“Good rooms but even better food!”
Review of Hali Country Hotel

Hali Country Hotel
Ranked #2 of 19 Hofn B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 29, 2012

I was scared to have dinner here after reading the most recent review, and I have to say (thankfully) that I went ahead and had the buffett, and it turned out to be the best meal I've had in Iceland so far, and this is my second trip to the country. There were 7 of us for dinner, and we arrived a bit on the late side. The chef walked us through the various options of "farm to table" local cuisine, which was fantastic. There was trout, arctic char, and lamb from the property, in addition to a delicious wild reindeer pate. Everything was especially fresh, and essentially made to order when we arrived. I highly recommend this dinner - it was also very good value, in my opinion. Service was very good as well. One thing to note- this hotel is not in Hofn - it's about 9km east of the Glacial Lagoon on Route 1, and an ideal location as a result.

Room Tip: Rooms 24, 25 and 26 are in a separate wing if you are with a big group and want to share a bathroom.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank MLMR

Reviewed June 25, 2012

Agree about the proximity to Jokulsarlon lagoon, this is an ideal spot that is absolutely beautiful! Unfortunately there were a few things about this hotel that are not ideal. Don't get me wrong, there are good things too, like clean rooms and a nice shower. However, the food at the restaurant was the worst we had in our 2 week Iceland trip. It would not have been so bad if the price matched the quality of food, but this was not the case, it is very expensive. Specifically, the lamb dinner entree was horrible! The meat was dry and tasted re-heated from previous days. The side dishes, which were even worse, included canned peas (army pants green color) and carrots, half a potato that wasn't even cooked right, and some other kind of canned red cabbage salad that we found in all-you-can-eat buffets at the petrol stations. They coat the lamb with a nasty sauce to compensate for the dryness. Also, they do not offer any child portions (or prices of course). The Artic char entree was no better, with exactly the same side dishes. At lunch, we ordered the lamb soup, which was basically cabbage soup with 2-3 tiny fatty pieces of lamb. We had better lamb soup in so many other places in Iceland (best one was at the Gullfoss cafe). They claim to farm their own char and lamb, so were excited to try it, and were severely disappointed and felt quite ripped off. It would have been nice to know they had a kitchen guests could use, but this info was not offered at check-in. Also, if the wind is blowing a certain direction, the entire area smells like cow manure, which we didn't smell in any other place in Iceland.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank lovetotravelnowUsa
Management response:Responded July 2, 2012

Hello.

I want to say I am really sorry about your experience here in Hali. We always want to do our best for our guest. Unfortunately, we did not succeed this time and I am really, really sorry about that.

I wish we had explained better everything for you and your family about the food in our restaurant. We are serving traditional Icelandic food, like our fish, Arctic Char and lamb from farm Hali and we serve it traditional like we are used to here in Iceland. Lamb with fresh salad, red cabbage, beans and carrots and our homemade rhubarb jam, and the gravy or sauce we Icelanders always have on the meat.

I am really sorry about the food this evening but I am glad to hear that you have had a good time in your visit in Iceland. I wish you and your family all the best and can only say now I am very sorry if you were disappointed during your stay.

Reviewed June 19, 2012

Others have mentioned the proximity to Jokulsarlon which is truly amazing. visitng in late April we caught it in a myriad of giuses stromy and brooding, full sun and ethereal in the moonlight. Don't think you have seen all you can from the shore the boat trip is amazing and gives you a totally different perspective. We also spent several hours on the beach, a short walk from jokulsarlon watching the sea timble icebergs and strew them in the black sand. There is nowhere quite like this.
The breakfast was varied for the size of etablishment and plentiful and the staff friendly and helpful. Having booked bed and breakfast via an Icelandic tour company, 'all Iceland' in an ensuite we hadn't realised that also gave us access to a beautifully fitted out kitchen and lounge area. A real advantage if we'd known as you are far away from the madding crowd. View from our window out over a laggon and once outside of moutains, cliffs and vatnojokull itself. Jaw-droppingly beautiful. Not the cheapest but well worth it.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 10, 2012

we enjoyed the stay and food at this nice place.
The location did fit well into our planning and the house is easy to find due to the orginal outside which is several book covers like in a book shelf.

we had the trout which comes from the farm next door.
All in all a nice common place with very good fish.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 2, 2012

Excellent Guesthouse.
People are very helpful and kind.
It's very clean, big kitchen, and a a great view from everywhere you are (kitchen, livingroom, rooms)

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Hali Country Hotel was a good stay for two nights. At a total of 47600 Kr (US$370) it was a little on the pricey side.

It is just 14kms from Jokulsarlon (Glacier Lagoon) and before the town of Hofn. Look from the main road towards the sea and see a long building with giant book spines along it. It was a good location in a tiny village.

They did not have the option to book online - only via email, which they wanted me to send my credit card number! No way! I asked for a fax so I could send it that way instead. They said never mind about paying a deposit if I can just give my full name and nationality!

There are two buildings a short walk or drive from the main building which has the restaurant and museum (didn't check it out) and were recently refurbished. We were in room 38 which faced the mountains and provided a much nicer view than towards the sea. There were about 8-10 rooms with private bathroom and around 3 or so that shared a bathroom. There was also a large communal kitchen and living room area and while we were there one night we noticed some people camping outside.

Our room was fine; typical European beds (two pushed together with individual comforters), a small table, one chair, two nightstands and flat screen TV. Lights above the bed were great for reading. The room was warm and had very good black out curtains since this time of year it doesn't get fully dark.

The heated bathroom floors were wonderful, but the water didn't get as hot as I would like. The shower was at least a little bigger than usual which was nice. Soap only was provided, so bring your own shampoo and conditioner to Iceland as we never saw any at any place we stayed. Wifi was free and strong in our room, which was the best we had. Overall it was a very comfortable and modern style room.

The staff were very nice and even so accommodating as to serve us dinner at 9pm when dinner was from 6.30-8pm (very early compared to the later nights in Reykjaik). They farm their own lamb and fish, so the lamb and char dishes were excellent! The best fish I've had this whole trip. Breakfast (served 8-10am) is included and was the typical European style with cereal, breads, ham, cheese, boiled egg, tea and coffee etc.

Overall I recommend this place.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed May 28, 2012

This is a really brilliant place to stay, well placed for some of the best locations in South Iceland. The accomodation right by the sea looks a bit simple on arriving but inside it is very comfortable and well equipped. The rooms are spacious clean and comfortable, there are both en suite and rooms with shared facilities. The communal sitting/living area is really excellent, bright, comfortable, fantastic views, fast wifi. The resturant run by the owner is five minutes walk away and the food is home cooked and good, I recommend the Arctic Char. The Jokulsarlon (Glacier Lagoon) just 12 kls away.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hofn
Fosshotel Glacier Lagoon
#3 of 4 in Hofn
Gerdi Guesthouse
Gerdi Guesthouse
#8 of 19 in Hofn

Been to Hali Country Hotel? Share your experiences!