“Kayaking in Jokulfirdir”
Review of Borea Adventures

Borea Adventures
Ranked #4 of 13 Tours in Isafjordur
More attraction details
Owner description: Borea Adventures is based in Isafjordur, the capital of the Westfjords, and offers great selection of outdoor adventures. The company started in 2006 operating sea kayaking, hiking, sailing, skiing, wildlife and mountain biking trips in the pristine wilderness around Isafjordur. Borea adheres to the principles of low impact, sustainable tourism. Our priority is to guarantee our guests enjoyable wilderness experiences in perfect harmony with the environment that supports us.
Reviewed August 14, 2017 via mobile

Group of old high school buddies went kayaking around the remote and majestic Jokulfirdir in the Western Fjords. We paddled among curious seals, saw a whale, puffins and endless other types of birds. The small and friendly arctic fox even ventured close to the group to see if we might have misplaced a slice of pepperoni.
Stayed in a renovated and rustic house far-far from civilization with a sauna and cosy beds.
Our guide and chef, Runar, was absolutely fantastic. Knowledgable about the area, friendly and witty, environmentalist to the bone, safe kayak guide but most importantly a darn good cook.
The firm and guide was professional, friendly and flexible. Recomend.

Date of experience: August 2017
"wild camping"
"delicious dinner"
"sea kayak"
in 3 reviews
"highly recommend this trip"
"local flora and fauna"
"pod of humpback whales"
"panorama tour"

Reviewed August 13, 2017

I cannot find words to express the depths of my gratitude for this trip.
Thank you to the Icelandic people for making this beautiful, remote location available for visitors to enjoy. Thank you to Runar @ Borea Adventures for creating a choice of several experiences. And, mostly, thank you to our guide, Sigrun, for her patience and competence in leading this challenging trek.
Not only did Sigrun always ensure our safety, I enjoyed her anecdotes of growing up in Isafjordur with her brothers as well as some cultural folklore. Her love and connection to the land and her family is evident.She is a fine woman, and an asset to Borea.
This trip was well worth the money, and I have no complaints whatsoever about Borea- they are a top-notch operation

A few tips for people who may be considering this trip:
1. Deal directly with Borea. I arranged through a travel agent, and I think the folks at Borea may have been a better resource to discuss the many options that were available and answer some of the questions I had prior to the trip.
2. You must be a very experienced backpacker for this particular trip. Although I hike hundreds of miles in the NC mountains, and have some backpacking experience, the reality is much of this trek is on unstable ground-that is, steep inclines with gravel and loose stone, walking across expanses of medium sized rocks that sometimes shift with your weight.Balance is critical, and familiarity with the nuances of quickly adjusting your balance with a load on your back only comes with experience.If you are training before taking the trip, make sure you are integrating unstable walking surfaces into your regime.
3. We were quite fortunate to have wonderful weather our week, but that is not the norm. Still, we experienced wind and chilly temperatures. Follow their advice about clothing.I am glad I was prepared with multiple base layer options.Was glad I had gloves both for warmth and on scrambling days.I brought Hand Warmers also that I put in my socks at night to keep my feet warm while sleeping.You will definitely need rain pants and jacket, not only to manage wet, but for the windbreaker properties.
4. Water shoes are essential. You will cross several streams, one good sized lake, and on the third day walk about 5k through wetlands that are best described as being like a rice-paddy.They should be sturdy and strap on as the mud could easily suck a flipflop off your foot.
5. Check your type-A personality at the door :). Relax, enjoy the scenery. You can't control the weather, or the tides, the flies (in some areas) or any of the other reminders that we are just guests but Mother Nature owns this.

Hope you enjoy.

Date of experience: August 2017
Runar K, Owner at Borea Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2017

Thank you for a very positive review.

Also thanks for the nice tips to future participants. I will add it to our website.

Sigrún is a very good guide with good presence.

Reviewed August 1, 2017

A little history, a lot of nature and spectacular views, even with the rain and clouds (we did have a little bit of clear weather). With 20-25 km (10-15 miles per day) on the water, this isn't for the beginner.But if you're an experienced paddler and back country camper, you will have an amazing time. Spectacular scenery, waterfalls everywhere, quite a few arctic foxes, and lots of curious seals.
The guides were knowledgeable, provided great food and kept us on track.
And we topped it off the final day in a pod of humpback whales.
Definitely a trip worth repeating.

Reviewed July 31, 2017

Boat ride was alright and nice, good experience. But even considering Icelandic prices, 125€ for 2 and 80€ for 1 hour boat ride is not reasonable!

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
Runar K, Manager at Borea Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2017

Hello Andreas and thanks for your review.

We know it's expensive to use our services but I can tell you that it's not a very lucrative business. We only have demand for three months (June, July, August) and the rest of the year the boat is tied up and not making any money. If you consider all things, we think backpacking in Hornstrandir is very cheap. You don't pay any entry fee into the nature reserve and the campsites are free.