“Lovely people, comfortable rooms in perfect location”
Review of Guesthouse Dyngja

Guesthouse Dyngja
Ranked #3 of 19 Hofn B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 12, 2013

This guesthouse is owned and run by a delightful young couple, Fanney and Sindri, ably assisted by a couple of other staff. I cannot speak highly enough of Fanney and Sindri, who went out of their way to help us and other guests. Fanney stopped cooking her own dinner in order to spend ages on the phone sorting out a tour for me, and in the end I think (I couldn't follow what she was saying) I suspect she pulled some strings and got us onto a tour that wasn't actually going to run otherwise.

I also watched as Sindri took ages assisting another party of guests in planning their next day's travel; and also saw how quickly they offered to drive yet another couple to the bus station at 7:30 the following morning, not the easiest of times for any guesthouse owner.

Apart from that, the rooms were extremely comfortable, with a well-appointed, shared bathroom. Communal facilities welcoming, with kettle for tea and coffee right there in the lounge area.

And as for the location - right over the road from the current Tripadvisor No 1 & 2 restaurants (and we ate in one of them, superb!!) and on the other side is Hofn's pretty little harbour - perfect for a stroll after one of those enormous langoustine dinners!

One of the very best - if not THE best - guesthouse we stayed in Iceland. Go there if you can!

Reviewed July 24, 2013

My husband and I just stayed at this guesthouse last night. It was right by the harbor in town. The room was very spacious and clean with two twin beds connected but was very comfortable. There is a nice living room with complimentary coffee and tea that you can make for yourself while listening to records which was a nice way to wind down our night. The owners were out of town but there is a nice girl that was friendly and recommended a great restaurant to us. The breakfast was also included and was really good. It just really had a comfortable vibe.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

A very friendly couple is running this nice guest house. Great location! My room had harbour view. Next door to excellent restaurants.

Owners are very helpful and gave me a number of great tips.

Great breakfast - all you could wish for.

Room Tip: My room was next to the bathroom - so if you are sensitive to noise you may want to choose one furth...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 20, 2013

They own a few houses, and the service was very good. They were expecting us, and all communication was smooth. The kitchen is self service, so we could warm up our food there, and prepare something. The sitting area was nice too. I can recommend it .)

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We arrived in Hofn planning to drive further east but we were tired. The lobster restaurant Humarhofnin was too appealing and we decided to spend the night. I looked across the street and saw Guesthouse Dyngja and ran over and secured the last room :) The house is charming and spotless and we had a room that was spacious and looked out over the harbor.
Simtryi took good care of us and in the morning we met Fanney and they are warm and lovely people.
I really recommend the guesthouse experience in Iceland and Dyngja in particular :)

Room Tip: Overlooking the harbor is nice.
Reviewed July 18, 2013

The guesthouse Dyngja in Höfn was recommended warmly in Tripadvisor but we were not impressed by it. We would certainly rate it the less good but most pricey lodgings in our 6 day Iceland round-trip. This may be due to the Höfn place being expensive generally as the gateway to the most stunning glaciers in Iceland, so if you don't need the glaciers, choose another city for your overnight.
The bedding is only so-so, and disappointed we were as we had growing accustomed to fluffy eiderdowns and super comfy mattresses in other guesthouses
The owners try hard to look welcoming, thank you for that, but otherwise it is business business.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank raobert
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Guesthouse Dyngja is a beautiful guesthouse in the small town (but big in Iceland!) of Höfn. I didn't stay anywhere in Iceland that wasn't nice, but I think this was the nicest of the 9 places I stayed in during my trip. The decor and style throughout was very nice and cool, exactly what you would hope for in Iceland.

My husband and I stayed in a small double room, which was upstairs, which was 13900ISK in June. There were three or four rooms upstairs sharing a bathroom. Sometimes there was a wait, but there is also another bathroom on the main floor. Our room was, of course, small, with just enough room for the bed and the night stands. We had to put our suitcases on the bed to open them, but that was fine with us as we knew in advance the room was small! The walls were white and the bedspread and pillows were bright colours.

This was a guesthouse where I truly wanted to spend time in the common area. The living room was large. There were a few little seating areas, a spot to put your laptop, and, best of all, the record player and records. It was nice to sit down there in the evening with a record on while writing in my journal.

The breakfast was continental style but I could tell that the items were high quality. Very tasty. Free wifi worked well. The upstairs bathroom had only a shower and toilet, but lots of counter space. There is a tub in the downstairs bathroom.

Unfortunately the owners were out of town, but the young lady who was working (didn't catch her name) was really nice, friendly and helpful.

Definitely recommend.

Tip: The lobster restaurant across the street is very expensive. If you want something slightly less expensive, try Kaffi Hornid.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hofn
Fosshotel Vatnajokull
Hotel Smyrlabjorg
#1 of 1 in Skalafell
Seljavellir Guesthouse
Guesthouse Skalafell

Been to Guesthouse Dyngja? Share your experiences!