“"The best-kept secret in Reykjavik"”

Egilsborg Guesthouse
Ranked #96 of 110 Reykjavik B&B and Inns
Lakewood, Ohio
“"The best-kept secret in Reykjavik"”
Reviewed July 5, 2011

I stayed 8 days at this guesthouse and was very, very pleased. As a solo traveler it is important to feel welcome and "at home" and the owner Maggi did just that. He was extremely warm and helpful and gave me many good tips on things to do. He also rents cars at excellent rates right there from the guesthouse which is very convenient. I had a wonderful time at this guesthouse and recommend it unequivocally.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 20, 2010

Within an easy 5 minutes walk from the main strip and 15 minutes to the BSI bus terminal you're in an ideal location for all amenities without the noise from the clubs and bars reveberating outside.

Outside the street was quiet and various computer firms were based here with a (virtually empty) car park on an unassuming street.

When we got to the guesthouse it looked like an ordinary b & b or hostel, nothing fancy.

We were greated by one of the staff (on crutches no less!) who was always attentive and asking us how our day was and helpful to us and other guests.

Rooms were basic, smelt a little musky and the windows were dated but the beds comfortable and the shower and toilet were simple but kept clean. The walls were a bit thin and was woken by our Danish? neighbours voices in the morning so I would bring earplugs if you're a light sleeper.

Breakfast was simple, toast, various types of crackers and spreads and ham and tomatoes and cereal but it was good. And these were refilled constantly by the young lady (I think the sister of the guy with crutches).

My gripes would be it would have been nice to have a computer (I think it has wireless internet) but I didn't bring my laptop. And maybe the windows need to let in more air (I couldn't open it to it's fullest).

Aside from these minor issues I had a great time here and would recommend it to backpackers. If you want parties then best to stay nearer the city.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kinith
Graz, Austria
Reviewed December 17, 2009

Cheap guesthouse, breakfast buffet, car rental possible. Very recommendable for young tourists.

Stayed September 2009
Leuven, Belgium
Reviewed July 19, 2009

Egilsborg is a guesthouse at a very good location in Reykjavik - not far from the center, but in a very quiet street. However, if you happen to get a room on the ground floor, next to the washing room, it can be quite noisy. The owners of the guesthouse seem to wash their stuff at night, and they don't get up when the condense dryer is beeping / warning that the programme has finished. I had to get up to turn it off myself. The room and bathroom were clean, but the bed, pillow and sheets had a strange smell... Also, in our room there weren't any dark curtains (just a very light white-coloured voile curtain). When I mentioned to the owner that it was hard to sleep because of the light (well, I had an eye-mask with me, but my friend didn't!) she arrogantly told me that 'I had to close my eyes if I wanted to sleep, then it'd be dark'. Apart from that remark, the owners were OK. I guess we were unlucky to have the noisy room with no curtain. If you ever decide to stay there (I would not recommend though) ask for a room on the first floor, those rooms seem to look a lot nicer! (and hopefully less noisy)

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank sofke8868b

Travelers are raving about these Reykjavik hotels

New York, USA
Reviewed June 8, 2009

I read the other English-language review of Egilsborg Guesthouse and disagree completely. First, potential guests should know that this is a fancy hostel, not a hotel.
Rooms are adequately sized, but not luxurious. Bathrooms are shared.
But, consider this: you are walking distance from downtown Reykjavik, the prices here are very reasonable, you get a decent breakfast and the owner is very cheerful, helpful and eager to please. We stayed here for two nights. We are a family of four and took two rooms. Our rooms were very clean, the bathrooms and showers were also clean, with excellent hot water pressure and we had flawless wireless internet throughout our stay. The bustle of downtown Reykjavik is only a five minute walk, but the street Egilsborg is on is quiet. This is a real plus when you consider how much drinking goes on in this exciting city at night!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
vienna
Reviewed November 3, 2008

I dislike almost everything. The owners wasn`t very friendly. The rooms are very small and ugly. The pictures in the internet look very fine but its not the reality. Also the owners are boastful, as i told them that the window is broken and rain is falling on my bed they just laughed and said that they think about to repair it in 7 months.
I was there for 3 months so that this was not funny and they didnt change it so that everyday i take towels to make it tight.
Conclusion:
if its possible dont go there

Stayed August 2008