“Good value for the money, peaceful surroundings”

Viking Village Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Hafnarfjordur
Reviewed July 14, 2011

We travelled as a couple in july 2011 and stayed in the viking village hotel. I would definitely recommend this place although it's not quite in the center of the reykjavik. This can also be a good thing because it was very quiet to sleep at nights. ( I don't know it the same can be said on some of the hotels in the center).

The room we had was big and clean. The breakfast was simple but very good. Staff was friendly. Hotel has also some free parking spots which is great if you are traveling by car. There is one free computer to be used for free internet in the lobby. There was no free wifi in the rooms as what I was aware of.

The only slight negative was that there is a sauna / outdoor dipping-pool but these did not seem to be functioning at the time we were there.

The viking theme in the hotel / restaurant can appeal to some people or you could find it a bit tacky. Great hotel for the value anyway.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 24, 2011

Viking themed hotel whose viking wannabbees spilled out from the viking restaurant loud and fairly inebriated at all hours of the night. They then all seemed to leave at around 430am so the best you could be assured of was around 4 hours sleep if you were lucky. The hot tub is revolting - when we were there the large ugly flies were taking up too much space for humans to have a go. The rooms are certainly not "luxurious" by any standard. Don't wash to vigorously in the shower as your elbows will be bruised and battered as the space is so small. You only get one small bath towel, so ladies if you want to wash your hair as well as your body then you're in touble. The owner is a miserable and unhelpful hindrance to the hotel. I got to the breakfast room around 710 one morning (it opens at 7) tried to get a coffee but the machine had not been switched on. I said not one word, but he came and told me that if I wanted a coffee, why hadn't I made one in my room. How I didn't beat him up by this stage I'll never know! Given our party had booked I believe 9 rooms for a business meeting over 3 or 4 days we were attending in the town, one whould have thought he would have shown some courtesies to us - but this was not to be. And if you arrive when the viking stuff is going on opposite, you can't get into hotel and you have to wander round trying to find someone to let you in. All in all a pretty dire experience, which culminated in all our party being charged over the rate we have first been quoted. It would have been nice, in line with all other DECENT hotels in Iceland, to have had black-out blinds at the windows, as if you are not used to it, it is difficult to sllep through a night time of daylight. Not only were there no black-outs, my curtains didn't even meet in the middle! An experience I shall not be repeating.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
6  Thank ladybird17
Reviewed May 15, 2011

We stayed in the hotel „Viking” 4 nights. The hotel is located in a nice town and only 10 km away from Reykjavik. I used a special spring offer and booked a room with twin beds for a very nice price ($ 38/ night/room). Actually, we got a room with three beds. Our room was small, but cosy and warm, with tea/coffee making facilities. The hotel is full of viking articles and accesories.
However, there are some issues. The first: the warm and lukewarm water was with a real smell of sulphur. After taking a shower the entire bathroom smelled of sulphur. The second: you can meet someone in the reception only in mornings; in the rest of the day you have to call or look for somebody in the restaurant over the street. The third: very limited choice of TV channels. This is not the most important thing, but in the evening, after a long day in a fresh air, TV could be useful. We had only one channel in english (news); other 4 channels (music, cartoons, news, films) – in icelandic. The fourth: a bit limited and repetitious choice of breakfast.
My opinion is that the Viking restaurant over the street is overpriced.

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank andris75
Reviewed October 22, 2010

A good location at the start of our holiday. Hotel was atmospheric, quiet and relaxing - in September - though may be not in the holiday season. Our deluxe room was comfortable, though not spotless and the tub in the bathroom huge, but would not be suitable for everyone, quite a stretch to get into it - see picture.
The hot pot at the back of the hotel was not in the most picturesque of places but was lovely to soak in.
A good breakfast and a chance to buy gifts for the family.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 2, 2010

We really enjoyed our stay at Viking Village. It is not a Ritz Carlton but it also doesn't cost as much as a Ritz Carlton. The breakfast is great. There are plenty of options for Europeans (meats and cheeses) and Americans (Corn Flakes and Granola) and there were at least two types of fresh bread for toast every morning. The staff was extremely nice and accommodating. The two of us are a handful so that is saying a lot. The hotel overlooks a serene harbor and the rooms are spacious (larger than you'll find in any Swedish hotel). Americans beware, the water smells of sulfur (rotten eggs). That is the way it is in Iceland because the hot water comes from the hot springs. This isn't what you are used to and neither were we. A quick fix to the shower problem is to go to the local pool!! Icelandic people love pools so there are a lot of them and we spent a couple dollars (I think $3) to go to the local pool/gym in the mornings. The water doesn't smell there because they filter it for the pool and hot tubs. We got some exercise and relaxation in before a full day of hiking and sightseeing. We will be staying there again and would recommend it to friends.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JMBoston_9
Reviewed August 5, 2010

