“Amazing Day Hike in the Hornstrandir Nature Reserve”
Review of West Tours

West Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Founded in 1993, West Tours is a well established travel and tour operator. Explore the beautiful Westfjords region with us on one of our many tours that include hiking, sailing, whale watching, kayaking, horse riding, biking and more. We are specialists in planing and operating tours to and in the Hornstrandir Nature Reserve. We offer tailor made tours for each group as well as scheduled tours for individual travelers.
Reviewed July 8, 2017

We did an all-day hike with West Tours in the beautiful Hornstrandir Nature Reserve in June 2017. Since the nature reserve is in such a remote part of the Westfjords, you need to take a boat ride back and forth to get there, which was all part of the tour. The boat starts by taking you from Isafjordur to Saebol where a zodiac then transfers you ashore.

The hike itself is long (14 km) and starts with an incline until you're on the top of a small mountain. From there it's all descent until you reach the beach of Hesteyri, which is the pick-up point for the boat. Overall the hike wasn't too strenuous (I'm not a regular hiker in any way), but it's definitely good to be prepared for some of the tougher, rocky parts during the ascent. The guide let us all go completely at our own pace, which was great for me because I have a bad knee. It didn't feel like anybody needed to race and with frequent stops on the way everyone got to relax and take in the beautiful scenery. It took our group about 7 hours to complete the hike.

The day hike is definitely worth a trip if you're in the Westfjords region. Especially if you're looking to experience a more remote part of Iceland. As a native Icelander, I can truly say that this is as remote as it gets! Bring a camera for all the beautiful nature and wildlife (we saw Arctic Foxes), good hiking shoes/clothing for all kinds of weather, food, and a water bottle to drink from all those mountain rivers. I can't thank West Tours more for putting together such a beautiful day tour in one of Iceland's most beautiful regions.

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"seals"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed July 8, 2017

We did a day hike to the gorgeous Hornstrandir Nature Reserve. The trip starts in the morning with a boat ride to the nature reserve and then the 8 mile hike begins - ending with a pleasant boat ride home with tired legs.

I've been to Iceland on several occasions and this was by far one of the best hikes I've ever done.

The views from this hike are some of the prettiest I've seen in Iceland. The nature reserve is so remote, there's nothing disrupting the eye's view the entire day. The hike is a constant feast for the eyes. There's the moment the boat enters the quaint bay where a century ago hardy fishers made their livelihood. There's the top of the hike where you can see all the fjords for miles and miles and the ocean beyond. Or the bottom of the hike, where you walk along a gorgeous long sandy beach to the dock.

We lucked out and had incredible weather. Truly stunning. Warm (for Iceland), with clear skies and a weak breeze to keep you from sweating too much.

I am not a hiker. And not even really a long walker. I didn't have any trouble on this hike, but my legs were tired (in a good way) at the end. The hike is very easy and the path is marked and safe. However, there is a 1 mile section that could be tricky depending on conditions and your own personal health as you scale the (small) mountain. The 'normal' route was too swamp filled, so we had to climb some steep, crumbly rocks for a while and my partner has a bad knee. She made it but it was a bit challenging and worrisome. There was no pressure to go at any pace other than our own and we always felt we were in good hands if we needed help.

After that baby mountain, it's all flat or downhill and a breeze. You just walk and enjoy. At the end there's about 3 buildings, one of which is a hostel that sells beer. So we relaxed in the sun and waited for the boat. And we got to see some arctic foxes. One of my best trips in Iceland, ever.

Reviewed July 2, 2017

Unfortunately we can't write a very positive review. The people, guide etc, are very nice.
But they totally misjudged the circumstances of the trip. Few weeks later now, I tried to have the emotions gone, but I still have nightmares :-(. Asking the captain whether we would go, because the waves and wind was high, the promiss was made that we would have only half an hour of two and a half hours, would be bumpy. Already have had quite some boottrips, this 2x two an half hours were hell on earth. The boat even almost kapseized! Even the very nice captain had to admit that. Also admitting to have under estimated especially the trip to horvik.
€824 for two with in total 5 hours hell on earth, would perhaps been worth, but we saw 1 fox, from a distance. And our walk was cut short, because the conditions of the other group was so dangerous (they did the cliff walk, unfortunately pointless,rain and low clouds gave zero view), that we left 1 hour earlier.
Really we would have liked to give a positive rewiew, as said, the people are nice, but in no way this trip was worth €412 pp

3  Thank gwen v
Reviewed June 30, 2017 via mobile

This was a great little afternoon outing. Sharp staff. Boat left on time. Great guide. So informative and fun. Trip takes about three hours. You will see a ton of birds but not as many puffins up close as you would like. Save that for Latrabjarg Cliffs.

You walk the whole island and then end up at a lovely dining room where the owner and family serve you desserts and coffee.

Nice little getaway off the mainland.