Egilsborg Guesthouse
$306
  • Bar/Lounge
$271
  • Restaurant
City Center Hotel(Reykjavik)(Great Value!)
$157
$219
$131
Hotwire.com
  • Breakfast included
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 3, 2013

This is the first bad review I have given as I feel it necessary to warn people. These people tainted our Iceland experience. Accommodation below average but that is no big deal as we could have dealt with the smoking inside, wide open doors to the freezing cold, uncomfortable beds, TINY rooms (I could go on!) but it was the owner whose blatant disrespect for his guests that lets the place down the most. Upon leaving, we paid the full bill in cash only to find 2 weeks later they had charged my credit card. So of course I emailed and explained, expecting there had been a mistake. This was not the case! Upon leaving my sister had put her towel which was soaking wet from use at the pools, into the washing basket so she did not have to leave it in the room. Apparently they had charged us 25€ for a threadbare cotton towel that they thought we had stolen. I explained what really happened expecting to clear the misunderstanding up and get a refund, whereupon they proceeded to question the truth of the matter and refuse the refund as they knew we had stolen the towel. The whole event was absurd and insulting. We lost the money and it left a bitter taste in our mouths after our Icelandic holiday. Please do not stay here, the owner is unmoral, a liar and thief.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank LucyfromNZ
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We entered the room and our first reaction was to immediately go away: dirty sheets, dirty toilets (only two toilets for about 30 guests hence you need to consider long waiting times before you can get in it). Luckily we hadn't booked the breakfast and we escaped it!
The landlady was kind but it's not enough to tempt me to go back in here!

Room Tip: second floor rooms are extremely better than first floor ones.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank craccosgirl
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Stayed one night only. Our room was on the top 3rd floor, walls paper thin. Shared bathroom showers on top two floors BOTH broken... so we all had to share the one shower on the main floor. When I complained that the couple next door was arguing loudly, it was well past 11, the manager suggested that I speak to them. I suggested it was her job, and then she got them quieted down. She suggested we have dinner there, however I like to get out and see the town a bit more. Asked for restaurant suggestions she gave us the names of two that are well over 100 dollars a plate.... an unusual suggestion for a budget guest house to give a parent travelling with a 16 year old teenager! I guess she was ticked we did not want to eat at the guesthouse. Would not use this place again, I am a pretty easy going traveler but there is much better value to be found in this town.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Fanny2001
Reviewed August 27, 2013

A group of 4 of us recently stayed here. By far, the most memorable part was the food. Eating anywhere is Iceland is really expensive, especially table service in Reykjavik. Max, co-owner and cook was honest when she told us her 25Euro dinner was the cheapest we'd find. And it was one of the best meals I've ever had. We had whale, Icelandic lamb, and 2 kinds of salmon that night. She also had pork chops and something else available. This meal included nice, hot soup, several veggies (hard to find in Iceland), bread with Icelandic butter, a fruit and icecream sundae, and homemade mango lassi. While this might be more than you want to spend on food ever, it is worth the money, the best price in the city, and tons of food. We couldn't finish it - come hungry.

As for the rest of the hotel, I don't know what other's are dissatisfied with. Our room, the toilets and showers, and the dining area were very clean. Magnus and Max were around and available (although maybe they need to go to the bank or the grocery store, etc. sometimes in the middle of the day?) and the beds were very cushy. We were on the second floor, which was very quiet. Based on some others' complaints about noise on the first floor, it might be a good idea to ask for the second or third floor.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floors are quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Johanna B
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I generally felt like being just walking wallet full of Euros in the eyes of people in Reykjavik and this guesthouse was not an exception, even though it was one of the cheapest places to stay in this city. It is better to stay at camps, it is much more cheaper and they even provide more facilities.

This guesthouse was run by one guy only, he was supposed to be there all day, as a receptionist, as a cleaner and he was quite tired, pissed of about his work and fed up with travellers. As I read in reviews before, he is not there all the time, he is running away to take care of his other business and dont care about the arriving travellers. We have substituting him couple times too, advicing to the newcoming what to do.. Our friends were supposed to arrive around midnight, we told the guy in advance at our reseravtion and then personally too, but he did not care, he just went to sleep and turned the bell of.

And, of course, they won´t give you anything extra for free - you pay for the breakfast, even for a tea, you cannot use the kitchen, even thou there is one. The only thinng you can use is microwave.

I am giving this place 4* anyway, because we got what we wanted, the rooms and bathrooms were simple, but more or less clean. And the guy - he was very strange, but we became kind of friends, thanks to our efforts, and he was interesting to watch. NICE THING - he gave us a present at the end (the barbecue kit someone left there) and we could have left ou baggage there for the whole day after check-out.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends