“A good hotel for the airport but with a few minor annoyances”
Review of Hotel Keflavik

Hotel Keflavik
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Keflavik
Yorkshire
“A good hotel for the airport but with a few minor annoyances”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We stayed here on the last night of a week's stay in Iceland ready for our flight home to UK the following morning. On the plus side, we had a lovely room with a very comfortable bed. The taxi service to the airport provided by the hotel was very efficient. The meal in the restaurant was enjoyable and wine is reasonably priced. This hotel gives good value for money.
Unfortunately there were a few minor difficulties. The information in the booklet in the room said wifi was available but I had to take my computer two floors down to reception for a password to be put in and have the wifi in my room unlocked. It would be helpful if this information was given in the book. We telephoned reception as the TV remote control did not work. We were told to take the remote control down the two floors again where we were told the batteries were dead and were given a different remote control. One of the lights in the bathroom was not working. My husband was wakened up in the night by an earwig crawling on his neck in bed. The hotel website and the large advertising board opposite the hotel both say there are two restaurants, one of which is Chinese. This is not the case, one restaurant, no Chinese. Finally we were promised an early morning call which just didn't happen. Apparently their alarm was not set. This could have caused us a problem had we relied on it as we had an early flight.
So we were left with the impression of a quality hotel in a good location that does not pay attention to detail, which is a shame.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Steinþór J, Owner at Hotel Keflavik, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Thank you for your positive review!

I'm glad you liked your stay, the taxi service, our excellent restaurant and wine. And as you mentioned we always try to give our guests good value for their money.

You're right the hotel has free Wi-Fi working anywhere in the hotel. We lock the Wi-Fi with a username and password so only guests can access it. By doing that we are able to keep the internet safer and way faster. But you are not in need to go all the way down to the reception to get your access. All rooms are equipped with a phone which can be used to call down to the reception. You could have called us to get your wireless access.

On the other hand, concerning the remote, I'm sorry that the batteries were dead in the remote. But when this happens we change the batteries or equip you with another remote, which was what we did for you. Of course this can happen but we then do our best to fix these minor annoyances. And thank you for telling us about one of the lights in the bathroom were not working, we have changed the bulb now.

But there is one thing I do not understand, and that is the earwig. They do not thrive in the keflavik area and must have somehow gotten into the room by one of the previous guests luggage. Not in any case that I can remember has a bug been found in a guest room. But we've checked the room to make sure this doesn't happen to our future guest staying in that particular room.

We do not on our website advertise a chinese restaurant. We used to have one many years back, and the explains the ad-board outside. We do have a excellent a la carté restaurant serving both Icelandic- and international cuisine as you know.

I would also like to apologize on the wake up call. Of course this is not the kind of service we pride ourselves on being able to give our guests. We have a really good system concerning the wake-up calls but unfortunately it failed this time. I will have to go over this with the staff.

But all-in-all I'm glad you liked your stay and I'm sad that you didn't think we pay enough attention to details. But if you will ever come again to Iceland I hope we will be lucky enough to welcome you again and then I'm sure we will be able to show you our detailed care for our guests!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Lewisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We had some difficulty with the guest bed and the shower (and the wifi has issues), but otherwise my stay was pleasant. The breakfast is great and the staff is very welcoming. The board displaying whether or not flights are on time at the Keflavik airport is a nice touch.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank E T
Steinþór J, Owner at Hotel Keflavik, responded to this review, October 15, 2012

I'm glad you enjoyed the stay at our hotel and I'm also happy that the staff was welcoming and that the breakfast was able to exceed your expectations. It would be really nice though if you could send us information on when you stayed and in what room so it would be possible to have a look at the bed and the shower. Recently we have been doing vast renovations on the hotels plumbing to ensure a higher pressure- and quality shower. We will have to look at this matter to ensure our guests experience the most quality during their stay.

