“Good but not great”

Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Miõborg
Reviewed October 27, 2013

I am definitely in the minority here as not giving this one five stars. It just didn't work for me and that may have been down to the choice on the night. I felt the flavour combinations on the rock shrimp masked the fish flavour,the sushi combinations were standard and overpriced even by Reykjavik pricing. The monkfish portion was small and again the flavour combinations of cheese and pesto just didn't work for me as did the blueling with dates and crumble barley. That being said it was beautifully presented by very attentive staff. Such good produce in my opinion doesn't need to be as dressed up to make it palatable. As I previously said its probably just down to our choices on the night as everyone else seems to rate it highly.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

First time trying lamb as a meat choice & it was incredible, beautifully presented & cooked to perfection. The staff were attentive but not intrusive. We were a last minute party of 34 & it was made to appear effortless to serve such a large group.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Had lunch here. I was expecting something more traditional, but really liked the sushi bar/Scandinavian fusion vibe. We had a late lunch here and it wasn't too crowded - the downstairs dining room was mostly full when we started and empty when we left at 2pm. Our food was inventive, albeit very rich. Come hungry if you do a tasting menu!

Reviewed October 21, 2013

I ate here on my last night in Iceland. It was late, I had been running around trying to get presents for everyone, I was pretty chilly, and I was hungry. And this place has it all. The service is phenomenal. The interior design is impeccable. They arrange the food on the plate like a work of art. And the food is delicious. Also, it feels and looks like a really nice restaurant, but it's not snobby. I was dressed casually in jeans and felt comfortable there.

I ordered the vegetarian spring rolls because I was tired and wanted to make it a quick-ish meal, so no appetizers or anything. Also, I don't like seafood -- yeah, yeah, I know, Iceland is known for its amazing seafood... Then one of the wait staff came over and presented me with a small appetizer - gratis. Maybe they thought I couldn't afford to get more than my entrée? At any rate, the gesture was incredibly gracious of them. It was salmon on a cracker with some sort of sesame sauce, but describing it that way does it an injustice. It was a miniature work of art. I may not like seafood, but I wasn't about to be rude, so of course I ate it. And I could tell that someone who appreciates seafood probably would have thought it was the best salmon they ever ate. My "quick" meal lasted longer than anticipated, because I couldn't pass up their warm chocolate cake. It did not disappoint.

One tip on eating in Iceland generally - don't do the currency conversion math. This isn't specific to the Fish Market, but to all restaurants and cafes. How much you are paying in your own currency will just shock you and interfere with the experience, so just eat and enjoy and put the math on hold. Maybe console yourself with the fact that the purest water in the world comes straight out of the tap in Iceland - free.

1  Thank Jen H
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Having read other reviews about The Fish Market, I was excited to try the tasting menu - which did not disappoint! Course after course (I believe there were 8 or 9 in total), the quality remained consistently high, and we had the opportunity to taste some of Iceland's famed foods, including reindeer with truffles and some puffin. By far one of the most memorable meals I've had while traveling.