“beautiful area, cosy and warm guesthouse!”
Review of Hnjotur Guesthouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Orlygshofn
Hnjotur Guesthouse
Ranked #1 of 1 Orlygshofn B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I've been traveling in iceland and this guesthouse was one of the most amazing place I've been. The area was the most beautiful in Iceland, near Latrabjarg, green, a lot of fantastic nature. This place is perfect for those who admire the real beauty in Iceland. Additionally, the staff was kind and very helpful, it was very clean and fresh inside. The kitchen was fully equipped and there was a living room where I could met other travelers. The atmosphere was unique and cosy. I recommend this place for those people who realy want to see true Iceland!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

The road to this place was the worse road I have ever encountered, roughly 12 miles of nothing but deep potholes for the whole journey... It was pouring with rain, the road in parts was flooded, we though we were on the wrong road.
After what seemed like hours, we finally saw the place in front of us...it was like a derelict house with outbuildings...there was nowhere to park, the house was surrounded by deep muddy tracks, that our 4x4 would have struggled with. We managed to find a level part away from the house, and had to walk through long wet grass, and mud with all our stuff....
I thought well it can't get any worse...how wrong i was!!
We were taken up some wet slippery wooden steps at the back, it was in the roof space so it was sloping and cramped, we had a room at the end with private facilities, well I say facilities... There was a sink right behind the door, a toilet behind a small wooden partition, and the shower had been taken from the shared ones, the door had been nailed closed, and a hole knocked through the wall into our room!!
The man was friendly enough, and made us a cheese toastie each as there was no restaurant to eat that evening... There was a shared kitchen, but we weren't told to take food, as we thought meals would be available.
The kitchen was like an 80's time warp...and really dirty...I went to make a cup of tea and the mugs were either badly chipped or stuck together..
We went to bed, and had to put a cupboard behind the door...as it didn't lock...you could hear the rain so loud on the roof, and the wind was whistling through the windows...I think I fell asleep more from exhaustion than being comfy.
Breakfast was just as bad, we had to go downstairs to a grotty room, with a few bits and pieces, of breakfast stuff... It was very disappointing...we couldn't wait to leave..
We were left wondering why we had been sent there? And I'm still not sure why. At least the rain had stopped, but the pot hole road was still there as bad as ever!
No disrespect to the owner, who was friendly and very welcoming, but a tent or caravan might have been better, and I don't like either of them to be honest!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We stayed here as part of a 2-week driving tour of Iceland organised by Touris. The road here is about 15 miles of continuous potholes so the trip takes some time. There's no parking so we had to leave our car in a nearby field. The guesthouse is isolated and has no restaurant or shop nearby. Most people bring their own food and prepare it in the dirty 70s communal kitchen. We didn't know this and weren't told in advance by our agents. However, the owner is friendly and generous. He made us cheese & ham toasties free of charge. Most rooms have shared bathroom facilities but ours had private facilities. This consisted of a shower and toilet in the corner of the room behind a small partition. When sitting on the toilet your partner can see your knees and hear everything! The room wasn't very clean but the beds were comfy and the place very quiet. There's no TV and the free wifi is slow. Breakfast was the most basic we had on our trip. Without disrespect to the friendly owner, I don't know why we were sent here.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Hnjótur Guesthouse, opened in 2008, is truly a home for guests - a well-priced and nice enrichment of the region: Clean, bright rooms, good, clean sanitation, beds with good mattresses, a friendly day and dining room. In front of the house there is a terrace where you can enjoy sunny weather seats.
In the house there is space for 24 guests.
The rooms and sanitary facilities in the first Floor, with a small comfortable seating area, are also accessible via an outside staircase. Here you will find a fully equipped kitchen for
self-catering, which can also be used by guests of the small campground next to the house.
For large groups, who want to provide for themselves, is the friendly and lovable owner's own kitchen on the ground floor available.
The breakfast is varied and as the dinner for the hungry portioned. The landlord hosted his guests with the motto: No guest leaves hungry my table! We have never been eaten so good, fresh fish (best fish of the region)!
Hnjótur Guesthouse is also a good location from which the environment of the peninsula can be explored.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ha_Hei1
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Last year my husband and I enjoyed our honeymoon travelling through Iceland. We also planned to visite Latrabjarg. As we arrived to Hnjotur Guesthouse the owner Kirstin welcomed us warmly and showed us the carefully restored rooms. Since he knew, that we got married some days ago, he invited us for dinner - which was just delicous! During dinner he told us a lot about life in Iceland. We felt like home. If you look for luxury, you may not appreciate this location. But for my husband and me it was one of the nicest place in Iceland to stay, because we had the opportunity to feel the heart of Iceland. A really comfortable and friendly place to relaxe.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Madeleine S
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We had planned to camp on our visit to Latrabjarg, but the higher altitude and continued drizzle did not really inspire adventure and I talked my husband into stopping when we saw a sign advertising rooms available.

