“Puffins, whales & sails. Amazing!”
Review of North Sailing

Original Whale Watching Tour on board a Traditional Oak Ship from Husavik
Ranked #1 of 19 things to do in Husavik
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Eco-friendly whale watching since 1995! Pioneers in whale watching and sustainable tourism, North Sailing is a dedicated family company with a great respect for wildlife and nature. Since the beginning in Husavik, in 1995, North Sailing has been awarded both nationally and internationally for innovation, regional development and sustainability. The Husavik original whale watching tour with North Sailing has been visitors' top pick for more than 20 years, placing the small fishing town on the map as the whale watching capital of Iceland. Now the tour is available carbon-neutral, a 100% natural experience on silent, green energy, electric boats with minimum disturbance to whales and nature. Also offering puffins and northern lights tours from Husavik. With the authentic fleet, highly qualified and dedicated crew with great sailing experience and wildlife knowledge, North Sailing seeks to inspire people to reconnect with history and nature.
UK
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Puffins, whales & sails. Amazing!”
Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

Two of us did this tour last week and it was fantastic. If time had allowed we would have immediately booked another trip the following day.

The company is very professional, the boats are beautiful and the staff knowledgeable and enthusiastic.

We didn't really appreciate it when we were booking, but North Sailing have a very sustainable/cultural heritage/environmental mindset. You notice this attitude most when you see the competitor's rubber boats bullying the whales and getting (in my opinion) far too close. I was therefore glad we went with North Sailing.

Puffin island has so many birds you can't fail to see them and the whales were out in reasonable numbers, showing their tails and blowing water. We saw a lot even though this seemed to be an 'average' trip.

Another highlight was cutting the engine and hoisting the sails. Even if you have no interest in sailing you can't help but feel like a romantic pirate as the wind takes you back to the harbour.

I will be recommending this trip to all my friends and family if they visit Iceland!

Visited July 2013
North_Sailing, Ticket Sales at North Sailing, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
We are so glad you enjoyed your experience with us. North Sailing is proud of the work we do to be environmentally conscious and to preserve cultural heritage. You say that you would have booked another tour if you had the time, so we would like to let you know that you are welcome to visit us again when you are next in Husavik!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Trondheim, Norway
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Worth the whole trip to Iceland”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

This whale watching trip was worth the whole trip to Iceland for me. It's of course quite a bit of luck that the boat trip turned out like it did, but it was perfect! There was almost no wind, the sun was shining and we saw five humpback whales, one minky whale and a blue whale!

The crew was nice and the guide was good. I'd recommend to go on a boat trip with one of the larger boats, not the RIB's. When you're on one of the larger boats you can walk around, use a toilet and go inside if you like.

Visited July 2013
We are glad you enjoyed your whale watching trip with us. Saying that the experience was "worth the whole trip to Iceland" is quite a compliment and we thank you for taking the time to give us a review.
Ottawa, Canada
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 202 helpful votes
“Have I Got a Whale of a Tail for You!”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Over a 20 year period of time I must have gone on about 25 to 30 Whale Watches in many different corners of the world (Monterey California, Cabo San Lucas Mexico, Provincetown Cape Cod, Grand Manan Island New Brunswick, the Saguaney/St. Lawrence area of Quebec, Dalvik Iceland).
On each trip your are on an unknown odyssey of adventure with mother nature and the unknown gentle monsters of the deep. Weather can often be a factor, fog, rain, rolling waters, high seas, biting winds, scorching sun, and of course you might have shy whales who are somewhere other than where your whale watch is.

Our experience with North Sailing was excellent and here is why.
1. Their sales kiosk was very helpful with restaurant suggestions and places to park, plus, they were polite and gave us a seniors price deal.
2. The boat was well equipped, sea worthy, clean and spacious and comfortable.
3. The captain and crew were awesome, they gave us lots of information on the whales and habitat, we maneuvered carefully and relatively close to lots of whales.
4. The Fjord that we travelled in was breathtakingly beautiful, the waters for our trip were calm.
5. Cold weather gear was available to all, but get yours early so as you get a comfortable size for you (it's cold out there, you're close to the Arctic Circle, and even though land temperature may well be close to 20C, by the time you get out to the sighting area the air temp may be closer to 10C and windy with the forward movement of the boat).
6. We maneuvered around a number of places in the fjord and were able to see many different whales in these different locations.
7. But most important, we saw lots and lots of whales, in groups at times, mostly humpbacks, and a number of minke whales too. Probably a total of about 15 whales in about 3 different areas.
8. Informative naturalists, with a knowledge of not only the whales, and birds, and other sea mammals, but the surrounding rivers and landscape. Friendly and knowledgeable and enthusiastic too.
9. Great camera ops and angles from the boat which had enough room for all to see and enjoy the awe inspiring beauty of the world's largest creatures!
10. Hot chocolate and cinnamon rolls to warm you up and satisfy your hunger, which is heightened by the brisk sea air, a comforting and appreciated touch.

