Heydalur Guesthouse
Hotel Djupavik(Kjorvogur)
Breidavik Guesthouse(Patreksfjorour)
  • Beachfront
TripAdvisor
All reviewsarctic foxnatural hot pothorse ridingnorthern lightsacross the rivericelandic horsesswimming pooltroutoff the beaten pathhot poolshighlight of our tripsea kayakingsummer househot springsboard gamesstayed longerfriendly dogs
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We stayed there in late August for two nights in a guesthouse. The guesthouse is very comfortable and clean. The area is very quiet and the landscape is great. We did a two hour horse riding trip, which was nice as well. The horses are calm and quite easy to handle. We had lunch and dinner which was well prepared and tasty. The personnel is very friendly. Life is easy in Heydalur!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 8, 2012

We were staying on the campsite, so I can't comment on the guesthouse, but we went to the restaurant twice in two days, ate a lot and were never disappointed. Fish or meat, starter or main course - everything tasted wonderful and did really taste special. Usually my wife lets me have a bite of her dinner to taste - here she ate it all by herself and only then remembered that the rest of the family was there in the first place. No kidding, it's really that good!
The only other place in Iceland where we have experienced similarly good food is the Klausturkaffi south of Egilsstadir.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 5, 2012

We only stayed 1 night, but Heydalur Guesthouse is a wonderful place. The food is amongst the best we've had in Iceland, especially the lamb fillets and the almond cake, all cooked so well by Stella in the kitchen. The restaurant is very appealing with a warm decor and temperature. Everyone is so friendly that you almost feel part of a family here. Food for lunch was also amazing, and if you come here, try to have as many meals as you can here!
The rooms are comfortable, although not very much spare room in them, it was more than adequate. We loved the walk along the river and even more so, the dip in the natural hot spring over the river from the main buildings, where you feel so relaxed in the heat, yet cooled by the air temperature.
We are travelling from Isafjordur back to Reykjavik and this is a great quarter-way stop overnight. There is more to do here if you want, we didn't do any horse riding, but the icelandic horses they have here looked good. Maybe next time.
Great place and great value.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 1, 2012

We had a fantastic stay at Heydalur. We arrived around 2pm and set up a horse back riding trip and some kayaking. At 4pm we went out with Cedilla for a 90 minute ride. She took us galloping back to the valley (well not always galloping - but going pretty fast most of the time!) through a river, and through this lovely valley to a waterfall. It was so fun. Then she took us down to the fjord and then back. My horse Hayley was super - she really liked to do that Icelandic gait - the pace - and although it wasn't super smooth it was quite the adventure. It was the best ride I have been on!

Then we went back to our room - basic but clean - and changed to go in the hot pot and pool. The hot pots were great - one cooler and the other nice and hot! Then a swim in the pool. That's a bit wierd as it's in a greenhouse so there are lots of plants growing around - maple trees, tomoatoes, and tons more. And the saddles and bridles for the horses hanging on the wall next to the pool. If they leave the door open by mistake the horses could come in and have a snack. (which evidently happens periodically!) Kind of unique spot, not super clean, but fun.

Dinner was great - I had the fish of the day which was declicious and everyone else at our table seemed to enjoy our meal.

After dinner the owner - Gisli?- took us out kayaking. We were on the water at about 9:30 and we kayaked over to a spot where the seals hang out and just paddled around visiting them. It was quiet, serene and so beautiful. I really loved that experience. My husband spent a lot of time talking to him about business and geothermal heating etc. I would say this was the highlight of our trip.

Breakfast was fantastic - lots of choices and then we were off. All in all we had a great time. Saw their 'pet' arctic fox, and played with their dog. The place is undergoing renovations and is a bit messy but it feels alot like a home. We loved it! If you aren't going to take advantage of all the fun stuff they have to offer, then maybe it won't fit the bill for you.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 25, 2012

I stayed here with my husband and we were not all that satisfied with our stay. Good thing is that the people were very friendly and the restaurant serves excellent & very reasonably priced food. However, the room was the worst we have stayed in during our 18 days roundtrip through Iceland. For some reason we got a room suited for 3 persons, but this wasn't like an upgrade apparently... First of all, the walls were so thin, you could hear the guests in the restaurant or the people working in the kitchen; it was very noisy! Then, the sheets were dirty and some even had stains of dried up blood which was absolutely disgusting. The bathroom was really poor, the shower was just a big, nasty curtain and I had the pleasure of starting with a warm shower and halfway through I got completely, freezing cold water. I must say, I hope that not all of their rooms are like that (judging on the pictures it might not be?) but this was a huge disappointment for us. The surroundings are nice, though construction is going on (extra rooms are being built), which will probably look very nice once it's finished... However, the rest of the immediate environment around the hotel is being neglected at this moment (lots of weeds everywhere for example, dirty chairs outside; ...it all looked a bit messy). I feel uncomfortable giving a 2, as the people were very friendly, but I can't ignore my bad experience with the room and can't give a 3 as it would not be comparable with the other ratings I have given. If I could give a tip, I would say that they can raise the price of the meals in the restaurant and invest that extra money in upgrading the old room/s...

Room Tip: I would recommend to wait for the new rooms to be finished
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple