“Avoid hostel staff weren't friendly and 50kms from anywhere”
Review of Hostel Vagnsstadir

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hofn
Hostel Vagnsstadir
Ranked #13 of 19 Specialty Lodging in Hofn
Reviewed July 5, 2014

I visited this hostel during summer. This was my penultimate stop in Iceland and the third last country on a three/four month tour. It goes down at the rudest staff I've ever met and hence my worst stay in the 20 or so hostels I visited in that time.

We made our way to the hostel, careful to ensure we had provisions. We called ahead to book the hostel and after traveling four hours arrived. The hostel is definitely in The middle of nowhere on a small farm. There is nothing for 50kms we read and it was definitely true. We came in and the staff - a man of 16 years old helped us to our room. We liked the appointments and the size of the bed. He mentioned that of we had any questions we should ask him.  We were full to the brim with food as we knew the hostel didn't have food. Though having stayed at so many hostels we knew that as a minimum all hostels have salt and sugar. We found the salt for a nice roast and decided to have a coffee to finish off the meal. We looked everywhere for sugar and couldn't find it. We asked the man if he had sugar to which he said that there wasn't any provided. I said could you ask if you had any cause we would like a coffee and as a minimum it is quite normal that sugar and salt are provided. Well not this place. I said ask your manager to get us some as its too far to drive and we would like two spoons. Well that's when the trouble started. The manager came and berated me for asking. If I provided you sugar then everyone will want some and what if the sugar is stolen. The manager had been to 71 countries and the hostel had been open since 1996. This was the first time she had ever encountered such a situation. I was surprised as this was actually this first time I have been to a hostel without sugar. Apparently I must be a novice traveler. Well I've been to probably 500hostels and hotels so I said no I'm an experienced traveler. I felt very stressed out and concerned.  They have your details and they are treating me like im the enemy. Its something you dont want to feel on your holiday.
After the manager left we talked with the young man. He said its logical we don't provide sugar and I quote "you don't deserve sugar". No problem. I can write it up in a review and we won't need to decide who deserves this and who deserves that. The young manager said she would reply to my message on trip advisor telling everyone not to listen to me. Maybe to say that even though there isn't sugar I deserved to be treated with contempt and in a self righteous manner. No problem write your response I'm happy you have so much time to write a review and so little time to give me two spoons of sugar.
I definitely will not recommend this place to anyone. Strongly avoid if you want a stress free holiday.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
7  Thank d o

Reviewed July 1, 2014

Six friends and I stayed at this hostel for one night, and were really satisfied. It was clean and organized, the dining area was cozy and comfortable. There were enough toilets, but there could have been a few more showers. The rest was great, we were really satisfied

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Larissa P
Reviewed June 8, 2014

While the hosts themselves are fine -- friendly, helpful and warm as could be -- the hostel (and the town) has a depressing feeling. Both of us -- adult motorcyclists -- immediately felt a great sense of emotional weight and desire to leave as soon as we arrived. We had stayed in hostels in Reykjavik, Stikkisholmur, Akureyri and Seydisfjordur up to this point, so we had experiences in a number of other HI and non-HI hostels.

This hostel was formerly a nursing home, and for us it carried a sense of discomfort and lost souls. There is no real lounge area with couches or armchairs, tho the dining room is large and well lit and there is another sunny area with tables.

The multiple bunk bed dorms were all in the damp cold basement. The kitchen is large, but it feels grimly industrial; I don't recall a bit of personality or color in the decor of the hostel. There were however two black and white 1950-1960's photo-portraits of two very serious, unsmiling people, a man and a woman, surrounding a 19th century painted portrait of a man. The man and woman in the black and white portraits looked like the severe headmaster and mistress of a very unpleasant private school; not inspiring or welcoming in the least.

The hostel is a good 20-25 minute walk into the port area to eat, but walking thru the neighborhoods to get there is a stroll thru ticky-tacky concrete houses without a bit or warmth to them. You can also walk along the coast, but that's a good 45 minutes, tho beautiful.

The public pool is close to the hostel and as always, a great deal in Iceland: ca. $5 for outdoor pool(s), hot-pots and slides. Immaculately clean as they all are.

In addition to all the above, the town itself offers literally nothing other than a small, well designed tourist center with excellent historical display and three restaurants: one very good and quite expensive, another a bit more moderate in price, and a third a bit less expensive again on the main road into the port area. There is also a simple greasy spoon where we got two breakfasts: ried eggs, bacon, toast and coffee for almost $30 (this is Iceland, where it seems impossible to eat in a restaurant of any type whatsoever for less than that).

The town itself is a bit of a mystery: there is nothing -- repeat nothing -- to see or do in this town (other than eat) that could possibly make it any more than a desperation stop on the way East or West, or a barely close location to explore the National Park (which is not quite that close).

My suggestion: skip this town.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Zigy K
Reviewed May 20, 2014

We travelled as a camera club group on a 7 night trip around Iceland staying in a different hostel each night, and had our sixth night here. We were made to feel very welcome, the hostel was clean and modern. No breakfast was provided so we had to ensure we bought provisions - but a great kitchen with everything you need to cook. We had a mix of private single & private double rooms, others in a dorm and everyone was happy. At the end of the trip this hostel was voted the Top Hostel of our stay. Close to Jokulsarlon (the famous iceberg lake) which allowed us to do both sunset and sunrise photography and many glaciers. Our stay was much too short here.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Strabanejohn
Reviewed May 10, 2014

We stayed here whilst enjoying Vatnajokull national park and all it has to offer, and would definitely stay here again. It's a good location to explore the national park for daily hikes and exploring the glacier, and had a lovely feel to it. The facilities in the kitchen were good, plus a nice lounge area and rooms were clean. Not a huge place so I would advise booking in the summer, but a great place to use as a base whilst exploring this area.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mareofessex
Reviewed September 17, 2013

This hostel is difficult to find at night when we were driving from Myvtan area, once you see the sign to Hofn, don't turned into it but drive straight ... it still needs over 45 mins driving.

But i find this hostel is really lovely, located in a very quiet peaceful beautiful place. and the hostel keeper's dog is lovely and she loves to play with all guests..

We stayed in a six bed dorm on the G/F, a washing basin inside the room. The room is small and the bed too..However. cannot complaint in this remote area. 3 share showers on G/F, the water tape is in "push" type, heat water is available all the time but slow running.. but fine for me.

No cooking and showers after 10pm. the kitchen is perfect with a beautiful view . Excellent location if you want to visit Glacier Lagoo. a very short drive .. Only a no-man petrol station nearby (5 mins drive to Hofn direction), get your N1 Petrol card in advance.

There are also cottages outside the main bldg with 4 beds each, toilets inside but shower only in the man bldg.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 22, 2013

A really nice hostel in a good location. Hofn itself did not have a lot to see but the natural beauty within easy drive was well worth the stay in the area.

The hostel was nice with good bedrooms, clean kitchen and basic bathrooms.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hofn
Hotel Smyrlabjorg
Skyrhusid Guest House
Hali Country Hotel
Hali Country Hotel
#2 of 19 in Hofn

Been to Hostel Vagnsstadir? Share your experiences!