“Wow - is the correct word for this hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Keflavik

Hotel Keflavik
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Keflavik
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Wow - is the correct word for this hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

After a long flight to Iceland I wanted to stay at some hotel close to the Airport. I was lucky to find Hotel Keflavik online. Online I was offered to take any taxi from the airport to the hotel and they would pay on arrival. And that was great - no waiting time on arrival and the taxi driver got his payment when we entered the hotel. As I was arriving early morning from JFK I was offered this great breakfast with out extra charge (I also had breakfast the next morning). Both days I found newly baked cakes and homemade bread and lot of fruits.
At Hotel Keflavik I got a nice deluxe room with everything you could expect in 4 star hotel and more. The room was very clean and relaxing with very nice designed bathroom. The restaurant was just prefect and had both great food and good service.

As I need to stay in Iceland now and then for my work I will next time choose Hotel Keflavik for my whole stay - not only the first night.

The hotel is close to the Blue Lagoon and only 5 minutes from the airport. Busses to Reykjavik are going every two hours.

Don´t miss this hotel if staying in Iceland.

Room Tip: My rooms was Deluxe room with a window to the quiet street in front of the hotel. I loved it.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Chap C
Steinþór J, Owner at Hotel Keflavik, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Dear Chap,

Thank you for your kindly written review. You're right: we do offer free taxi services to or from the airport. Which is very convenient as you mentioned because that minimizes waiting times. We try to think of these small details that make your stay so excellent. I'm glad you liked our breakfast also.

It's also good that your room was nice, and that you liked our recently remodeled bathrooms, and that you liked the restaurant.

I'm hoping to see you again at Hotel Keflavik!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Maarssen, Utrecht, Netherlands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

Outdated, dirty and tiny rooms. Paint on curtains. Thick layer of dust on pillows and cupboards after fetching pillows. Safe not working the whole stay . Even after 4 times asking. Should be 2 stars instead of 4.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Rex V
Steinþór J, Owner at Hotel Keflavik, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Dear Rex,

I'm sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at our Hotel. You said that the rooms are outdated, I'm sad that you felt this way. But we are as I've mentioned many times in the process of renovating both the exterior and interior. So you must have got an room that hasn't been renovated. I'm sorry about this.

We'll I can't though agree with you on the size of the rooms. The rooms are all spacious and have enough room to accommodate the guests. Same goes with them being dirty. You mentioned ''a thick layer of dust on pillows and cupboards''. I'm sorry but I find that untrue as all rooms are cleaned each day. Which makes dust hard to stay on pillows or cupboards if they're cleaned daily!

If the safe was not working and nothing was done on that matter I will have to go over that with the staff! Of course we want to be able to pride our selves on being able to give the best quality service we can. And your issue with the safe does not correspond with that.

Thank you for staying at Hotel Keflavik and I'm hoping that I will be able to welcome you back to the hotel and hopefully change your opinion on my hotel!

All the best,
Steinþor Jonsson
Yorkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

We stayed here on the last night of a week's stay in Iceland ready for our flight home to UK the following morning. On the plus side, we had a lovely room with a very comfortable bed. The taxi service to the airport provided by the hotel was very efficient. The meal in the restaurant was enjoyable and wine is reasonably priced. This hotel gives good value for money.
Unfortunately there were a few minor difficulties. The information in the booklet in the room said wifi was available but I had to take my computer two floors down to reception for a password to be put in and have the wifi in my room unlocked. It would be helpful if this information was given in the book. We telephoned reception as the TV remote control did not work. We were told to take the remote control down the two floors again where we were told the batteries were dead and were given a different remote control. One of the lights in the bathroom was not working. My husband was wakened up in the night by an earwig crawling on his neck in bed. The hotel website and the large advertising board opposite the hotel both say there are two restaurants, one of which is Chinese. This is not the case, one restaurant, no Chinese. Finally we were promised an early morning call which just didn't happen. Apparently their alarm was not set. This could have caused us a problem had we relied on it as we had an early flight.
So we were left with the impression of a quality hotel in a good location that does not pay attention to detail, which is a shame.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Steinþór J, Owner at Hotel Keflavik, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Thank you for your positive review!

I'm glad you liked your stay, the taxi service, our excellent restaurant and wine. And as you mentioned we always try to give our guests good value for their money.

You're right the hotel has free Wi-Fi working anywhere in the hotel. We lock the Wi-Fi with a username and password so only guests can access it. By doing that we are able to keep the internet safer and way faster. But you are not in need to go all the way down to the reception to get your access. All rooms are equipped with a phone which can be used to call down to the reception. You could have called us to get your wireless access.

On the other hand, concerning the remote, I'm sorry that the batteries were dead in the remote. But when this happens we change the batteries or equip you with another remote, which was what we did for you. Of course this can happen but we then do our best to fix these minor annoyances. And thank you for telling us about one of the lights in the bathroom were not working, we have changed the bulb now.

But there is one thing I do not understand, and that is the earwig. They do not thrive in the keflavik area and must have somehow gotten into the room by one of the previous guests luggage. Not in any case that I can remember has a bug been found in a guest room. But we've checked the room to make sure this doesn't happen to our future guest staying in that particular room.

We do not on our website advertise a chinese restaurant. We used to have one many years back, and the explains the ad-board outside. We do have a excellent a la carté restaurant serving both Icelandic- and international cuisine as you know.

I would also like to apologize on the wake up call. Of course this is not the kind of service we pride ourselves on being able to give our guests. We have a really good system concerning the wake-up calls but unfortunately it failed this time. I will have to go over this with the staff.

