“GO!!”

Ranked #67 of 535 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Simple.... The most amazing Lobster Soup!! Its a simple place.. Unpretentious but cosy. Didnt try the various kebabs mainly because they were whale etc.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,598)

Reviewed October 16, 2012

Normally I refrain from writing restaurant reviews after just one visit and one meal - but this place was just so dreadful, I felt I had to! It could be such a gem too - in the Old Harbour area (yet, paradoxically, serving minke whale kebabs next to all the whale watching boats!). It would appear to be a family-run business - smallish and divided into two sections, separated by a walk-through kitchen area (with one or two questionable hygiene practices).

I went here alone, late one afternoon - when there was just one other customer - and had to order by selecting food from the chilled counter and then pay upfront. Next came the surly owner who thrust a guestbook in front of me, without so much as a smile. The two other younger staff were no more welcoming either. In fact, had I not already ordered and paid, I would have left at this point.

However, worse was to come: no glass was brought for my drink; the food came without the potatoes I had ordered; the vegetables were dry and overcooked; the 'catch of the day' - grilled dab - came undercooked and served on a grossly undersized plate. Appallingly badly presented and cooked food; appalling service... Complete contrast to every other place I ate at during my five day stay in Reykjavik. My advice would be to look elsewhere...

1  Thank UKMALETRAVELLER
Reviewed October 10, 2012

FYI not many parking spots. I parked down in a no parking zone near the docks but didn't have an issue since I was only there for a little while. The shop is small but they have indoor and outdoor seating which was nice. I got the Lobster Soup and some Minke Whale. Both were great. Very tasty! Whale tastes a lot like steak. I will definitely eat here again next time I'm in Reyk!

Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

Low key but excellent. If you want to taste something authentic and very low key, there is nothing like this lobster soup in town.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

Look no further, as this is a local place with good food and service. The lobster soup is the best anywhere. The Seabaron is retired, but he lives above the cafe, and is always present. They serve only fish on a stick and some whole fishes and the soup. Opens at 11am and closes at 19:30.