Again: thank you very much for your review and for staying with us. I hope I'm able to see you again at Hotel Keflavik!
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

My young daughter and I had a lovely stay at the Hotel Keflavik. Arrivals and departures to/from the airport are often at unsociable hours, but the hotel staff made every effort to accommodate. The breakfast buffet is fabulous, particularly as it opens at 5 am. It is worth renting a car if basing yourself in Keflavik, as the buses into Reykjavik don't run very often, and there is some beutiful countryside around the area that you would otherwise never see. Our room was very comfortable, and perfectly suited to what we needed. I would recommend Hotel Keflavik wholeheartdly.

Stayed October 2012
1 Thank nipedwar
Steinþór J, Owner at Hotel Keflavik, responded to this review, October 14, 2012

I'm glad you like your stay at our Hotel. We try to make an effort to make our guests enjoy their stay as air travelling can be quite exhausting and we allso try to make an good early-morning breakfast. It is always good to know that our efforts are making your stay better.

One other thing: you're right. The Reykjanes Peninsula has alot of scenic beauty which tends to be forgotten by travelers. I would, I'm sure you'd agree with me, reccomend experiencing the peninsula when visiting Iceland as it's extraordinary.

I hope that you'll someday come back to our hotel!
Lewes
Reviewed October 6, 2012

This is my greatest bugbear but when will hotel reception staff learn to be welcoming when guests check in? If you don't like people, don't work in hospitality. I resent being checked into a hotel, as I was at Hotel Keflavik, by a woman who clearly thought she was processing cattle at an abattoir. The hotel itself has, apparently, undergone renovations in the 1970s and 1980s with the owner presumably pointing to random items in an East German hotel trade catalogue. We had a room with a red carpet with a blue/green frieze and beige wallpaper. Brooding over this interior-decoration catastrophe was the most bizarre item of furniture I have ever seen. It must have looked good in the '80s: a massive cabinet with mini-bar at the bottom (empty so what's the point), TV in the middle and a huge safe in the top. The safe could have easily contained the Imperial State Crown complete with orb and scepter and gave off a somewhat menacing impression. The bathroom had a Ceausescu-style gold (!) ceiling and the sort of cubed-glass blocks you generally find in London men's urinals. Very odd indeed although, it must be said, quite comfortable. But why no FREE wifi? Everywhere else in Iceland has it so why not a hotel which presumably caters for many business people? This smacks of the worse, greedy excesses of British hotels who also make you pay for what these days is a basic necessity. You really wouldn't want to stay here for long (the surrounding town of Keflavik is pretty grim and windswept) and I'd recommend this hotel for its proximity to the airport and value for money.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Steinþór J, Owner at Hotel Keflavik, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Dear guest,

Thanks for a detailed review. I'm sorry that our staff was not welcoming. Of course that is not the kind of service we pride ourselves on being able to give our guests. I will surely have a look at this.

The hotel was founded in 1986, you pointed out that the hotel last went under renovations in the 1980s. I can assure we have renovated frequently since and we are undergoing a major renovation at the hotel right now. The description you gave of the room sort of matches the decoration we are changing from.

I'm sorry that you're interior decoration-style does not match the hotels style. The hotel has pictures on our website, TripAdvisor and booking.com to show our guests what the ought to expect. And the pictures we show online perfectly resemble the guest rooms! Your room had a fridge, not a mini-bar. That is the reason for the so called ''empty mini-bar'' all minibar items can be ordered at the hotel and our reception staff will happily help you with that.

You mentioned our bathrooms in a rather demeaning manner. 90% of our bathrooms have recently been renovated! And you can also see pictures of them online, for future guests. We are proud of the renovations and they look terrific.
You said we don't have free WIFI, we do have free WIFI for all of our guests which we never charge for!

The town of keflavik has a lot to offer for it's guests, I can assure you and our team can surely help you recommend things to do/and see.

