Review Highlights
Arctic fox watching in Hornstrandir

It was the end of the season, that day happened to be my birthday, and we were very lucky with the... read more

Reviewed October 1, 2018
EuanG89
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Mountain biking

Exhilarating biking up around the coastal peaks. This treeless area abounded in views stretching... read more

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Reviewed September 26, 2018
gary i
Eden Prairie, Minnesota

All reviews arctic foxes day trip three days boat ride base camp nature reserve curious seals rain and wind packed lunch sunny weather wild camping delicious dinner sea kayak highly recommend this trip local flora and fauna pod of humpback whales panorama tour
Reviewed June 7, 2017

We were lucky to have three days of guided hiking with Borea Adventures in the Isafjordur area and it was a great experience. Our guide, Max, had clearly given a great deal of thought to planning hikes that would give us what we wanted. The experience was personal, it was astoundingly beautiful, it was tailored to our capabilities and it was flexible as far as making last minute changes for weather and circumstances. I would return for more any time!

Date of experience: May 2017
Reviewed October 1, 2016

The Coastal Kayaking Adventure with Borea was one of the highlights of my time in Iceland, as well as one of the highlights of 2016 for me. There were eight of us altogether with the full group and our guides, Sigrun and Orvar, were excellent. They were always quick to point out wildlife and help when needed. They cooked great meals both nights, with the lamb while camping on the north shore of Ísafjarðardjúp being a standout.

Mostly the weather was beautiful and the nature was gorgeous. We were lucky in being able to spot arctic foxes, the white-tailed eagle, a gyrfalcon, plenty of puffin, and we even got up close to a pod of humpback whales (made me a bit anxious at first, but is now ingrained as an extraordinary experience for me). Realize that the weather and frequency of the wildlife is all out of Borea's control, but this is the sort of experience that could happen if the stars align.

We did fight into some fairly heavy wind and swells on the last leg of the trip paddling from Vigur, but our wonderful guides were always close and keeping a watchful eye.

They even went above and beyond after we returned to Ísafjörður and I realized that I had written down the incorrect time for my flight that evening and I only had ~15 minutes until the flight. Orvar raced me to the airport and I was able to catch my flight into Reykjavik that evening. They did not have to do this as it was my mistake, but this really left a lasting impression on me. (Side note - I recommend spending a few extra days in Ísafjörður if at all possible. It is a wonderful town and I very much wished I would have planned another day or two there.)

All in all, 5 out of 5, would do again! Yeehaw!

Date of experience: July 2016
Runar K, Owner at Borea Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2016

Hi hi John,

and thank you for your positive review.

We're glad that you liked our Coastal Kayak Adventure, we do also love it :)

Sigrún and Örvar are two of our amazing guides, which we are proud of.

Hopefully we will see you again in more Icelandic adventures.

Best wishes from the Borea Adventures team

Reviewed September 28, 2016

My 3 friends and I signed up for a guided all day hiking trip in Hornstrandir Nature Preserve. Our two guides were excellent and as a biologist, I was especially happy that they were ok with taking the time to compare notes with me on the various plants we saw. My group especially enjoyed the communal dinner at a historic farmhouse at the end of the day, where we ate an excellent dinner of cod, potatoes and salad prepared by our guides. Breaking bread with folks from around the world and learning more about Iceland during our dinner talk was one of the highlights of our trip to this lovely country. Seeing arctic foxes, eider ducks, and humpback whales topped the day off. Would definitely recommend Borea and would love to do another trip with them someday.

Date of experience: September 2016

Hi hi and thank you for your positive review.

It's great to hear that you and your friends enjoyed the hiking trip with us. We enjoyed having you with us. Hopefully we'll see you in more of our adventures soon.

Best wishes from the Borea Adventures team

Reviewed September 17, 2016

We were in Isafjodur for only a short visit on a cruise ship and booked the calm water kayakking tour wnith Borea Adventures. Doing it ourselves was much cheaper than a similar tour booked through the ship
We are senior citizens and hadn't done any kayakking before.
Isafjodur is a very small place and the Borea office was a short walk from the dock.
We were given basic instructions and set off.

On the day we went, there was thick fog, in fact the first tender boat had difficulty finding the port. This added to the magic of the whole experience. At first we could see only a short distance in front of us but by the time we reached the end of the fjord, the mist started lifting and the beautiful scenery was revealed.

My only criticism is that I felt the tour guide would go on ahead without checking our progress often enough and would give explanations without us being all in earshot.

Thia was one of the hightlights of our cruise and I would definitely recommend Borea Adventure Tours. I would love to come back one day and do a longer tour with them

Date of experience: August 2016
1  Thank PrueLPerth
Runar K, Manager at Borea Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2016

Thanks for your nice review.

We of course teach our guides to stay close with the groups and give good and detailed explanations for everyone to hear. I've sent your review to the guides since we're always trying to improve our guest's experience.

All the best and hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed September 16, 2016

My partner and I did the 2 night Midnight Sun and Arctic Foxes tour to Hornstrandir, and it was one of the best experiences we've ever had. By chance we were the only people booked on the tour, so it was just us and our excellent guide Max. This meant that we could take things at our own pace and the choice of what to do was up to us - as Max kept reminding us it was our holiday!We were very lucky with the weather - so fickle in Iceland - so had two great hikes, foraging berries and spotting Icelandic flora (my wife was in heaven and identified loads), enjoying the views of the fjord, glacier, and waterfalls. We also had a great kayak trip accompanied by a seal, with whales nearby. We are not experienced but Max gave us instructions and made us feel safe, and we had no mishaps. Getting out at the sandbar to try to see the elusive whales was incredible.
Our main aim was to see arctic foxes and we were not disappointed - they played near the house much of the time and were so close! We took some great photos. We went in September so didn't see the midnight sun but got the northern lights instead.
The house at Kvíar was very comfortable, with cosy eider down duvets, plenty of tea and great food (thanks Max), and we enjoyed quiet times reading and enjoying the beautiful views and true solitude.
The boat ride out to Hornstrandir was very scenic and our skipper stopped the boat when whales came nearby. We had to take a separate inflatable boat from the ferry to the farmhouse, towing the kayaks behind, which added to the sense of adventure.
Thanks to Borea and especially Max for giving us our best holiday ever - we would love to come back.

Date of experience: September 2016
Runar K, Owner at Borea Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2016

Thanks Gwenllian for a very positive review.

We're very glad that you loved the trip. Max is a good guy. And also thank you for the list of plants that you spotted. Very helpful.

All the best