“Reindeer Burgers!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Kaffi Hornid

Kaffi Hornid
Ranked #4 of 12 Restaurants in Hofn
Cuisines: Seafood, European, Soups, Scandinavian, International
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Kaffihornid - About us Kaffi Hornid brings the best local ingredients to the table right on Hofn's main road sits Kaffi Hornid, where you can find seafood brought straight from sea to the table and a tempting selection of dishes from filling plates of lamb to salads topped with chicken or lobster. Soup is served daily with homemade bread and a salad bar is open for guests who want a small but filling lunch. The menu is large, with sea food and local specialities like lamb and beef featuring prominently, although vegetarians are not left out as a dish of pan-fried chickpea cutlets remains one of the more popular dishes. This restaurant and cafe, with airy cathedral ceilings and ample seating for guests has been successful since opening in 1999, alternating as a restaurant, cafe and bar. Kaffi Hornid's owners, husband and wife Ingolfur Einarsson and Kristin Oladottir, have made good use of Hofn's prized local food: the langoustine. Found just off Hofn' s coast and widely celebrated as a town delicacy, the lobster-like creature known as langoustine features prominently in Kaffi Hornid's menu with an entire section devoted to dishes showcasing the succulent shellfish in every price range. The langoustine is distinguished from lobster because it is much smaller and its meat is said to be sweeter. While plentiful in Europe anwaters, langoustines, better known as scampi, are scarcely found in North America and whenever served at restaurants they have been shipped frozen because their delicate meat does not survive the journey. Fortunately for Hofn and Kaffi Hornid the langoustines are freshly caught each day for visitors to taste. Fresh fish, also caught daily, lamb and beef from nearby farms and chicken dishes round out the menu. Pizzas are made to order with a special langoustine pizza for guests who want to try a twist on toppings. Icecream made at Arbaer, a dairy farm a few kilometres from Kaffi Hornid, tantalises visitors with homemade flavours like chocolate licoric.
Toronto, Canada
“Reindeer Burgers!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

I'm glad we took advantage of ordering reindeer burgs when we did, because we didn't see them on any menu after Hofn!

The resto is a solid mix of locals and travellers--many football-mad Icelanders were in the adjacent room drinking pints and watching a match while we were there. It was fun to hear the lively hollers and cheers.

The paprika soup was filling and gently spiced--a double portion really. And, even though I hesitated at ordering a $25 burger--it is an original and authentic Iceland. We needed to take a break from gas station hot dogs (though we are missing those already now that we're back home)-- and the fries are some of the best I've had. Hot and salty and great vehicles to swipe up the burger's blue cheese drippings.

A great joint--had we stayed in Hofn longer I would have returned for another burger. Really.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
mumbai
“yum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

I had the langoustine (Icelandic lobster/scampi) sandwich and was amazed and pleased to see it loaded up with veggies on homemade bread. Of course, as with all Icelandic servings of food, it was enormous.
My friend enjoyed a langoustine pizza as well as pasta and the asparagus soup (very tasty) with fresh bread. We were too stuffed for dessert, sadly.

Visited October 2013
“Hit our lobster spot! So unexpected!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

Only a few options in hofn and we were lucky we picked this one. Figured since we were in hofn, known for its lobster, we'd try some lobster. I got the lobster soup and bacalao (cod) w/ red pepper sauce. The soup was rich and so flavorful, sopped up all of it w/ my bread. My fish was perfectly cooked, the sauce wonderful and it came w/ a potato pancake (rosti), salad and veggies - all very good. My husband ordered cheesy garlic bread and the lobster pasta....he was in love. It was spiral pasta in a light, garlicky, creamy sauce w/ peppers and a fair amount of lobster. Mmmm, such a great meal!
Oh yeah, also got the carrot cake to go (take away in Iceland) and it was fantastic. Almost like a pumpkin roll, but w/ carrot cake instead of pumpkin. ( :

Havre de Grace, Maryland
“Must Stop in Hofn”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

This is the third time I have eaten here and I must say that I have never been disappointed. This latest visit my wife and I shared the delectable lobster pizza, perfectly prepared on a thin crust with local cheeses and lobster, topped with fresh greens. Absolutely delicious!

I also had fresh-brewed iced tea that was terrific.

The seating is rather open, but nice and uncrowded. The wait staff is excellent. Hats off to the chef!

UK
“Glad we followed TA recommendations”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

We drove around and could not find anywhere else other than a strange looking place by the dock area. Chose here as TA reviews good. At first, unsure - some quite offputting locals, torn seats and a bit in need of a spruce up. But lovely friendly service and we enjoyed our meal. I would imagine in season it could get quite full quickly.We had two draught beers, two chicken breasts with rosti, two apple pies and bill was 13,200 ISK.

Visited September 2013