Seabaron. We triedthe lobster soup to start and each of us had different grilled seafood. The meal was simple and delightful and perfect for the very cold outside. Prices are very affordable compared to other restaurants in Reykjavik. The atmosphere is homey though the place was a bit cramped but it just means that the food is good. The old man who owns the place goes around the guests to welcome them. Overall, it was a great meal and it was our last in Iceland so it was truly memorable.

Reviewed October 3, 2013

The lobster soup here is excellent, prices are good for Iceland, and the atmosphere inside is intimate, cozy, and rustic. Great place to stop for a bite.

Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

This place came recommended by a few of my close friends. Glad I went. The lobster soup is amazing.
Lots of big chunks of lobster and a great portion to enjoy on a cold Sunday afternoon. Delicious and will recommend to all others who come to Reykjavik. Good price for to boot!

1  Thank sunmoonstarz77