Thanks for staying with us, and I'm hoping to be able to give you a better welcome if you come again.
Bristol
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Perfectly decent hotel. Good for the airport and the hotel arranged and paid or transport. Only to gripes: first, the room stank of stale smoke, which is unusual nowadays; secondly, the hotel restaurant is very small and could not accommodate us. There are not that many alternatives in Keflavik.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mark G
Steinþór J, Owner at Hotel Keflavik, responded to this review, September 30, 2012

We're glad you liked your stay. But concerning the smoking in your room: The hotel has a non-smoking policy and we do not allow smoking anywhere in the hotel. Of course it happens occasionally that guest violate these rules. But in those cases we try to get rid of the odor in any way we can. We use odor-killing sprays and try to ventilate the air. In most cases it's sufficient and we can eliminate the odor but unfortunately that was not the case in your situation. When this happens we try to switch the rooms. I'm sorry that we were not able to serve you at the restaurant, usually the size is not a problem and we can serve all of our guests. But If we are able to welcome you back to our hotel we will gladly serve you. But our staff is always happy to help you find alternatives within walking distance.

Hope to see you again
Chicago, IL
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I think the some of the previous reviewers was way off with their expectations. This hotel is a great way to start or end your Iceland vacation. Here are my usual pros and cons:

Pros:
- Great 5 star breakfast!!! Seriously! this can compete with other 5 star hotels.
- CLEAN rooms and updated bath rooms.
- Free 5 minute taxi ride to the airport paid for by the hotel front desk.
- Blue Lagoon is only 10-15 minutes drive away
- Very close to the airport

Cons:
- It is true that the hotel has the atmosphere of the 80s, but some areas like the bathroom have been updated. If you are looking for super hip hotel look somewhere else.
- Bathroom has limited set of toiletries, like I did not find a separate shampoo (I did not ask for one), but on the other hand they provided shower caps? I wish I had kept that for the Blue Lagoon.
- Keflavik really has nothing to write home about so the hotel is really only ideal for overnight stays for early morning departures or late night arrivals. BUT for that it IS great!

Overall this is a good hotel and I a good deal in Iceland between the $100-$150 range.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ucipass
Steinþór J, Owner at Hotel Keflavik, responded to this review, September 25, 2012

After 26 years in the business we have learned a lot but we are always looking to improve our selfs. You're right, your bathroom was recently renovated, we have renovated a large amount of the bathrooms and the windows at the hotel. We will continue to do so, renovate the exterior of the hotel and also the rooms in the nearest future.

I'm also glad you liked our breakfast as we try to make it the best we can, because travelers are often coming from flights or departing so a rich, healthy breakfast is vital. If you ever visit us again as I hope, we will surely recommend things to do in our closest surroundings.

Thank you again and I hope to welcome you again to our Hotel in the future!
San Jose, California
Reviewed September 11, 2012

This place touts itself as one of the only "four star" hotels in Iceland, so my husband and I were looking forward to staying there on our last night in the country. However, when we arrived, we realized that it is definitely not worthy of a four star review. The hotel looks like it was really nice in the 1980s, when it was apparently last renovated, but it now looks very outdated (even down to the old-school key cards).

The worst part of the experience was the dirty room. The bathroom and shower was littered with previous guests' hair, and the kitchen sink looked like it had not been cleaned in weeks. Disgusting.

The sheets were very low thread count...it was like sleeping on sandpaper. Furthermore, the mattress was very uncomfortable.

The website mentions that the hotel has city views and ocean views. Our "ocean view" room was actually a view of the parking lot.

The only saving grace was the free breakfast in the morning. There was a nice spread of both meats and sweets. It was a nice send off to a sub-par experience. If I even travel to Iceland again, I will try the Icelandair hotel next door which has contemporary decorating and seems much nicer.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
davidjons, Front Office Manager at Hotel Keflavik, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
I am sorry you did not like your stay and be sure I will go over this with my cleaning ladies. In what room did you stay and when?