“A Rip-Off at Unexpected $1,100 per Truck”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Mountain Taxi

and up
Highlights of Iceland Small-Group Day Trip from Reykjavik by Super Jeep
Ranked #3 of 13 Tours in Hafnarfjordur
More attraction details
Owner description: Mountain Taxi has cared for Superjeep & adventure travellers in Iceland since 1995. Day trips, longer tours, private travel, expeditions, VIP service and DMC. Personal attention and service to all discerning Iceland visitors. Expert help to make the utmost of your Iceland visit is just a call or mail away. The Mountain Taxi team.
Saint Louis, Missouri
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“A Rip-Off at Unexpected $1,100 per Truck”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2014

We booked the Mountain Taxi via tourist information at the Natura Hotel for April 8, 2014. The price we we were quoted was $700/truck.

Upon returning to the USA we were billed $1,100/truck.There is no contract and Mountain Taxi points to the 125.000 ISK website.

The The Mountain Taxi website (http://mountaintaxi.is/tour/self-drive-golden-circle-glacier/) states:

"Price: 125.000.- ISK Duration: 8-10 hours Approx.. 350 Km.
Included: Toyota Hilux 4×4 truck 38” tires Your private instructor 8-10 hours of great fun."

Besides being quoted the wrong price, here's what we got:

Mountain Taxi did not have a vehicle available, and subcontracted to "I Drive Island'. We got 2 Toyota Hilux trucks, as expected, but only 1 private instructor. Knowledgeable instructor - we tipped him.

We drove on the paved road for 350 km, just like a car trip. That used up 6 hours of out 8 hours. We drove to and saw "spouting Geyser and the golden waterfall Gullfoss" beautiful, just like the car trip - 1 hour. We drove on the black beaches, almost like a car can. The best part, for 45 minutes we drove on steep hills, and 100 yards of creek bed. We drove to a glacier.

We never drove in snow, nor did we drive on a glacier.

Not worth $700/truck. Would be very disappointed at $1,100/truck. A rip-off at an unexpected $1,100/truck.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank Erniesalmi

Durham, North Carolina
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“An experience of a lifetime”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

The tour we took with Mountain Taxi was an experience of a lifetime. Part of the credit is, of course, the awesomeness of Iceland. I was skeptical of the need for a mammoth vehicle, but it enables safe travel on roads or snowbanks that would be otherwise impassible. There are evidently unlicensed and inexperienced individuals who try to take visitors on similar tours as we witnessed one not making it and finding it stuck on our return trip. Besides insurance and legality issues, I definitely recommend sticking with an experience reputable operator.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank ZuberFowler
Washington DC, District of Columbia
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“exciting fun on a glacier”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2014

We had a ball!!!! The road was ice and snow and at times not even a road. We bounced and cruised over rocks, ice and finally up to the top of the glacier. Tossed snow balls around and enjoyed our tour which was called Iceland in a Nutshell. Kristijan was an amazing driver and guide. Telling us stories about the cold valley, a criminal who hid out there for 30 years (the criminal stole a piece of rope back in the day) and of the hidden folk. We went to a lava tube cave, had a wonderful lunch at an isolated "restaurant" - the lamb soup was wonderful and visited a brewery. It was a long day that flew by. The others on the tour were friends I had never met. This is a great tour for all, it's Iceland, you can't help but have fun!!! I highly recommend Mountain Taxi Jeep Tours - the jeep was a Mercedes Benz too.

Visited February 2014
Girdwood, Alaska
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“Best tour ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014

I am pretty hard to please -- someone who HATES large tours and groups and would never take a bus tour in a million years. I came to Iceland this time (this is my fourth time in Iceland) as part of a large conference and went out with Mountain Taxi to get up on a glacier and check out the local operators. I LOVED the entire experience. It helped that I was with an awesome group (we started drinking at 8:30am) but the guides were amazing, and hilarious. Additionally they were really patient with the people (whom I am sure they often encounter) who were woefully unprepared for the conditions (the cold, the ice, etc). VERY courteous and understanding.

Their vehicles are awesome. The stops were good, though my tour description mentioned "passing through" Reykholt and we literally drove through it, did not stop, which was a bummer. These guys do this because they love the outdoors, but the historical aspects would be a nice addition. I was annoyed we did not stop there but it may not be their fault, and I noticed that we passed a bunch of historical things on my other tour that were completely ignored, so it is probably standard here since few people arrive in Iceland knowing anything about the history of the Icelandic people. Being someone who actually cares about that stuff I was sorely outnumbered and no one else felt like s/he was missing out.

The stops we did make were very nice, especially the place we stopped for lunch, which was a nice touch considering the following day I was out with another local operator and lunch was at a cafeteria on the way to wherever. I was mildly surprised to find, at the end of the tour, that the owner himself was leading the pack, and the fact that no one said anything until the end speaks to the modesty of Icelanders. That was a really nice touch. Our guide was hilarious and put up with our Alaskan crap all day long -- we did not even want to call him his name and renamed him Ragnar, which was ignorant but also oddly hilarious. As for the vehicles, they are souped up Expeditions, F350s and Benzes. We did get stuck a few times but the snow was deep and the drive through Cold Valley was beautiful.

I have every intention of coming back and hiring these guys to go out again. I wish we had stopped at Thingvellir and some of the other Golden Circle stuff but only because we pass that stuff and because the day I did that the weather sucked. That is my own personal preference. They have a great product, an amazing service and are very accommodating. I am not a typical tourist, I hate doing anything touristy at all and I had a really awesome time. It will definitely be the best tour I have taken this time around in Iceland and I can't wait to come back and hang with these guys again. When you are in one car and end up hitting it off with the guides in the other vehicles too you know you are on a good tour.

Visited February 2014
Boulder, Colorado
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Extraordinary, memorable tour to Thorsmork”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

The Hotel Ranga helped us set up reservations with Mountain Taxi super jeep tour to Thorsmork, the hotel's sponsored activity of the week during our stay. Kristjan and his wife Bjork picked us up at the hotel at 10am in their Ford Excursion fitted with enormous tires and off we headed east to Thorsmork for the day. We didn't book (or pay for) a private tour but for some reason, my husband and I were the only participants. What a grand day we had, listening to Krisjan and Bjork as they graciously shared information about the area: it's geography, geology, cultural history and folklore. In addition, they drove us to a location which is inaccessible except by jeep during the winter season. We hiked to the remnants of a glacier's tongue edge as well as into one of the many narrow canyons. For lunch, Bjork brought us sandwiches, juice and a welcome thermos of hot coffee. Our time spent here was one of the highlights of our 9-day trip, and when we return to Iceland, we will definitely reserve another tour with Mountain Taxi.

Visited January 2014