“Professional and well-organised trail rides”

Ishestar Horse Riding Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Ishestar Stables offers great facilities for riders. It’s set in beautiful surroundings just outside the town of Hafnarfjordur, about 10 minutes drive from Reykjavik. The facilities and its beautiful surroundings provide endless opportunities for riding, hiking, and other outdoor activities. We welcome individuals, families and all kinds of groups who want to enjoy themselves outdoors. The facilities offer people an easy way to enjoy our horses and the experience of our staff will ensure the safety of all our guests. The locker room of the Stables is well equipped. All customers are provided with warm overalls, rain gear, riding boots and helmets in all sizes. The Ishestar staff take pride in finding horses to suit individual needs as well as secure the safety of everybody. Ishestar offers daily riding tours at 10:00 and 14:00 during the whole year, both for beginners and advanced riders.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase
Melbourne, Australia
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Professional and well-organised trail rides”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I've been on several trail rides around the world, but this was the best organised of the lot. Our group of about 20 people were accompanied by four guides for the first fifteen minutes of the tour, then they divided the group: one guide led the advanced group (which I joined) and the other three stayed with the beginners. All four of our guides were friendly and professional and attentive. We had a chance to try out the Icelandic horse's unique gait "toelt" several times, and also cantered for a while.
Just before we arrived back at the stables as we were riding along a road, a car came up from behind faster than he should have been travelling and spooked my horse. She lost her footing and threw me, then bolted. The guide's reaction was great: her first concern was for my safety, then for the other riders. Everyone was asked to dismount and we all walked back together - as she said on the way, this is their safety policy in case of an incident. I was not seriously injured but I'm sure the staff would've taken care of me if I had been.
I would definitely go back to Ishestar the next time I'm in Iceland.

Visited February 2013
ishestar, Manager at Ishestar Horse Riding Tours, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
I am so glad you were not injured and happy to hear that you will be riding with us again next time you are in Iceland.
Thankfully incidents like this are very rare and the horses are calm around cars, but like you said, the driver was going too fast. (There is only a short part of the tour where we go on a road and drivers are generally respectful of the horses.)
Our first concern is always the safety and well being of our guests and the guide reacted appropriately to the situation. The horse (Embla) ran home and met you at the stable when you arrived. She says she is sorry she got spooked and left you.
I hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay in Iceland and we at Íshestar look forward to meeting you again.

Best regards,
Silja Birgisdóttir
Office Manager

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
Thornhill, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Loved, loved, loved it!”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

A friend and I went on a 3 hour ride on a recent trip to Iceland. Both of us are experienced riders at home in Canada, but we wanted to see what it was like to ride in Iceland. Both of us loved it! Our guide was young and friendly and shared with us her own experiences of riding in Denmark before she came to Iceland. She was very helpful throughout the afternoon starting with helping us to "suit up" in winter riding gear, and then in coaching us through how to ride our mounts according to Icelandic riding protocol. She gave us and the horses frequent breaks and pointed out sites of interest to us along the way. Needless to say, the scenery was breathtaking. I fell in love with my horse - a beautiful, spirited, but willing and sweet chestnut Icelandic horse. He carried me willingly through the three hours, never tired, and never put a foot wrong. I did want to take him home with me by the end of the ride. All in all, a great time, even if you are an experienced rider. I plan to return in the summer and do a cross-country multi-day ride. I need more time to perfect that wonderful, smooth 5th gait of the Icelandic horse - the tolt!

Visited January 2013
Detroit, Michigan
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Great Experience!”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

This was my first time riding, so I was a bit nervous to do so. However, being in Iceland, and knowing that the horses are smaller, so I would be closer to the ground if I fell, made me enthusiastic to try!
The guide was very informative. She started by showing us all of the rules and safety procedures. The horses are very tame and follow along with the group. The day tour was perfect. I got to see a lot of the surrounding landscape. Perfect length of time as well.

Visited June 2012
Beckenham, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Ishester horse riding”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Very friendly & helpful guides. You will want to take your sweet natured horse home. Do wear the provided overalls & boots. Prepare to be nuzzled.

Nutley, New Jersey
“An excellent experience”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We went on a day tour with Ishestar with a group of 6 and had an amazing day. The guides were very helpful and were sure to check on each rider to make sure they were doing ok during the ride. They also handpicked horses for each of us based on our sizes and past riding experiences.

There were a few other riders that came on the tour with us who weren't as comfortable so they split off with another guide halfway through so that they could take it easier and we could get a bit more adventurous. Even while we were riding quicker and attempting different gaits, the guides were moving through the ranks and showing us how to hold the reigns to get the gait just right, including the tölt, a gait exclusive to Icelandic horses.

The guides were all very friendly and we all had an excellent time.

Visited January 2013