My friend and I stayed here for 3 nights and were a bit disappointed, especially in comparison with other 7 hotels we happened to stay in during our trip around island later on.
The design of it is quite remarkable by idea and obviously was made with great deal of knowledge, taste, investment and appreciation for the Scandinavian history and culture. That becomes especially obvious after visiting the restaurant right by the hotel. And the more one appreciates the environment, the more pittiful it seems to discover the bad management of it.
The corridors, sitting rooms, dining room (where breakfasts are) and the hot tub area were filthy. While the hot tub and sauna are supposed to be working only till 23:00, one would expect it to be cleaned and maintained sometimes, which in time of our stay there had never happened and sauna never worked.
We got the nice room on the second floor with balcony (no complaints there), but during our 3 nights stay it has never been cleaned and sheets' got never changed. Once the maid knocked in the door and offered fresh towels, we asked her to clean our room and offered to free it in 5 minutes, she promised to do so, but when we returned in several hours the room remained unclean.
The same 2 girls (one blond, one brunette) that registered us in the hotel worked in the nearby restaurant and we encountered them often. The brunette one is quite rude I'd suggest avoiding interaction with her when possible. We had her serving us with our friend Icelander in the restaurant and even he was embarrassed and appauled by her behavior.
The owner of the hotel seems to be a nice man, who is always there, so we wondered why he ignores the obvious disfunction of his staff.
The restaurant is quite overpriced, the menu is repetative with very limited choice. The breakfasts in the hotel though are good and tasty with fair choice of meat, breads and cereals, good coffee, juices and teas.
Overall, it might be a good place to see and stay for 1 night, but no more than that and ...don't raise your expectations based on some reviews and video as we did, then you won't be so disapponted.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank Astarnet
Reviewed April 15, 2010

The vikings were known by their hospitality. Actually, being kind to your guest was one of the "rules" included in the Hávamál, attributed to the own Odin, the father of nordic gods. And here in the Viking Hotel this rule is taken very seriously. I had a very warm reception by Jóhannes and his family. Definitely, when coming to Iceland, one must visit Fjörukráin, the Viking Village, and spend at least one or two nights at the Viking Hotel.

LOCATION
Fjörukráin is located in Hafnarfjördur, a small town on the way to Reykjavik, if you´re coming from the Keflavik Airport. The town itself doesn´t offer much for fun (if you´re looking for nightlife), except for the Viking Village. There is a shopping mall two blocks away, with some stores, snack bars and a supermarket. There are also two small museums and one can plan excursions to watch the whales and ride the Icelandic horses.

The hotel is on the road, so it´s easy to get there. The bus (the Flybus) stops in front of it.
As it is on the way from Reykjavik to Keflavik Airport, it is also on the way to the Blue Lagoon, so one can plan the visit to Fjörukráin together with the Blue Lagoon Tour (the bus towards the Blue Lagoon also stops in front of the Viking Hotel).

HOTEL AMENITIES
The hotel is very charming and cozy, finely decorated with crafts from Iceland. Next to the reception, there is a restaurant/bar (where breakfast is served in the morning), and there are many viking itens and crafts to sell (the hotel has a small store). The Viking restaurant is just next to the hotel. There is also a geothermal hot pool in the yard. Behind the reception, it is the Cave, a bar where vikings take kidnapped people to drink mead (read more about Viking Kidnapping below).

ROOM
I had a single room, number 27, on the ground floor, with viking style decoration (rustic wood wardrobes, bed and tables). There was TV, reading lamp, coffee maker with coffee and tea. Bathrrom was small, but functional. The only problem was that the shower place was a little small. Water had good pressure and no problem at all with the hot water. Everything was very clean.
My room´s window faced the yard and the hot tube. but it was very quiet.
The bed and pillow were very comfortable and I had a very good sleep quality.

SERVICE
I have nothing to complain about the service I received. Everybody was so nice, kind and polite with me. Jóhannes, the owner and manager, was really a viking, with his good humour and kindness. Everybody was very helpful and gave all the informations I needed to continue my trip.

Breakfast is included in the fee and is very good and strong, with milk, coffee, cocoa, juices, breads, cheese and ham, and other ham-like food.

The service at the restaurnt is also perfect. The meal I had was very nice, well prepared and well served. One can request the Viking Performance, which is a viking "kidnapping", where the person is kidnapped from the bus or room and sent to the restaurant to have a true viking meal or to the Cave, to have some mead.

The Viking Village also offers many activities throughout the year. like the Viking Festival, the Thorrablot, the Viking Market...

There is wifi free of charge, but it didn´t work well in my room. There is also computer with free access to the internet, at the lobby.

The hotel offers also free parking lot.

FINAL CONSIDERATIONS
I highly recommend staying at the Viking Hotel and visiting the Viking Village. One can plan the tour to the Blue Lagoon from there, when arriving or leaving Iceland, as it is on the way to the airport.
It was an amazing experience being in Fjörukráin and surely I´ll be back! Thank you Jóhannes and family for the great moments in Hafnarfjördur! My Viking Trail wouldn´t have been so special without you.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
3  Thank Viking_Janaluna
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hafnarfjordur
Hotel Laxnes
#2 of 3 in Grindavik
Kriunes Hotel
Kriunes Hotel
#1 of 2 in Kopavogur

Been to Viking Village Hotel? Share your experiences!