But all-in-all I'm glad you liked your stay and I'm sad that you didn't think we pay enough attention to details. But if you will ever come again to Iceland I hope we will be lucky enough to welcome you again and then I'm sure we will be able to show you our detailed care for our guests!
Lewisburg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

We had some difficulty with the guest bed and the shower (and the wifi has issues), but otherwise my stay was pleasant. The breakfast is great and the staff is very welcoming. The board displaying whether or not flights are on time at the Keflavik airport is a nice touch.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank E T
Steinþór J, Owner at Hotel Keflavik, responded to this review, October 15, 2012

I'm glad you enjoyed the stay at our hotel and I'm also happy that the staff was welcoming and that the breakfast was able to exceed your expectations. It would be really nice though if you could send us information on when you stayed and in what room so it would be possible to have a look at the bed and the shower. Recently we have been doing vast renovations on the hotels plumbing to ensure a higher pressure- and quality shower. We will have to look at this matter to ensure our guests experience the most quality during their stay.

Again: thank you very much for your review and for staying with us. I hope I'm able to see you again at Hotel Keflavik!
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

My young daughter and I had a lovely stay at the Hotel Keflavik. Arrivals and departures to/from the airport are often at unsociable hours, but the hotel staff made every effort to accommodate. The breakfast buffet is fabulous, particularly as it opens at 5 am. It is worth renting a car if basing yourself in Keflavik, as the buses into Reykjavik don't run very often, and there is some beutiful countryside around the area that you would otherwise never see. Our room was very comfortable, and perfectly suited to what we needed. I would recommend Hotel Keflavik wholeheartdly.

Stayed October 2012
1 Thank nipedwar
Steinþór J, Owner at Hotel Keflavik, responded to this review, October 14, 2012

I'm glad you like your stay at our Hotel. We try to make an effort to make our guests enjoy their stay as air travelling can be quite exhausting and we allso try to make an good early-morning breakfast. It is always good to know that our efforts are making your stay better.

One other thing: you're right. The Reykjanes Peninsula has alot of scenic beauty which tends to be forgotten by travelers. I would, I'm sure you'd agree with me, reccomend experiencing the peninsula when visiting Iceland as it's extraordinary.

I hope that you'll someday come back to our hotel!
Lewes
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

This is my greatest bugbear but when will hotel reception staff learn to be welcoming when guests check in? If you don't like people, don't work in hospitality. I resent being checked into a hotel, as I was at Hotel Keflavik, by a woman who clearly thought she was processing cattle at an abattoir. The hotel itself has, apparently, undergone renovations in the 1970s and 1980s with the owner presumably pointing to random items in an East German hotel trade catalogue. We had a room with a red carpet with a blue/green frieze and beige wallpaper. Brooding over this interior-decoration catastrophe was the most bizarre item of furniture I have ever seen. It must have looked good in the '80s: a massive cabinet with mini-bar at the bottom (empty so what's the point), TV in the middle and a huge safe in the top. The safe could have easily contained the Imperial State Crown complete with orb and scepter and gave off a somewhat menacing impression. The bathroom had a Ceausescu-style gold (!) ceiling and the sort of cubed-glass blocks you generally find in London men's urinals. Very odd indeed although, it must be said, quite comfortable. But why no FREE wifi? Everywhere else in Iceland has it so why not a hotel which presumably caters for many business people? This smacks of the worse, greedy excesses of British hotels who also make you pay for what these days is a basic necessity. You really wouldn't want to stay here for long (the surrounding town of Keflavik is pretty grim and windswept) and I'd recommend this hotel for its proximity to the airport and value for money.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Steinþór J, Owner at Hotel Keflavik, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Dear guest,

Thanks for a detailed review. I'm sorry that our staff was not welcoming. Of course that is not the kind of service we pride ourselves on being able to give our guests. I will surely have a look at this.

The hotel was founded in 1986, you pointed out that the hotel last went under renovations in the 1980s. I can assure we have renovated frequently since and we are undergoing a major renovation at the hotel right now. The description you gave of the room sort of matches the decoration we are changing from.

I'm sorry that you're interior decoration-style does not match the hotels style. The hotel has pictures on our website, TripAdvisor and booking.com to show our guests what the ought to expect. And the pictures we show online perfectly resemble the guest rooms! Your room had a fridge, not a mini-bar. That is the reason for the so called ''empty mini-bar'' all minibar items can be ordered at the hotel and our reception staff will happily help you with that.

You mentioned our bathrooms in a rather demeaning manner. 90% of our bathrooms have recently been renovated! And you can also see pictures of them online, for future guests. We are proud of the renovations and they look terrific.
You said we don't have free WIFI, we do have free WIFI for all of our guests which we never charge for!

The town of keflavik has a lot to offer for it's guests, I can assure you and our team can surely help you recommend things to do/and see.

Thanks for staying with us, and I'm hoping to be able to give you a better welcome if you come again.
Bristol
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

Perfectly decent hotel. Good for the airport and the hotel arranged and paid or transport. Only to gripes: first, the room stank of stale smoke, which is unusual nowadays; secondly, the hotel restaurant is very small and could not accommodate us. There are not that many alternatives in Keflavik.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mark G
Steinþór J, Owner at Hotel Keflavik, responded to this review, September 30, 2012

We're glad you liked your stay. But concerning the smoking in your room: The hotel has a non-smoking policy and we do not allow smoking anywhere in the hotel. Of course it happens occasionally that guest violate these rules. But in those cases we try to get rid of the odor in any way we can. We use odor-killing sprays and try to ventilate the air. In most cases it's sufficient and we can eliminate the odor but unfortunately that was not the case in your situation. When this happens we try to switch the rooms. I'm sorry that we were not able to serve you at the restaurant, usually the size is not a problem and we can serve all of our guests. But If we are able to welcome you back to our hotel we will gladly serve you. But our staff is always happy to help you find alternatives within walking distance.

Hope to see you again