If you've never gone on a whale watch this is a good one, it features humpbacks, the stars of the whale watching. Good value and a beautiful location.
FYI, if you are in the area and want to try another good whale watch I highly recommend, Arctic Sea Tours in Dalvik just north of Akureyri. An excellent captain and a chance to catch and eat fresh cod!
Once you go on one whale watch you are hooked, the grace and the beauty and the awe of these powerful creatures, set against the grace and the beauty and the awe of the Icelandic terrain. It's all quite breathtaking, and when you get home you will have a whale of a tale to tell!!

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Bleuemoon2
We're glad you enjoyed your trip with us. We do our best to insure that all of our passengers have a good experience. We love what we do and try to share our enthusiasm with our guests.
scotland
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Simply the best, a dream come true”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I bought a 3 day multipass ticket, this enabled me and my husband to go on as many trips as we wanted over three days. We went on eight trips, each trip was a different experience, we saw multiple humpbacks on each trip. We learnt so much, the team are enthusiastic, they are professional and really care about the whales and have researchers on board. I personally loved all of the boats that north sailing have. Gentle Giants have a rib, however, whilst this gets out fast to the whales, I was personally horrified to see just how fast on 2 of my 8 trips that I saw them come in to the whales way too fast and on one occasion passengers on our north sailing boat and another were heard to scream as gentle giants rib almost hit one of the whales. I think gentle giants desire to please its passengers with their high speed boats sometimes negates the respect that we should have for these whales in their environment. So gentle giants if your reading this please be gentle on your approach and please slow down. Given that I witnessed their approach way too fast on 2 of 8 trips and I did not always see their boats on all trips I am concerned for the safety of the whales and thus I am very glad I chose north sailing and would do so again and again.

The hot chocolate and cinnamon roll was lovely, you can get overalls to keep you warm, take a wooly hat and gloves.

North sailing do not stay with any one whale too long which I liked, I saw multiple humpbacks on each trip, you see there beautiful flukes as they dive and as the staff explained they feed in iceland thus breaching is rare as they mainly breach in Africa where they breed or in rough seas, which they think they may do as communication or to eradicate parasites. I was lucky I saw them breach on 2 trips and it was truly a dream come true.

We also saw them head bop, and we saw a blue whale, multiple minkes and dolphins which I just love watching ride the bow wave, was truly amazing.I will add photos when I get back.

If you want a good spot I'd recommend the upper level or right at the bow of the boat, I'd stand there at the start too as otherwise if your small like me and your only on one trip you will definitely see the whale but may not get the best spot.lol.

If you have time I'd recommend multiple trips ring them and ask for a multi trip pass, none of my trips were the same and being down on deck gives you a totally different perspective than being up top, our last day we stayed on the deck. Personally my best trips were the ones at five and eight pm, but that was just the luck of what happened lol.

The whale watching museum Is great you get a discount voucher when you buy your north sailing ticket, it s definitely worth a visit. Gamli Baukur served very tasty food and are reasonably priced, there burger was the most tasty burger I have ever eaten and if you have a gluten allergy the burger itself is gluten free. We also ate at Salka which also served tasty food, the service seemed a little slow but only mildly so, and the food was tasty.

We stayed at akureryi which takes an hour and fifteen minutes leisurely drive through beautiful scenery. We stayed there as we had difficulty finding a place in husavik so book your accommodation early.

I can't thank north sailing enough, thank you for your respect of these magnificent whales, your knowledge, your professionalism, friendliness and for making our dream come true, we will never forget these 3 days and we will be back.

Special thanks to singred, Sabrina, louisea your knowledge was outstanding, good luck with your future projects.

Many thanks Dr Collister-Bartlett

Visited July 2013
We are so glad you enjoyed your experience with us. We enjoyed having you on so many of our trips. You really had some wonderful tours and got to see all the wonderful wildlife and scenery that Husavik and Skjalfandi bay have to offer. We do our best to respect the animals and the environment and we thank you for noticing our efforts. We would be happy to welcome you again in Husavik.
Richmond, Virginia
76 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 92 helpful votes
“Rough water can't stop this crew!”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We were scheduled to go on the smaller boats with another company but the water was so rough many of the trips were cancelled. This co took the big schooner like boat out and while the water was rough the trip was so exciting and we saw whales which is why we went there! They provided great warm, suits and the crew was great with the passengers who didn't feel so well! A morning of big disappointment turned into one of our greatest vacation memories!

Visited July 2013
We do our best to ensure that everyone has a good experience on our tours even if the sea might be a little rough. We're glad you enjoyed your trip with us and that you consider it one of your "best vacation memories".