“Wonderful Fish and Sushi”

Fiskmarkadurinn - The Fish Market
Ranked #8 of 535 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: Sushi, Scandinavian, Fusion
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Miõborg
Reviewed September 8, 2013

This is a marvelous fish restaurant that also serves wonderful fresh sushi. When we arrived we sat in a comfortable waiting area for drinks, and when the table was not available at the time we booked it (not that there was any hurry), the staff did not charge for the drinks and gave us a shrimp appetizer on the house, for which we were pleasantly surprised. My wife had the salmon, which she characterized as "the best"; I tried the sushi, which was excellent. Prices were not cheap, but in line with those at Reykjavik's best restaurants.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,116)

Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

What a delightful place to eat, excellent food and state of the art design!
The selection of the tasting dishes is remarkable and must have when you visit the city.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

We went here on our first jet-lagged night in Reykjavik. Just what the doctor ordered. Fine service. Interesting food, but not too exotic. Wonderful lobster soup, the best. Good salted cod... One warning: it ain't cheap!

Reviewed September 6, 2013

Who would have thought that we would find some of the best short ribs on the planet in Iceland? We spent ten days in Iceland, driving around the country on the ring road - and this was one of the best meals the entire trip. The tempura shrimp was also excellent, but the crab legs were only OK. Perhaps previously frozen or something, they were somewhat tough and stringy and difficult to get out of the shell. Living on the West Coast of Canada I know we are spoiled with awesome seafood, but I assumed all the seafood in Iceland would be fresh as well.

The service was fantastic, the ambiance perfect, the wine list maybe the best we saw on the entire trip. Other diners seems to be enjoying their food as well. There are six seats facing the kitchen, we were seated there because it was a very busy night and we didn't have reservations - but actually I think these are the best seats in the house!

Reviewed September 6, 2013

This is one of the best restaurants we've ever been to. In fact we have come here on all 3 of our trips to Iceland. Our meals have always been incredible. In the past we have gone with the Chef;s Choice Tasting Menu but this time we decided to order off the menu just for something different. We were a party of 6 and I think we all ordered something different. We all loved our meals. I had the salmon, and it was one of the best salmon dishes I've ever had... and I usually try and have salmon everywhere we go... so that says a lot. This restaurant is veru highly recommended.