Review Highlights
epic excursion 🤘🏻🤘🏻

We stopped here with Costa Cruise and had the best time ever with our guide Steve. We took the bike... read more

Reviewed August 11, 2019
F8579TSelenab
Rome, Italy
via mobile
Fantastic experience in Westfjords

I took two 1-day hiking tours with Borea Adventures: From Valley to Valley and Panorama tour to... read more

Reviewed July 29, 2019
Natalia B
Dublin, Ireland

All reviews arctic foxes base camp day trip nature reserve panorama tour green cliffs second half great weather ski tour mountain bike magical experience fantastic food several trips rocky terrain packing list hour boat ride local guide
Selected filters
Reviewed August 13, 2017

I cannot find words to express the depths of my gratitude for this trip.
Thank you to the Icelandic people for making this beautiful, remote location available for visitors to enjoy. Thank you to Runar @ Borea Adventures for creating a choice of several experiences. And, mostly, thank you to our guide, Sigrun, for her patience and competence in leading this challenging trek.
Not only did Sigrun always ensure our safety, I enjoyed her anecdotes of growing up in Isafjordur with her brothers as well as some cultural folklore. Her love and connection to the land and her family is evident.She is a fine woman, and an asset to Borea.
This trip was well worth the money, and I have no complaints whatsoever about Borea- they are a top-notch operation

A few tips for people who may be considering this trip:
1. Deal directly with Borea. I arranged through a travel agent, and I think the folks at Borea may have been a better resource to discuss the many options that were available and answer some of the questions I had prior to the trip.
2. You must be a very experienced backpacker for this particular trip. Although I hike hundreds of miles in the NC mountains, and have some backpacking experience, the reality is much of this trek is on unstable ground-that is, steep inclines with gravel and loose stone, walking across expanses of medium sized rocks that sometimes shift with your weight.Balance is critical, and familiarity with the nuances of quickly adjusting your balance with a load on your back only comes with experience.If you are training before taking the trip, make sure you are integrating unstable walking surfaces into your regime.
3. We were quite fortunate to have wonderful weather our week, but that is not the norm. Still, we experienced wind and chilly temperatures. Follow their advice about clothing.I am glad I was prepared with multiple base layer options.Was glad I had gloves both for warmth and on scrambling days.I brought Hand Warmers also that I put in my socks at night to keep my feet warm while sleeping.You will definitely need rain pants and jacket, not only to manage wet, but for the windbreaker properties.
4. Water shoes are essential. You will cross several streams, one good sized lake, and on the third day walk about 5k through wetlands that are best described as being like a rice-paddy.They should be sturdy and strap on as the mud could easily suck a flipflop off your foot.
5. Check your type-A personality at the door :). Relax, enjoy the scenery. You can't control the weather, or the tides, the flies (in some areas) or any of the other reminders that we are just guests but Mother Nature owns this.

Hope you enjoy.

Date of experience: August 2017
Runar K, Owner at Borea Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2017

Thank you for a very positive review.

Also thanks for the nice tips to future participants. I will add it to our website.

Sigrún is a very good guide with good presence.

Reviewed August 1, 2017

A little history, a lot of nature and spectacular views, even with the rain and clouds (we did have a little bit of clear weather). With 20-25 km (10-15 miles per day) on the water, this isn't for the beginner.But if you're an experienced paddler and back country camper, you will have an amazing time. Spectacular scenery, waterfalls everywhere, quite a few arctic foxes, and lots of curious seals.
The guides were knowledgeable, provided great food and kept us on track.
And we topped it off the final day in a pod of humpback whales.
Definitely a trip worth repeating.

Reviewed July 31, 2017

Boat ride was alright and nice, good experience. But even considering Icelandic prices, 125€ for 2 and 80€ for 1 hour boat ride is not reasonable!

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
Runar K, Manager at Borea Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2017

Hello Andreas and thanks for your review.

We know it's expensive to use our services but I can tell you that it's not a very lucrative business. We only have demand for three months (June, July, August) and the rest of the year the boat is tied up and not making any money. If you consider all things, we think backpacking in Hornstrandir is very cheap. You don't pay any entry fee into the nature reserve and the campsites are free.

Reviewed July 31, 2017

A few weeks ago my wife and I were traveling around the West Fjords. It was our goal to go kayaking in the Fjords and this trip far exceeded our expectations. Even though the weather was overcast it made the scenery even more dramatic. Our guide Raguel was both knowledgeable and fun. He led us out to Vigur Island were we were treated to up close encounters with Eiders, Puffins and Arctic Terns. This was rounded out with a fantastic lunch and hot coffee. I am a Sea Kayaking instructor on the coast of Maine and in my opinion Borea Adventures is a top rate guiding company. We are looking forward to our return....

1  Thank sprak5150
Runar K, Owner at Borea Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2017

Thanks for a very positive review.

Glad you enjoyed your day with Raguel.

Reviewed July 27, 2017

Bad weather, but great fun! Fast and exciting boat trip, going to shore with a zodiac, then hiking up a valley up to a fantastic panorama and down to the next fjord, where I saw a female polar fox very close - wow! Jonas, our nice guide, told us many interesting facts about flora, fauna, geology and history of this remote area. In the cozy atmosphere of Kviar farm we all got warm and dry again (it was raining all day). He also proved to be a very talented chef de cuisine, serving us a delicious dinner - thanks again, Jonas! II had a great day!

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
Runar K, Owner at Borea Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2017

Thanks Gabriele for a nice review.

The Panorama trip is a great tour with a well deserved ending with dinner while watching arctic foxes out the window in the old farmhouse in Kvíar.