This was a wonderful decision. The room rate was excellent and we were soon unloading at Hnjótur Guesthouse, which rapidly became a highlight for our trip. The owner, Kristjan, used to be a dairy farmer and is now operating a guesthouse on his farm. The accommodations were excellent: clean, with plenty of space, a full kitchen available for our use, renovated bathrooms...it was wonderful. It even included breakfast! We paid for the sleeping bag accommodations for us and our two children (1 and 3 years old) and we found our experience to be worth far more than what we paid.

The best part was the time we were able to spend talking to Kristjan. His family has owned the farm since the 1860s. His father, Egil, was an avid collector of things and he began the museum (owned by the local community) located on the farm. Outside of the museum there were several old fishing boats and a US Air Force plane leftover from the Keflavík base days. He let us go explore everything and it was very cool. The outdoor exhibits also included a memorial to sailors who lost their lives at sea. Kristjan explained how he helped his father create the memorial and haul the basalt stones up the hill (which were inscribed with various wrecks that happened in the area). Even more impressive was the statue that Kristjan designed and commissioned himself.

Overall it was a wonderful stay with great accommodations and a delightful owner. A definite highlight of our trip.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank aehillam
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Best experience from my trip in Iceland. The Westfjords were excellent and Kristin, the proprietor of Hnjotur Guesthouse, made this memorable and fun.

When we arrived, Kristin gave us a halfcrazed look and indicated that he had forgotten about our reservation. We made the reservation the prior day. Uh...what? Good news! He had an extra room. He prepared our room and we were largely put at ease. He prepared some guillemot (sp?) eggs (which were surprisingly edible, but one of the more interesting things I ate in Iceland), sandwiches and coffee while he saw to other arrangements around the guesthouse. We had read that it is best to visit Latrabjarg at night and he enthusiastically supported this plan so at about 10PM we left on the terrible road to Iceland's westernmost point and had a completely amazing time seeing the puffins.

The next day we wanted to go on a run through the fjords (honestly, maybe I did more than my girlfriend...). Kristin brought up maps from the links on his own website with a few paths through the rocks - one indicating the path to Redsand, almost directly south of Hjnotur. We made it pretty far, but honestly I have a hard time believing any human has actually traversed the lava fields and returned to tell the story. The path was navigable, though along some power lines for a while and then following a straight-ish trajectory.

Before leaving, we asked about an interesting (honestly, at face value, seemingly somewhat tacky) painting on the wall and he told us the story that this painting embodies of the Gudrun and Garun - a folk story I would later find represented in gifts around Iceland. Finally he told us about his role in the creation of the very nice Hjnotur museum directly down the road and the monument to the ships which had crashed along the Iceland coast.

This was the most interesting, most rustic, most authentic part of our trip to Iceland and I would go back here in a heartbeat. The only thing that would stop me from returning would be the desire to spend more time exploring more areas in the Westfjords. This place is absolutely not for everyone. It's not romantic, it's not luxurious, and it's not full service. But if that's what you're looking for, why are you in the Westfjords?

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank masivp

Been to Hnjotur Guesthouse? Share your experiences!