“Great food and ambiance”

Fiskmarkadurinn - The Fish Market
Ranked #11 of 464 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: Japanese, Seafood, Sushi, European, Soups, Scandinavian, Fusion
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Miõborg
Louisville, Kentucky
“Great food and ambiance”
Reviewed November 27, 2013

I loved the food at the Fish Market. We only had sushi, but it was the best I've ever had. It's a little pricey, but well worth since you're paying for great quality. The service was excellent.

Visited December 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Lakewood, Colorado
“Top to tiptop place”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Ambience, service, recommendations, freshness of ingredients and overall quality were very near the top. Are they five star trip advisor completely, value the issue. But it is Reykjavik and Iceland is not cheap.

That being said the host, hostess, waitstaff and kitchen turned out a very nice and pricey meal. I'd recommend as a place for a very upscale experience and great fresh fish without a lot of effort on dinners part, hardest was walking a block after a satisfying meal to catch a cab...

Lovely experience and recommend it.

London, United Kingdom
“Close, but no cigar”
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Decided to visit Fish Market for a final night meal in Reykjavik.

For starter both me and my girlfriend decided to pick sushi options. We shared a mixed selection of sushi, which the waiter said would be a made up of tuna, salmon, shrimp and white fish. When the fish was served half the selection was salmon (cheapest option) and the fish was drenched in caviar... Never before have I had sushi with caviar and I will never have it again!

Main we both had cod, which was better, but fish was slightly overcooked and over seasoned. Dessert I was most looking forward to as we ordered the sharing dessert plate, which was described to be a mix of all the options available. On arrival there was a poor excuse for a creme brûlée, tasty passion fruit cheesecake/sorbet and a stale velvet cake, which was not even on the menu! Leaving me very disappointed.

I highly recommend grill market (sister restaurant) above fish market after my experiences at both restaurants and if you want sushi please go to sushi barinn, which is much better quality at a far lower cost!

New York City, New York
“Good Fish”
Reviewed November 17, 2013

As the name implies, this is a seafood place. And it does not disappoint. The restaurant has a sushi menu (on last page), and while the fish is fresh, the portions are tiny. I would equate sushi to 23 rating on Zagats scale by NYC standards. Atmosphere is great and it is always packed.

Reykjavik, Iceland
“Fabulous social evening”
Reviewed November 16, 2013

Four of us enjoyed the tasting menu with wine.....plate after plate came through (prehapes a little rushed at one stage) of delicious beautifully presented food with generous topping of the wine glasses. Rock shrimp tempura was a highlight and minke whale interesting. When we thought we could eat no more, an amazing dish of desserts arrived - wow! We loved it so much that they shared the recipe with us.